Rattle/Clicking Noise in Front End

WhoDatNola

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon JL
2020 JL 2.0l with <2k miles, 2.5" Evo kit, springs, shock extensions, lower control arms, 37s and Method bead locks and lately a horrible noise has manifested from the front end.

It can not be heard when the windows are up, only when down. It is not a clunk, thug, bang etc but more so a quick and constant clicking/ticking/rattle noise. Think a BB in a tin can, penny clicking very fast against a tin can or almost like a set of keys in your pocket bouncing around.

It occurs anytime you hit a bump/deformity in the road be it big or small that causes the front end to quickly compress/decompress. I have banged/hit everything underneath the jeep and can not figure it out nor replicate the sound. It does not occur when shacking the jeep nor violently pushing up and down on the bumpers but rather only over deformities in the road that cause the suspension to quickly load/unload or compress/depress.

Hoping you all might have an idea before I hit the dealership.
Sponsored

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
2020 JL 2.0l with <2k miles, 2.5" Evo kit, springs, shock extensions, lower control arms, 37s and Method bead locks and lately a horrible noise has manifested from the front end.

It can not be heard when the windows are up, only when down. It is not a clunk, thug, bang etc but more so a quick and constant clicking/ticking/rattle noise. Think a BB in a tin can, penny clicking very fast against a tin can or almost like a set of keys in your pocket bouncing around.

It occurs anytime you hit a bump/deformity in the road be it big or small that causes the front end to quickly compress/decompress. I have banged/hit everything underneath the jeep and can not figure it out nor replicate the sound. It does not occur when shacking the jeep nor violently pushing up and down on the bumpers but rather only over deformities in the road that cause the suspension to quickly load/unload or compress/depress.

Hoping you all might have an idea before I hit the dealership.
please tell me its not some d rings on your aftermarket bumper that clank around lol stock bumpers? winch? sounds like its probably heat shield or did this kit come with brake line extensions also? sometime those extension tabs can cause brake line wheel speed sensor wire noise ...sometimes. did you or someone else install lift? I would start by double check all bolts and nuts before trying to isolate exact area. also which 2.5 lift? because the ones with spacers are never a great idea to begin with. can you duplicate it when driving straight and jerking the steering wheel quickly left and right ? I would still assume something within the install is loose or rubbing something.

OP
OP

WhoDatNola

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon JL
FirecrackerRed,
Stock bumpers currently and no d rings so not that simple. It does have the brake line extensions so I will check out the sensor wire tomorrow but I don't believe it to be that as this is a metal on metal sound. The lift was installed by a reputable shop and it is the evo stage 3 kit with no spacers which is why I said "springs" in the leading post. The noise only occurs during the above times, it does not do it while turning or jerking the wheel left and right while driving.

I also presume something is loose and or rubbing but have yet to find it and I have hit the hell out of everything I could with a rubber dead blow to try and recreate it.

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
FirecrackerRed,
Stock bumpers currently and no d rings so not that simple. It does have the brake line extensions so I will check out the sensor wire tomorrow but I don't believe it to be that as this is a metal on metal sound. The lift was installed by a reputable shop and it is the evo stage 3 kit with no spacers which is why I said "springs" in the leading post. The noise only occurs during the above times, it does not do it while turning or jerking the wheel left and right while driving.

I also presume something is loose and or rubbing but have yet to find it and I have hit the hell out of everything I could with a rubber dead blow to try and recreate it.
I would start with checking those extensions, and or isolators under springs. Doesn’t sound like it’s a sway bar link issues. Maybe you’ll get lucky and notice and witness marks around something that it’s rubbing against

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Torque down your disconnect links. I have to tighten mine down constantly when they start clicking.

Sponsored

OP
OP

WhoDatNola

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon JL
FirecrackerRed,
I will look into the extensions tomorrow and the isolators as well. Thanks!

Sting_NC_USA,
I will check the disconnect links as well, thanks.

Vito92

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JL 2Door Willys
did this fix yours?
Sponsored