Sponsored

RCV 35 spline and axle seals. Could use some help.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
This is a D44 (m210) Per RCV, the factory seals need to be removed, which Ive done. The seals RCV sends you are tube style seals that push in with a couple fingers. (picture below) I have put 2 in each side, inners and outers. One set pushed in from inside the pumpkin, one set pushed in from the axle tube ends. I have put rtv on them.

The trouble is when I try and slide the RCV axles in, it simply pushes the seal down the tube. I have lubed the lips of the seal and the axle shaft to try and help it, but its not working.

I need some input/advice. Do I have to wait for the RTV to dry so the seals are glued into place and wont move so I can then insert the axle shafts?

Screenshot from 2023-01-28 11-33-05.png

IMG_6854.jpg
Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Maybe try installing the outer seals on the shaft all the to the yoke end then sliding the shaft in?

OP
OP

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Well I can answer myself now. Once the rtv dries up some, the axle seal tube will stay in place.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
This is a D44 (m210) Per RCV, the factory seals need to be removed, which Ive done. The seals RCV sends you are tube style seals that push in with a couple fingers. (picture below) I have put 2 in each side, inners and outers. One set pushed in from inside the pumpkin, one set pushed in from the axle tube ends. I have put rtv on them.

The trouble is when I try and slide the RCV axles in, it simply pushes the seal down the tube. I have lubed the lips of the seal and the axle shaft to try and help it, but its not working.

I need some input/advice. Do I have to wait for the RTV to dry so the seals are glued into place and wont move so I can then insert the axle shafts?

Jeep Wrangler JL RCV 35 spline and axle seals.  Could use some help. IMG_6854

Jeep Wrangler JL RCV 35 spline and axle seals.  Could use some help. IMG_6854
I'm not even seeing your specific outer tube seals on their site. I added the outer seals when I installed the 2-piece RCV's and they are completely different. These have shouldered housings to keep them in place, grease fittings, and are rebuildable.

https://www.rcvperformance.com/tube-seals-for-a-jeep-wrangler-jl-rubicon.html

And pics of mine. Zoom into the seals at the top of the first one, for a better view...

Jeep Wrangler JL RCV 35 spline and axle seals.  Could use some help. 20211002_104638
Jeep Wrangler JL RCV 35 spline and axle seals.  Could use some help. 20211002_173921

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
That in your picture is exactly the same as mine. Have not stabbed them yet but very soon.
To OP....There is virtually no mention of removing the inner seals, just to be careful not to damage them.

Have they changed the design recently ?

Sponsored

chicknwaffles

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 rubicon
I'm not even seeing your specific outer tube seals on their site. I added the outer seals when I installed the 2-piece RCV's and they are completely different. These have shouldered housings to keep them in place, grease fittings, and are rebuildable.

And pics of mine. Zoom into the seals at the top of the first one, for a better view...

Jeep Wrangler JL RCV 35 spline and axle seals.  Could use some help. 20211002_173921
for the price of just dynatrac ball joints it seems to make sense to just get this whole set instead

OP
OP

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
That in your picture is exactly the same as mine. Have not stabbed them yet but very soon.
To OP....There is virtually no mention of removing the inner seals, just to be careful not to damage them.

Have they changed the design recently ?
It's only with the 35 spline that you have to remove the OEM seals.

OP
OP

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU

You got all the good parts there. Jealous. Yeah I went back and forth on those seals RCV sells. I imagine I'll put them in one day, ya know, when I take it all back apart to get them fancy Reid Racing knuckles. 😛

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It's only with the 35 spline that you have to remove the OEM seals.
I wasn't aware of different spline count shafts for the factory Dana 44's. How does that affect the portion of the shafts that ride on the seals?

OP
OP

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I wasn't aware of different spline count shafts for the factory Dana 44's. How does that affect the portion of the shafts that ride on the seals?
So I installed the 35 spline ARB locker as well. The overall dimension of the axle shafts are thicker which means they wont fit into the factory axle seals. Thats why you have to knock them out and use the supplied seals from RCV.

I didn't know this before installation, and in hindsight I'm not so sure I would have gone the 35 spline route. It's incredibly frustrating since RCV doesn't include even one sentence of instructions with the kit. They have the 32 spline install vid (which itself leaves out tons of tips and tricks), but it doesn't address the issues you'll encounter moving up to the 35 spline shafts.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
OP
OP

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
have to ask. what is the advantage of the arb locker?
The axle housing I bought was pretty stripped. It was in a fire and I got it cheap. It didn't come with a locker or gears or anything so I'm building it pretty much from scratch. Since I already have an ARB locker in the rear and onboard air, I decided to put an ARB locker in the front too.
Sponsored