RATTLING!! HELP! Teraflex Alpha HD Adjustable Spare Tire Carrier

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
I Installed my Teraflex Alpha HD Tire Carrier this weekend. This was in conjunction with a factory installed MOPAR tailgate reinforcement kit that was already in place. I am using it with a 37x12.50R20 tire wheel and a 9 in wide, 4.75 in backspace, 0 offset Hostile Predator 20 inch wheel. Here are my observations:

1) Yes the Teraflex and MOPAR reinforcement can work together with full compatibility and without interference.

2) Be careful with the top 2 inner bolts. There are a total of 8 bolts that that hold the Alpha HD to the tailgate. The inside bolts on the top are easily stripped if you overtighten. The excellent Teraflex directions provided recommend using a torque wrench and the foot-pounds are listed. I just used feel and MIGHT have overtighten and stripped just those two bolts - I'm not sure, and not worried regardless with 6 other bolts nice and tight. This possible stripping is not the fault of the Alpha HD at all. I just didn't have a torque wrench on hand and I have a tendency to go too tight.

3). A 37in tire with a factory steel Rubicon bumper will still have about 1/2in clearance on the bottom if using the upper most setting. This is the perfect height in my opinion as it will maximize rear visibility and allow up to a 38 in tire (future planned upgrade). Getting this height correct (as low as possible) was my chief reason for going with the Alpha HD. The carrier could be lowered in one inch increments, so could go a notch down if you use a 35 in tire. Again, just follow the recommendations on the directions.

4) You may have to adjust the distance from the tire to the tailgate (front to back) a few times. I had to adjust it twice to get it right where I wanted it to ensure clearance with the rear window wiper and the little CB antenna nub on the MOPAR reinforcement kit. I left about 1/4 in clearance and got the tire nice and close to minimize unnecessary leverage on the tailgate. Likewise, I also made sure it was tight enough that the stock rubber bumpers were deforming quite a bit, which should eliminate excessive movement and rattles. Obviously, the further out you adjust the wheel away from the tailgate, the more leverage is placed on it. Making the adjustments is easy other then lifting the heavy wheel for test fitting!

5) I am getting zero "false alarm" beeping from my rear proximity sensors. This was a concern, but have experienced no issues. The fact that my wheel is a zero offset vs. a more common negative offset wheels (which would stick out further) may be helping in this regard. Getting the wheel in tight, as mentioned above, is also a factor.

6) I am getting quite a bit of wheel in my rear view camera, but I don't feel its an excessive amount and I can still see plenty. Again, a wheel with more negative offset would be worse, as would a smaller 17in wheel. Also, I didn't take a pic of the Teraflex camera housing, but it probably would have been better of if it was manufactured about 1/2 inch longer. This would clean up the sightline a little better I believe.

7) Once installed you can definitely feel the weight of my entire HEAVY wheel and tire combo. At this point, I need to make sure I am closing the tailgate with just enough pressure to latch it properly. I don't need to close it hard at all because only slight momentum is needed to fully latch. Plus I am trying to avoid unnecessary wear that could be caused by closing it hard. I also notice that I can no longer open the tailgate with my dominant right hand because the tire is so large it nearly blocks the handle. Using the left hand for opening instead is the easy logical solution, but one I'll need to get used to. Once driving, I have not yet heard any creaking or rattling, yet Time will tell if that changes, and especially that I have only gone a few miles, but so far I am very pleased!

**EDIT: Now a few weeks with this mod and still no real squeaks or rattles. However, I am put off a bit by the sheer weight of this whole package (Teraflex Alpha HD, MOPAR Tailgate Reinforcement Kit, and 37s on 20 in wheels) as it feels like the equivalent of an additional adult back there. As such, you can definitely notice the drag on the engine and probably losing some MPGs as well, but this is definitely a doable and solid combo for me thus far.

Teraflex ALPHA HD.jpg

Tire Bumper clearance.jpg

Tire gate clearance.jpg

Rear camera.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

minimight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Crazy your having the rattling issue. I have the same setup holding a 37" BFG KO2 on an AEV Savegre II and zero movement or rattles. Once @TeraFlex comes out with the full hinge I'll be looking into that as well. I had their setup on my JK and loved it! Even with how nice the JK version was I'm liking this design a TON more.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I Installed my Teraflex Alpha HD Tire Carrier this weekend. This was in conjunction with a factory installed MOPAR tailgate reinforcement kit that was already in place. I am using it with a 37x12.50R20 tire wheel and a 9 in wide, 4.75 in backspace, 0 offset Hostile Predator 20 inch wheel. Here are my observations:

1) Yes the Teraflex and MOPAR reinforcement can work together with full compatibility and without interference.

2) Be careful with the top 2 inner bolts. There are a total of 8 bolts that that hold the Alpha HD to the tailgate. The inside bolts on the top are easily stripped if you overtighten. The excellent Teraflex directions provided recommend using a torque wrench and the foot-pounds are listed. I just used feel and MIGHT have overtighten and stripped just those two bolts - I'm not sure, and not worried regardless with 6 other bolts nice and tight. This possible stripping is not the fault of the Alpha HD at all. I just didn't have a torque wrench on hand and I have a tendency to go too tight.

