Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Not true, IMO.

Dealerships DO NOT have a god-given right to sell Jeeps. They sell them under a ‘franchise“ agreement that allows them to sell and warranty-service the Jeep (or other FCA product) IF they maintain certain standards of quality, etc.

FCA can penalize dealerships and/or pull the franchise for dealerships that are not performing. BAD DEALERS exist because FCA lets them exist.
I absolutely agree, and in principle it SHOULD work this way. However, the level of badness they'd have to sink to is so low that it can only be reached by a dealer who isn't buying enough Jeeps or paying their bills.
Sponsored

Mtrctylarry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I just need to rant, so there's a lot below. My JL is my 6th Wrangler, and may very well be my last, unless I go back to YJs and TJs. The last 7 weeks have been a huge PITA, and everyone from my Dealer to FIAT has pissed be off beyond belief. I've been so patient, but I am over it. If you care to humor me, my story is below.

7 weeks ago, I was driving and got a check engine light, as well as a "stop safely, vehicle will shut off soon" message along with CEL and ESC lights. I was a mile from home, so I got there, parked it and had it towed to the dealer where I bought it, Newnan CDJR in Newnan, GA. (8/12). It is outside my covered area, and I pay an extra $50 to get it there since i assume I will be treated ok, since I bought it there and have been there for service before. Hah.

Over the next 2 weeks, I received no to very little updates about any progress or what was being done. I had a case with @JeepCares opened from day 1. I honestly don't know what their purpose is. They can't seem to make dealers do anything. Maybe they can expedite parts, but that's it.

Anyway, those 2 weeks go by, they call me and tell me they replaced both batteries, come pick it up. I guess it takes a week per battery, whatever. I pay to Uber there ($50), and pick it up. I stop for gas a mile down the road, and when I am pulling out, CEL light, ESC light and Autopark Disengaged messages come on. I immediately take it back. Once I park it at the dealer, it won't start. Shifter flashes. Same lights and warnings. Also, while waiting for them to figure out their next move, I noticed they had scratched up my front fender in the previous 2 weeks it was there. They assure me they'll fix it. Since I am with it this time, I also get a loaner vehicle. (8/28). Side note: I did talk them into doing the steering TSB while it was up there, so at least that did get done fairly simply. I did check, too, and the steering box is the new part number and is black, so I know they did it.

2 more weeks go by. During this time, it's more of the same - JeepCares can't get in touch with my service advisor for actual updates. I get transferred until it rings too much and I get sent to a voicemail box when I call, and can't get in touch with anyone who has a clue. I have no idea what's happening. Finally, I am told that it's the starter, they're expediting one, and will install it and then fix my fender. That was a Thursday (9/10). Jeep Cares confirmed it was delivered the following Monday (9/14) I hear nothing all week. Finally, that Friday (9/18) I call and speak to the service department manager who says the starter is in route and should be there that day. I ask how that's possible since FIAT confirmed delivery on 9/14. I get no answer. Monday comes and goes, no update. On Tuesday (9/22) I call and speak to the dealer's GSM. He is transferring the case to his "most senior service advisor", tells me the part will be installed that day, and I can either pick it up, or wait for them to schedule paint to get the fender fixed. I tell them I don't want it until everything is done. It takes them another week + to get it painted, but they call me yesterday (10/1) to pick it up. Finally, it's over and I can get my jeep back. Hah.

I make it home (35 miles) with no issues. I park it for a few hours, and decide to get lunch. Go to crank it up, and it doesn't start. Same symptoms as when I had to bring it back. There's no way it's going back to Newnan at this point.

I call FIAT roadside and tell them to take it to a pretty popular dealer about 18-24 miles away from me, depending on how you go. I am in Atlanta, and chose Gwinnett CDJR. They tell me it'll be $134 since that is not the closest dealer. The closest dealer is 19 miles away. I ask them why they would not cover to them since it is basically the same distance, and they just say "the system says it's not covered." They give me a list of dealers that are covered (Ed Voyles, Don Jackson, Atlanta West, Landmark). Whatever, it's late in the afternoon. I decide I'll call Ed Voyles, since they are the only in that list I remotely trust (but just barely), see how long it'll be to get to it, and have it towed the following day, Friday (10/2). I call back this morning to schedule the tow, and after having to repeat EVERYTHING (VIN, symptoms, address, etc) even though I was told I wouldn't have to, they set up the tow. I get a text and check the status. They sent a FREAKING JUMP START SERVICE. Even after I confirmed the destination address and tow with the Roadside Agent. I call AGAIN. I have to repeat everything AGAIN. Luckily, I finally get a lady that sounds like she has a brain in her head, she can't understand everything I have gone through up to this point, asks me where I want to get it taken to, and quickly gets a flatbed dispatched. 30 minutes later, it's on its way to Marietta.

