RC Spacer Lift Cost and extra work

Mark7411

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Can someone let know what all is required or recommend it when doing a spacer left.

The place installing it is recommending all of this extra work. Is it really necessary, and is it priced right.

I’m going to run 315/70/17 on the JL stock black rim.

Thanks for your help

Rough Country Lift $180.00
Labor $220.00
Alignment $120.00

That would cover your lift.

Rough Country Spare Tire Relocation Bracket (Jeep JL) $80.00
Labor $50.00

The adjustable track bar is to help correct the geometry of the front axle so both front tires sit in the same location on both sides of the vehicle. Recommended.

Rough Country Forged Adjustable Track Bar $140.00
Labor $100.00

The dual steering stabilizer is to help tighten the steering at the elevated level not required, but I do recommend.

Rough Country Dual Steering Stabilizer $125.00
Labor $100.00

With using the factory wheels Rough Country says the spacers are definitely necessary.
Sponsored

Luvmejeeps

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport. 2004 TJ
The only thing that's an absolute MUST have are the wheel spacers...

BUT...i would do the front adj TB along with the install. Id skip the stabilizer for now untill you know its caster is ok and how it drives. Not every jeep is the same. Some come with its caster at low spec from the factory,and 2.5 of lift can make it go out of spec. If so you might need to add lca's or geo drop brackets to correct it. Once you know its all in spec youll have a better idea if you need the steering stabilizer or not.

And youll need something to fit that size spare tire on the back.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
The only thing that's an absolute MUST have are the wheel spacers...

BUT...i would do the front adj TB along with the install. Id skip the stabilizer for now untill you know its caster is ok and how it drives. Not every jeep is the same. Some come with its caster at low spec from the factory,and 2.5 of lift can make it go out of spec. If so you might need to add lca's or geo drop brackets to correct it. Once you know its all in spec youll have a better idea if you need the steering stabilizer or not.

And youll need something to fit that size spare tire on the back.
I see “Rough Country Spare Tire Relocation Bracket (Jeep JL) $80.00
Labor $50.00 »
;)

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
I've considered the RC spacer lift myself. This is all good info to know. Might hold off for a while still.

But why does OP "need" something to fit that size spare on the OEM spare bracket? I assume the subject JL is a Moab, is the spare bracket and/or bumper different?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
My 1st Spacer lift was done by Les Schwab tire $425 out the door including alighment which is a nothing burger. That was parts and labor provided by them. I later upgraded to a 3.5 spring /shock lift. You should be able to get a lift parts and labor $500 or less.

I recommend take the labor $$$ buy some tools and DIY that way you also learn about the wranglers suspension, it is a valuable excersize. There are some great youtube vids that will walk you through the entire installation.

Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
I had the RC spacer lift on my Rubicon, it was awesome. I believe I paid approximately $200 for the install and alignment. I was running 35’s with the lift and never had an issue with rubbing etc. Only reason I switched out the spacer lift is because I upgraded to the 2” Dynatrac lift.

I also used the RC spare tire relocation bracket, it’s pretty straight forward and easy to install. I still have mine in the garage. I’m currently running the Teraflex Alpha carrier, mainly because I wanted to be able to adjust the rear tire, and liked the look of it.

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I would offer a word of caution on installing the lift yourself. I put in a spacer lift on my 19’ JLUR about 2 weeks ago and managed pinch the front locker wire. $386 later to splice in a new one. I’ve installed lifts, shocks and struts on 4Runners and other vehicles. I’m not an expert but not a novice. In my case I wasted the time and still paid the money. It may have been a weird aberration and certainly only a risk on the Rubi. Just food for thought.

nibeckd

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Process are reasonable. Adjustible track bar and stabilizer would be optional. Guessing the front end alignment is to re-enter steering wheel.

Mr.Smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X
I have the RC lift and tire relocation bracket. I installed both myself but I would say $220 would be a fair install for the lift. The relocation bracket you can do yourself. As for alignment. Mine didnt change except the steering wheel was off. I had my shop check it out and they said alignement was perfect and they just charged $25 to align steering wheel. Mine rides the same as stock according to the toughest critic, my wife. As for wheel spacers I am running 1.75" from synergy. I have stock wheels and 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. If your running stock or 35s you wont need then.

20190623_195028.jpg

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
I would offer a word of caution on installing the lift yourself. I put in a spacer lift on my 19’ JLUR about 2 weeks ago and managed pinch the front locker wire. $386 later to splice in a new one. I’ve installed lifts, shocks and struts on 4Runners and other vehicles. I’m not an expert but not a novice. In my case I wasted the time and still paid the money. It may have been a weird aberration and certainly only a risk on the Rubi. Just food for thought.
That’s why after contemplating doing the install myself, I decided to pay a professional to do it. While I’m curious enough to try and I think competent enough to achieve it, between the time that I would spend on it and the risk of damaging things, it might end up costing me more than what I’d be saving...
For the ones running 35s and the RC relocation bracket, are you only using this ? No other reinforcement anything ? Any tailgate warp ?

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I would suggest the same thing the shop did minus the steering stabilizer. Nothing crazy on that list.

$120 is a bit high for an alignment. I'd expect to pay about $80.

The track bar is 2 bolts so $100 is high for labor. The trackbar will need to be adjusted, this is 90% of your alignment. Also the stock one is usually loosened or removed during lift install so they seem to be triple dipping charging to install it.

The spare bracket takes a couple minutes to install so you may want to do that yourself and save $50.

Mr.Smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X
I had ran 35s before I lifted and went to 37s. 35s fit fine on the stock carrier for me

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
$120 isnt bad for an alignment if they actually need to align it. For you, if you're not replacing any control arms, the alignment is not necessary. There is nothing to adjust besides centering the steering wheel and thats a 15mm wrench and small pipe wrench, literally takes 2 mins. There is not camber change, no way to adjust caster unless getting relocation brackets or adj arms and toe is unaffected.

Skip the dual stabilizers and order a fox 2.0 for ~$150. Its an 18mm wrench.

Heres some more of my thoughts. Id rather you get a rubi take off suspension and gain 1.5" or so of lift with correct coils and shocks than add some 2" or whatever you decided spacers onto of your sport coils. Also, with not gaining more than 2" of lift either with spacers or rubi lift, I dont feel the track bar is necessary. The only real difference between your suspension and a rubi is the coils and shocks. Track bars are the same along with the control arms. The difference will be minor. If down the road you want to make some changes, you could add a track bar then.

Brett

OP
OP

Mark7411

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
I would suggest the same thing the shop did minus the steering stabilizer. Nothing crazy on that list.

$120 is a bit high for an alignment. I'd expect to pay about $80.

The track bar is 2 bolts so $100 is high for labor. The trackbar will need to be adjusted, this is 90% of your alignment. Also the stock one is usually loosened or removed during lift install so they seem to be triple dipping charging to install it.

The spare bracket takes a couple minutes to install so you may want to do that yourself and save $50.
So do you think I should just skip the TB and get the alignment? Or have then do it and negotiate the labor.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
So do you think I should just skip the TB and get the alignment? Or have then do it and negotiate the labor.
Without getting an adjustable track bar there is really nothing to align. If you don't get the trackbar there are charging you $120 to center your steering wheel which takes a few minutes.

The adjustable track bar is not 100% necessary. It will center your axle under the jeep. Also some of the loose steering issues have been attributed to the stock track bar so it may firm it up. It definitely did on my jeep. If you skip the track bar I would definitely tell them I'm not paying $120 to center the wheel. One it may not even be necessary. 2. If it is, it isn't a $120 job.
Sponsored