3). A 37in tire with a factory steel Rubicon bumper will still have about 1/2in clearance on the bottom if using the upper most setting. This is the perfect height in my opinion as it will maximize rear visibility and allow up to a 38 in tire (future planned upgrade). Getting this height correct (as low as possible) was my chief reason for going with the Alpha HD. The carrier could be lowered in one inch increments, so could go a notch down if you use a 35 in tire. Again, just follow the recommendations on the directions.

4) You may have to adjust the distance from the tire to the tailgate (front to back) a few times. I had to adjust it twice to get it right where I wanted it to ensure clearance with the rear window wiper and the little CB antenna nub on the MOPAR reinforcement kit. I left about 1/4 in clearance and got the tire nice and close to minimize unnecessary leverage on the tailgate. Likewise, I also made sure it was tight enough that the stock rubber bumpers were deforming quite a bit, which should eliminate excessive movement and rattles. Obviously, the further out you adjust the wheel away from the tailgate, the more leverage is placed on it. Making the adjustments is easy other then lifting the heavy wheel for test fitting!

5) I am getting zero "false alarm" beeping from my rear proximity sensors. This was a concern, but have experienced no issues. The fact that my wheel is a zero offset vs. a more common negative offset wheels (which would stick out further) may be helping in this regard. Getting the wheel in tight, as mentioned above, is also a factor.

6) I am getting quite a bit of wheel in my rear view camera, but I don't feel its an excessive amount and I can still see plenty. Again, a wheel with more negative offset would be worse, as would a smaller 17in wheel. Also, I didn't take a pic of the Teraflex camera housing, but it probably would have been better of if it was manufactured about 1/2 inch longer. This would clean up the sightline a little better I believe.

7) Once installed you can definitely feel the weight of my entire HEAVY wheel and tire combo. At this point, I need to make sure I am closing the tailgate with just enough pressure to latch it properly. I don't need to close it hard at all because only slight momentum is needed to fully latch. Plus I am trying to avoid unnecessary wear that could be caused by closing it hard. I also notice that I can no longer open the tailgate with my dominant right hand because the tire is so large it nearly blocks the handle. Using the left hand for opening instead is the easy logical solution, but one I'll need to get used to. Once driving, I have not yet heard any creaking or rattling, yet Time will tell if that changes, and especially that I have only gone a few miles, but so far I am very pleased!

**EDIT: Now a few weeks with this mod and still no real squeaks or rattles. However, I am put off a bit by the sheer weight of this whole package (Teraflex Alpha HD, MOPAR Tailgate Reinforcement Kit, and 37s on 20 in wheels) as it feels like the equivalent of an additional adult back there. As such, you can definitely notice the drag on the engine and probably losing some MPGs as well, but this is definitely a doable and solid combo for me thus far.

Jeep Wrangler JL RATTLING!!  HELP! Teraflex Alpha HD Adjustable Spare Tire Carrier Rear camera
Any chance you have a pic of how deformed your rubber bumpers are on the tailgate? I have a good amount of pressure on them when I sucked the lug nuts down. But they aren't completely deformed. Maybe I should move it in a little tighter yet.

I don't have a rattle. But I do have a squeaking caused by the tailgate flexing against the weather stripping on the window. Sounds like there are several that have no noise at all. Curious if I need to adjust more.

I previously had a mopar tailgate reinforcement and the mopar relocation kit that came on the vehicle. Had a 37" tire on there for 22K miles with no issues or noises at all. Swapped out the carrier for the Teraflex Alpha and now the tailgate flexes some. Hoping just an alignment issue since I never loosened the hinge bolts at all.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Any chance you have a pic of how deformed your rubber bumpers are on the tailgate? I have a good amount of pressure on them when I sucked the lug nuts down. But they aren't completely deformed. Maybe I should move it in a little tighter yet.

I don't have a rattle. But I do have a squeaking caused by the tailgate flexing against the weather stripping on the window. Sounds like there are several that have no noise at all. Curious if I need to adjust more.

I previously had a mopar tailgate reinforcement and the mopar relocation kit that came on the vehicle. Had a 37" tire on there for 22K miles with no issues or noises at all. Swapped out the carrier for the Teraflex Alpha and now the tailgate flexes some. Hoping just an alignment issue since I never loosened the hinge bolts at all.
They're deformed AF. I probably should have cut them down a little, but I've got no issues with rattling, that's for sure. Also a lot less leverage on the tailgate by getting the tire tucked in just as far as possible. Just another reason to like the Alpha HD. One thing though is I never slam the tailgate. This thing is so heavy, the smallest amount of inertia is required to close. I've trained myself and the whole family to close it gently.

Deformed AF.jpg

carrier.jpg
Sponsored