Sponsored

Rattling from soft top - ideas? Warranty?

frankmorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Hi folks,

I've got a 2019 Sahara Unlimited and the passenger side soft top pivot arms/folding mechanisms are making a sound that's making me crazy. I'm fairly sure it's coming from that area as when I pull on the parts, the sound stops. The odd thing is that it's not happening exactly when I got over bumps - it sort of happens randomly while driving. Smoother roads it happens less, but it will be at odd, random intervals, which makes me think it may have to do with friction between the arms with the shifting of the jeep, rather than something banging. The only other possible culprits (parts-wise) I could think is the hydraulic mechanism, or something with the track parts that are bolted to the jeep itself (where the soft top bearing rolls along when closing/opening).

I'm guessing no one will have any ideas, but in the off chance someone has experienced this and has any tips, help would be appreciated.

Also, is this a warranty issue? It's not exactly a body issue or mechanical issue, so not sure where it would fit. I do have the mopar max care plan which might provide some additional coverage as well.

Update: This issue is persisting and absolutely nerve racking. Does anyone have a sense of whether this would be covered by any particular warranty? Not sure how the soft top is included or not in any warranty.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Hi folks,

I've got a 2019 Sahara Unlimited and the passenger side soft top pivot arms/folding mechanisms are making a sound that's making me crazy. I'm fairly sure it's coming from that area as when I pull on the parts, the sound stops. The odd thing is that it's not happening exactly when I got over bumps - it sort of happens randomly while driving. Smoother roads it happens less, but it will be at odd, random intervals, which makes me think it may have to do with friction between the arms with the shifting of the jeep, rather than something banging. The only other possible culprits (parts-wise) I could think is the hydraulic mechanism, or something with the track parts that are bolted to the jeep itself (where the soft top bearing rolls along when closing/opening).

I'm guessing no one will have any ideas, but in the off chance someone has experienced this and has any tips, help would be appreciated.

Also, is this a warranty issue? It's not exactly a body issue or mechanical issue, so not sure where it would fit. I do have the mopar max care plan which might provide some additional coverage as well.
I had a similar noise from the passenger side on mine, but it was happening over bumps. The passenger side hydraulic strut was rubbing against the plastic frame that mounts over the rear door. I pried it over with a pry bar and the noise is now gone. Check the hydraulic strut over the rear door and see if it’s hitting the frame.

OP
OP

frankmorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I had a similar noise from the passenger side on mine, but it was happening over bumps. The passenger side hydraulic strut was rubbing against the plastic frame that mounts over the rear door. I pried it over with a pry bar and the noise is now gone. Check the hydraulic strut over the rear door and see if it’s hitting the frame.
Awesome - thanks so much for this. I'll check this out ASAP.

OP
OP

frankmorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Alright doesn't look like it's touching, and can't seem to find anything that is. Hmmm....

OP
OP

frankmorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Any thoughts on whether this issue may be covered by any warranty?

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Any thoughts on whether this issue may be covered by any warranty?
Definitely covered by warranty if you are within the 3 yr/36k factory warranty or if you bought Maxcare Mopar extended one (which you do have).

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Bro, IMHO check everywhere as rattles are terribly hard to locate. Thought I had a top rattle. Same as you, I'd press a certain area and it would stop. Ended up being plastic to metal rattle under the right rear floor mat...WTF

OP
OP

frankmorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Bro, IMHO check everywhere as rattles are terribly hard to locate. Thought I had a top rattle. Same as you, I'd press a certain area and it would stop. Ended up being plastic to metal rattle under the right rear floor mat...WTF
Ha tell me about it - just when I think I have it pinned down, it sounds like it's coming from somewhere else. Very tough, especially with a moving car and road noise.
Sponsored