Rated recovery hooks for the Australian Jeep Wrangler

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I have a JL Wrangler Sport S that is nearly 3 years old. For the last 2 years I have been looking for rated recovery hooks for the front.

We start with the manual to the Australian Wrangler. It says the tow eyes cannot be used for off road recovery.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rated recovery hooks for the Australian Jeep Wrangler 02Manual2

Jeep Wrangler JL Rated recovery hooks for the Australian Jeep Wrangler 03Manual3

Jeep Wrangler JL Rated recovery hooks for the Australian Jeep Wrangler 04Manual4

My tow eyes:

Jeep Wrangler JL Rated recovery hooks for the Australian Jeep Wrangler 05front

Jeep Wrangler JL Rated recovery hooks for the Australian Jeep Wrangler 06rear

As for the rear, I recently did a one day off road course and it was confirmed that the hitch can be used for off road recovery.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rated recovery hooks for the Australian Jeep Wrangler 07RearRecovery

As for recovery points on the front, I start with a drawing at the very front of the Australian manual. It shows a Rubicon, together with the Rubicon’s famous red painted front hooks and it also shows the tow eye that I believe is common to all Australian JL Wranglers.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rated recovery hooks for the Australian Jeep Wrangler 20220327_155036

I have confirmed that the red hooks are tied into the frame. They are not mentioned in the Australian manual. Instead there is a section with instructions to be followed if you are stuck off road:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rated recovery hooks for the Australian Jeep Wrangler StuckVehicle

That the Rubicon hooks are not mentioned in the Australian manual I feel is very poor form.

Meanwhile, in Canada and the USA, all JL Wranglers, get hooks above the front bumper. On the Rubicon they are red and on other models they are predominately grey. See photo of a JL Wrangler Sport in Canada/USA.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rated recovery hooks for the Australian Jeep Wrangler 08USsport

In Canada/USA the Wrangler manual says to ensure that you use both hooks for recovery.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rated recovery hooks for the Australian Jeep Wrangler USA

My front rated recovery points

My Jeep has an air dam under the front bumper and air deflectors above each front wheel. These are designed to direct the air in such a way that you drive more smoothly on the highway and improves fuel consumption on the highway. (I expect by only a very small amount).

Anyhow if I get a new bumper I would like to retain both of these features.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rated recovery hooks for the Australian Jeep Wrangler dam1

Jeep Wrangler JL Rated recovery hooks for the Australian Jeep Wrangler dam2

There are many choices for new bumpers most of which weigh 30 – 40 kilo which I feel is preposterous!

So, for a new bumper I feel my best choice is to refer you to a photo above. The Sport from Canada/USA.

With this bumper, it is light, I get rated recovery points and I get to retain the air dam feature.

What do people think?

Sponsored

Last edited:

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Its a jeep wrangler. I think you are to concerned with fuel economy over function imo.

If you are after rated recovery points, Im guessing you will go off road and want them in case you get stuck so you can be pulled out. If that is the case, why not get a bar with the ability to add a winch as well?

Get a second hand rubicon steel front bar if you can find one, i know a lot of JLUR's have changed theirs out. This way you'll have the ability to add recovery hooks, add a winch and the jlur steel bar has some front under bash plate as well that is similar to your air dam thing.

Yes it adds weight, but you also add a lot more function to your jeep as well.

SnoWhite

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Hello @Joe98,

I live in Europe, so my JLU came without the offroad capable tow hooks as well…

You might want to have a look at the products of Maximus-3 - they have several options for the front and back, each directly bolted to the frame. On their website, it seems that they do not ship outside the U.S., but just try and contact them directly - if you are not successful, try with RubiTrux instead.

With the Maximus-3 hooks, you might be able to keep your front bumper, if you are prepared to cut it.

Good luck!

Michael

OP
OP
Joe98

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK thank you.

RubiTrux

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.RubiTrux.com
Vehicle(s)
Custom Wrangler & Gladiator Builder
@Joe98 we ship to Australia all the time! If you don't know what you need then call 828-414-2900 and Dillion can help you figure out exactly what you need! If you already know what you need, email [email protected] with your parts list and we can give you a quote for shipping.

Check out our take off parts here:
https://www.rubitrux.com/jeep-take-off-parts.html?p=3

Recovery gear here:
https://www.rubitrux.com/jeep-recovery-gear.html

Maximus 3 parts here:
https://www.rubitrux.com/brands/maximus-3.html

Sponsored

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
im thinking if sports in US have front tow hooks, you can consider buy the hooks from US, then figure out a way to put them on?

Or get a rubicon front bumper, new one or take-off one. I saw some Rubicons are having ARB bumpers, so it is possible. Rubicon bumper has a skid plate which work as air deflector as well.

OP
OP
Joe98

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
im thinking if sports in US have front tow hooks, you can consider buy the hooks from US, then figure out a way to put them on?

Yes 2 holes cut in my bumper and the tow hooks fit easily. But it will look untidy

Or get a rubicon front bumper
I thought of that. Some feel that the one meant for the JL Rubicon will not fit on the JL Sport. That idea does not make sense but is doing the rounds.

Another option is this bumper for the Willys, which is really just a Sport. And I like the looks.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rated recovery hooks for the Australian Jeep Wrangler Willys

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
I thought of that. Some feel that the one meant for the JL Rubicon will not fit on the JL Sport. That idea does not make sense but is doing the rounds.
Eddie just put the rubi bumper on his sports. So it’s should be fine.

Another option is this bumper for the Willys, which is really just a Sport. And I like the looks.
It’s a good option…but my first reaction is it could cost a bit more…as we are located at remote area…consider the cost, maybe steel bumper is more worthy.

OP
OP
Joe98

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you! I have been watching his videos with the little red 2 door but I missed this one.
Sponsored