First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR- Sold, 2019 JLUR- Sold, 2017 JKUR-Sold
Occupation
USAF Retired; USAF Civilian/Antiterrorism Officer
I recently purchased the mopar heavy duty hinge upgrade kit and Teraflex Alpha HD spare tire kit. At first, I had lots of squeaking. I adjusted the mount/tire so it sits firmly against spacers and the rattling stopped, but now I have a new rattling sound when I hit significant bumps. I have a 37/13.50/20 Toyo/Fuel wheel mounted. I've torqued everything down twice and the rattling is still there. Any ideas?
Sponsored

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I recently purchased the mopar heavy duty hinge upgrade kit and Teraflex Alpha HD spare tire kit. At first, I had lots of squeaking. I adjusted the mount/tire so it sits firmly against spacers and the rattling stopped, but now I have a new rattling sound when I hit significant bumps. I have a 37/13.50/20 Toyo/Fuel wheel mounted. I've torqued everything down twice and the rattling is still there. Any ideas?
Have you "hit" the tire to see where the rattling is coming from? Tough to diagnose. I havent had anything yet. Curious if it's the Alpha mount or "within" the Alpha.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm guessing when the Mopar portion was installed the tailgate door's position changed slightly. Watch how your door responds when you open it, and when you close it.

Does it drop when you open it? If so, try jacking up the spare (from the ground and with the tailgate door closed) ever so slightly, loosen the Mopar supports, then re-tighten them. See if that helps.

If, when you close the tailgate door, it actually drops down (meaning it's mounted too high), close the tailgate door and try loosening the Mopar bolts and re-tightening them.

There's nothing I'm familiar with within the Teraflex Alpha that would rattle, unless something isn't torqued properly, or something fell into it during install.

These are just guesses, but they are things I've worked through with my current Jeep, as well as a few others (with different setups).

Good luck!

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Any update to this @wrightcj77 ?

I recently purchased a 37x13.50R-20 wheel/tire combo. I have the Mopar tailgate support bracket as a factory option. I've been seriously considering the Teraflex Alpha HD, but worry when I hear stories like yours.

Thanks,

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Any update to this @wrightcj77 ?

I recently purchased a 37x13.50R-20 wheel/tire combo. I have the Mopar tailgate support bracket as a factory option. I've been seriously considering the Teraflex Alpha HD, but worry when I hear stories like yours.

Thanks,
I have the setup you describe, and it's rock solid. The flexibility of wheel position is awesome, and the capability of using the stock taillight is a plus.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've been very pleased with the teraflex alpha HD carrier. I'm currently running a set of 315 ko2's and got this carrier to move the tire up and above the steal mopar bumper enough to clear the inevitable 37's. With the 37's, I also plan on adding the teraflex hinge reinforcement, which also replaces the actual hinges with a beefier version, unlike the mopar tailgate reinforcement.

I think your issue lies with the over taxed factory hinges, and has nothing to do with the alpha carrier. You might have to ditch that mopar "reinforcement" which is not doing much more than adding dead weight to those hinges.

mrphillips

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
im having the same issue with no reinforcement i can actually see the top of the tire flex when i hit a bump..im running 37 km3 whith black rhino armory rims ...im not sure what to do

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the MOPAR reinforcement and relocation parts installed but I'm ditching them. I just ordered the Alpha HD and the RR Spartacus reinforcement. I think the big problem is that even with the MOPAR reinforcement, the hinges are still too taxed. Hoping the Spartacus will remedy that and the Alpha will let me use my back-up sensors again. Plus, I want the ease of removing the third brake light the Alpha offers over the MOPAR stuff

If anyone wants the MOPAR items, shoot me a PM

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the MOPAR reinforcement and relocation parts installed but I'm ditching them. I just ordered the Alpha HD and the RR Spartacus reinforcement. I think the big problem is that even with the MOPAR reinforcement, the hinges are still too taxed. Hoping the Spartacus will remedy that and the Alpha will let me use my back-up sensors again. Plus, I want the ease of removing the third brake light the Alpha offers over the MOPAR stuff

Well I just pulled the trigger on the Alpha HD. Going to give it a shot with just the MOPAR reinforcement first and see how that goes. If I have problems with the hinges, I'll probably have to ditch the whole setup for something else. I would not have gone this way if my 19 JLUR hadn't come from the factory with the MOPAR reinforcement already installed.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Well I just pulled the trigger on the Alpha HD. Going to give it a shot with just the MOPAR reinforcement first and see how that goes. If I have problems with the hinges, I'll probably have to ditch the whole setup for something else. I would not have gone this way if my 19 JLUR hadn't come from the factory with the MOPAR reinforcement already installed.
I ordered my JL with the reinforcement already installed as well, and now I'm ditching it

Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered my JL with the reinforcement already installed as well, and now I'm ditching it
Well update us all here on your results, good or bad. I will update as well once I get the Alpha HD installed. Putting on a rather heavy 37x12.50R20 wheel and tire combo, but hoping for the best. Seems hit or miss for some. I'm not a huge fan of how the RR Spartacus looks and prefer not to spend yet another chunk of cash that could be used elsewhere. Good luck!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I have the setup you describe, and it's rock solid. The flexibility of wheel position is awesome, and the capability of using the stock taillight is a plus.
I am also the same setup and happy, the Alpha HD and the Mopar brace. No rattles or noise.

Those who complain over the hinges are thinking about JK's where the hinges are a real problem.

On the JL the hinges and the hinge mounting points are not a problem, but the tailgate itself doesn't have enough rigidity and flexes which is what the Mopar brace solves as it ties the outboard hinge mount locations to the tire mount area.

The Evo carrier and also the bumper mount options are the bulletproof solutions but also can feel quite far from OEM fit and finish.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am also the same setup and happy, the Alpha HD and the Mopar brace. No rattles or noise.

Those who complain over the hinges are thinking about JK's where the hinges are a real problem.

On the JL the hinges and the hinge mounting points are not a problem, but the tailgate itself doesn't have enough rigidity and flexes which is what the Mopar brace solves as it ties the outboard hinge mount locations to the tire mount area.

The Evo carrier and also the bumper mount options are the bulletproof solutions but also can feel quite far from OEM fit and finish.
Exactly, and ESPECIALLY the Evo fit and finish is garbage from what I've seen. Looks to have been welded by a monkey. Good welds should look like a line of coins kinda stacked on each other, but instead you see globs and pitting. I do like the concept and functionality of the Evo though...

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR, 2019 Ram Rebel Crew, 2019 HD FLTRXS, 2018 HD FLFBS ANV

Can you let me know how the alpha works with the spartacus reinforcement? I have the spartacus reinforcement installed, but have the stock spare mount with the rough country relocation kit and was thinking about replacing those with the alpha before going to 37's.

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Exactly, and ESPECIALLY the Evo fit and finish is garbage from what I've seen. Looks to have been welded by a monkey. Good welds should look like a line of coins kinda stacked on each other, but instead you see globs and pitting. I do like the concept and functionality of the Evo though...
I concur with the EVO. I purchased one. Starting rusting after a week. Finish was not great. Would not align properly. I don't know if the one I got was made on a Friday or what, but I returned it. Then purchased a Rusty's. Finish was excellent. Fit was great. Very pleased with it. Plus, unless you relocate the license plate, there is nothing you have to do to remove the spare. 3rd brake light mounts behind the tire. Additionally, the camera housing is stout enough to give you a place to heft the new large tire/wheel onto, THEN line it up to fasten it.
Sponsored