Rattling sound when engine is idling after cold start

MrHifi

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7
2019 2.0 dealer said is my turbo rattling. Will be a warranty replacement. Dealer said it will be the next day and I could pick it up. A week later I still don’t have any word when the turbo will be in. Jeep is still at the dealer
Sponsored

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
2019 2.0 dealer said is my turbo rattling. Will be a warranty replacement. Dealer said it will be the next day and I could pick it up. A week later I still don’t have any word when the turbo will be in. Jeep is still at the dealer
I have the same sound as that turbo wastegate linkage rattle going on with my 4xe. At least I think its the same. The engine doesn't start very often for me, so the only time I hear it is late at night when leaving work and its way too cold outside for me to want to pop the hood and poke around to 100% confirm its that linkage. One of these day's I will take a look. Nice to see the dealer is going to get you a new turbo though. Seems kind of wild that the linkage cant just be tightened or replaced though.

MrHifi

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7
We shall see,,, it ran fine just a rattle at times. Dealer claimed it was a safety issue and kept the Jeep. After being there 3 days the dealer said it would be middle of next week before the turbo comes in then 4 hours to get it on. Hopefully I will have it back end of next week.

MrHifi

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7
I think there is a recall or TSB for 4xe regarding the turbo.

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
I think there is a recall or TSB for 4xe regarding the turbo.
Really? Mine was built like 1.5 months ago. My wife has a 2.0L built around the same time. No turbo rattle on hers.

Sponsored

MrHifi

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7
I was a little suspicious at the dealer “it’s a safety recall to replace the turbo”. They suggested I leave it there and I did. Over the weekend I looked on CARFAX and no open recalls. Google finds a turbo recall for 21 & 22 4xe.

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
I was a little suspicious at the dealer “it’s a safety recall to replace the turbo”. They suggested I leave it there and I did. Over the weekend I looked on CARFAX and no open recalls. Google finds a turbo recall for 21 & 22 4xe.
I really cannot even fathom how that would be a safety issue? Unless, the linkage comes off and causes a loss of engine power or something? Weird! Well, at least you got yours fixed.
Sponsored