Sponsored

Rattling Freedom Panels

DavidJH

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Sahara Altitude, 2008 Toyota Sequoia.
Occupation
FireMedic, Pre-Hospital Care Consultant.
Hi there.

As the cold weather is upon us, I have noticed that the Freedom Panels on our 2020 JLUS have started to rattle. It's not a hugely obvious issue or one that is constant, however it always happens on a bumpy road or hitting potholes, etc. I have checked the seals around each panel and there is noting amiss there, the locks on the windshield and the panel locks seem tight and I cannot reproduce the rattle by pushing on the panels from the inside. I'm thinking that the panels have just contracted slightly due to the cold and are simply not as tightly seated as they are during the summer/warmer months. Still bugs me though as I hate all things "rattle-y", lol.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this on their JL and has thoughts, a solution?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Hogzilla

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0 turbo
Hi there.

As the cold weather is upon us, I have noticed that the Freedom Panels on our 2020 JLUS have started to rattle. It's not a hugely obvious issue or one that is constant, however it always happens on a bumpy road or hitting potholes, etc. I have checked the seals around each panel and there is noting amiss there, the locks on the windshield and the panel locks seem tight and I cannot reproduce the rattle by pushing on the panels from the inside. I'm thinking that the panels have just contracted slightly due to the cold and are simply not as tightly seated as they are during the summer/warmer months. Still bugs me though as I hate all things "rattle-y", lol.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this on their JL and has thoughts, a solution?

Thanks.
Hello, I have a 2021 that I was getting a rattle/creaking sound coming from the freedom panel above the passenger side head. Upon further investigation the panel was so tight where you use the latching clamp it was causing a creaking sound when the panels would touch the metal area. What I did was use clear protection film on where the clamp areas are on the passenger side and driver side above and it solved all the creaking noises. I also used ShinEtsu silicon grease on all the rubber seals. I no longer get any creaks or rattle noises.

Here is the area I lined the clear film with. It is the metal areas I cut to shape and put a layer on and it worked.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rattling Freedom Panels freedom

Links to the film and grease I used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TVLLTSL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-08798-9013-Silicone-Grease/dp/B00GD49GTS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=20I1J2ZXEHMGI&dchild=1&keywords=shin+etsu+grease&qid=1611175088&sprefix=shin+et,aps,147&sr=8-3

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidJH

DavidJH

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Sahara Altitude, 2008 Toyota Sequoia.
Occupation
FireMedic, Pre-Hospital Care Consultant.
Hello, I have a 2021 that I was getting a rattle/creaking sound coming from the freedom panel above the passenger side head. Upon further investigation the panel was so tight where you use the latching clamp it was causing a creaking sound when the panels would touch together. What I did was use clear protection film on where the clamp areas are on the passenger side and driver side above and it solved all the creaking noises. I also used ShinEtsu silicon grease on all the rubber seals.

Here is the area I lined the clear film with. It is the metal areas I cut to shape and put a layer on and it worked.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rattling Freedom Panels freedom

Links to the film and grease I used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TVLLTSL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-08798-9013-Silicone-Grease/dp/B00GD49GTS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=20I1J2ZXEHMGI&dchild=1&keywords=shin+etsu+grease&qid=1611175088&sprefix=shin+et,aps,147&sr=8-3
Thanks for the reply.

The sounds I am experiencing seem to originate in the same area on my JLUS but from above and behind the drivers side head. I will give your suggestion a try! I have some 3M paint protection film that is comparable to the film link you sent, so I will give that a go.

Thanks again!
Sponsored