Rattling sound when engine is idling after cold start

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
Update on mine. A/c compressor did not fix it. They are removing the timing cover to inspect the chain/ tensioner and guides
@installer88 I am curious to hear what they find out. I have a 2021 JLU 2.0T with the same noise at start up. It goes away after about a minute.

I had a mechanic give a listen. Mind you he does not specialize in Jeeps, but he suggested it could be a timing chain sound and that once the oil pressure comes up, the timing chain adjusters adjust and that's why the sound goes away.

I contacted the dealer I bought the Jeep from. He said he has not heard of any problems related to the timing chain and said there are no technical service bulletins out that seem related, but he referred it to his service manager and is waiting to hear back.

Please let me know what your dealer finds out regarding your timing chaining.
Sponsored

CBRKillian

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara JLU 2.0T
My 2022 jlu just started doing this a couple weeks ago. I brought it into the dealer and we think it might have something to do with the waste gate on the turbo. In the video below it shows the sound go away as the Jeep idles down and the waste gate closes. The bar in the video attaches to a black box closer to the front of the engine and if I put my hand on it (Careful, might be hot) I can feel rattle that seems to match the noise. Dealer said they were going to talk to engineering before they can do anything so if I hear back from them I’ll keep you posted.

Racer X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aspiring Jeep owner
After reading this thread I feel somewhat better about it. It seems to be a "normal" noise the 2.0 makes at cold start. Ours too does sound like a diesel during the initial cold start too. But after a min or so calms down back to normal. I mean if they are all doing it, its the character of the engine.

Christian72

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara 2,0 T-GDI (MY20)
After reading this thread I feel somewhat better about it. It seems to be a "normal" noise the 2.0 makes at cold start. Ours too does sound like a diesel during the initial cold start too. But after a min or so calms down back to normal. I mean if they are all doing it, its the character of the engine.
Yes, it seems so.
My dealer confirmed that to me when I mentioned it after the test drive before I bought the car.

Sponsored

Wulfgott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PUNK'N 2.0L Turbo JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Meat popsicle
Mine does it as well, it really does sound like a classic tractor of yester year. Much bigger sounding than the 2.0 4cyl it actually is. I guess it does in some respects sound like a sewing machine to some as well.
I am hoping that the video CBRKillian posted leads to some more information just out of curiosity. It doesn't bother me that much.

CBRKillian

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine does it as well, it really does sound like a classic tractor of yester year. Much bigger sounding than the 2.0 4cyl it actually is. I guess it does in some respects sound like a sewing machine to some as well.
I am hoping that the video CBRKillian posted leads to some more information just out of curiosity. It doesn't bother me that much.
I have talked to the dealer and they did confirm this is a known issue but don’t have a fix for it yet short of replacing the whole turbo/waste gate assembly. They aren’t even sure that will solve the problem or prevent it from returning.

Not sure what sound everyone else is hearing but mine sounds more like dropping a small bolt into an empty can of pop and gently shaking it around. Mine only started doing it at around 13000km.

The dealer suggested I check in with them again in a month or so to see if there’s an update.

Wulfgott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PUNK'N 2.0L Turbo JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Meat popsicle
I have talked to the dealer and they did confirm this is a known issue but don’t have a fix for it yet short of replacing the whole turbo/waste gate assembly. They aren’t even sure that will solve the problem or prevent it from returning.

Not sure what sound everyone else is hearing but mine sounds more like dropping a small bolt into an empty can of pop and gently shaking it around. Mine only started doing it at around 13000km.

The dealer suggested I check in with them again in a month or so to see if there’s an update.
Hehe maybe they are waiting for the warranty to run out on you.

CBRKillian

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hehe maybe they are waiting for the warranty to run out on you.
Lol, could be a run around to prevent having to replace so many peoples turbos since this is a fairly common issue that doesn’t really affect drivability and it sounds like most people just ignore it. If it is the turbo waste gate then it’s probably just a defect during the manufacturing process or just a cheap made part.

CBRKillian

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I noticed a new noise coming from the turbo whenever I turn the Jeep off (See Video) so I decided to bring it in for another look. They have determined that it’s a problem with the turbo and are going to replace it… must be common since the turbo is on back order up to 2 months!

Hope this info helps anyone with a similar issue and I’ll post after the repair to let anyone know if it solved the problem.

208E124E-5518-450D-8D29-E5E43A332AB5.jpeg

Sponsored

VetRiderJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I noticed a new noise coming from the turbo whenever I turn the Jeep off (See Video) so I decided to bring it in for another look. They have determined that it’s a problem with the turbo and are going to replace it… must be common since the turbo is on back order up to 2 months!

Hope this info helps anyone with a similar issue and I’ll post after the repair to let anyone know if it solved the problem.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rattling sound when engine is idling after cold start FCDE7B3B-9F97-4F60-8196-1C7332C3E6C6.MOV

This is my rattle as well. There are two rattles being mentioned here. One is the turbo/wastegate rattle like I have. The other sounds like bad rod or main bearings. The turbo rattle is intermittent and stops when you rev it. That main bearing sound is like a cold constant rattle tapping that goes along with RPM. That’s a rotating assembly rattle - definitely NOT normal and I wouldn’t let the dealer off with adding an oil additive lol. The real rattle that’s coming from the turbo/wastegate is different and as stated above requires a turbo replacement.

installer88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler unlimited, ordered 2021 rubicon 4xe
I forgot to update this. The dealer replaced both timing chains (cam and oil pump) as well as all of the timing chain guides and tensioner. You could see where the chain was slapping the timing case cover. That corrected the noise I posted a video of.

@installer88 I am curious to hear what they find out. I have a 2021 JLU 2.0T with the same noise at start up. It goes away after about a minute.

I had a mechanic give a listen. Mind you he does not specialize in Jeeps, but he suggested it could be a timing chain sound and that once the oil pressure comes up, the timing chain adjusters adjust and that's why the sound goes away.

I contacted the dealer I bought the Jeep from. He said he has not heard of any problems related to the timing chain and said there are no technical service bulletins out that seem related, but he referred it to his service manager and is waiting to hear back.

Please let me know what your dealer finds out regarding your timing chaining.

CBRKillian

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jeep Wrangler JL Rattling sound when engine is idling after cold start FCDE7B3B-9F97-4F60-8196-1C7332C3E6C6.MOV

Part finally came in and turbo has been replaced. Problem solved…. for now anyways! The dealer told me when they took the old turbo out it looked like it was just a loose nut inside the turbo that might just need to be tightened but not sure if that would fix the problem. Dealer always just replaces parts. Hope my info helps you guys out.

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Our 2 do the same it's a known sound in the 2.0s. They sound like diesels. Nothing to worry about. Odd the dealer used an additive tho.

Timing chain, loose nut in tubro, no way!

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
The dealer put an oil additive in the vehicle to clean the internal pieces.

I would have them change the oil to remove oil additive, as it is not recommended, should be nothing to clean with regular oil changes....

Sponsored