If you have made it this far, thanks for reading. Ed Voyles already told me it'll likely be late next week before they can look at it, but I am so over everything at this point, and at least they are setting my expectations up front. Luckily, thanks to COVID I don't need my Jeep for work since I am working from home, and we can use my girlfriend's car for everything else. But JFC. From my original dealer scratching the vehicle and not telling me, not actually fixing it after 7 weeks, not communicating and their general lack of competence, to Jeep Care's lack of actual caring, to Roadside's inability to set up a simple tow, I am over all levels of the Jeep experience. Bring on the Bronco. I'm sure Ford's experience isn't much better, but they at least haven't given me a reason to hate them yet.

IMG_0166 (1).jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg
IMG_0239.jpg
IMG_0240.jpg
I just need to rant, so there's a lot below. My JL is my 6th Wrangler, and may very well be my last, unless I go back to YJs and TJs. The last 7 weeks have been a huge PITA, and everyone from my Dealer to FIAT has pissed be off beyond belief. I've been so patient, but I am over it. If you care to humor me, my story is below.

7 weeks ago, I was driving and got a check engine light, as well as a "stop safely, vehicle will shut off soon" message along with CEL and ESC lights. I was a mile from home, so I got there, parked it and had it towed to the dealer where I bought it, Newnan CDJR in Newnan, GA. (8/12). It is outside my covered area, and I pay an extra $50 to get it there since i assume I will be treated ok, since I bought it there and have been there for service before. Hah.

Over the next 2 weeks, I received no to very little updates about any progress or what was being done. I had a case with @JeepCares opened from day 1. I honestly don't know what their purpose is. They can't seem to make dealers do anything. Maybe they can expedite parts, but that's it.

Anyway, those 2 weeks go by, they call me and tell me they replaced both batteries, come pick it up. I guess it takes a week per battery, whatever. I pay to Uber there ($50), and pick it up. I stop for gas a mile down the road, and when I am pulling out, CEL light, ESC light and Autopark Disengaged messages come on. I immediately take it back. Once I park it at the dealer, it won't start. Shifter flashes. Same lights and warnings. Also, while waiting for them to figure out their next move, I noticed they had scratched up my front fender in the previous 2 weeks it was there. They assure me they'll fix it. Since I am with it this time, I also get a loaner vehicle. (8/28). Side note: I did talk them into doing the steering TSB while it was up there, so at least that did get done fairly simply. I did check, too, and the steering box is the new part number and is black, so I know they did it.

2 more weeks go by. During this time, it's more of the same - JeepCares can't get in touch with my service advisor for actual updates. I get transferred until it rings too much and I get sent to a voicemail box when I call, and can't get in touch with anyone who has a clue. I have no idea what's happening. Finally, I am told that it's the starter, they're expediting one, and will install it and then fix my fender. That was a Thursday (9/10). Jeep Cares confirmed it was delivered the following Monday (9/14) I hear nothing all week. Finally, that Friday (9/18) I call and speak to the service department manager who says the starter is in route and should be there that day. I ask how that's possible since FIAT confirmed delivery on 9/14. I get no answer. Monday comes and goes, no update. On Tuesday (9/22) I call and speak to the dealer's GSM. He is transferring the case to his "most senior service advisor", tells me the part will be installed that day, and I can either pick it up, or wait for them to schedule paint to get the fender fixed. I tell them I don't want it until everything is done. It takes them another week + to get it painted, but they call me yesterday (10/1) to pick it up. Finally, it's over and I can get my jeep back. Hah.

I make it home (35 miles) with no issues. I park it for a few hours, and decide to get lunch. Go to crank it up, and it doesn't start. Same symptoms as when I had to bring it back. There's no way it's going back to Newnan at this point.

I call FIAT roadside and tell them to take it to a pretty popular dealer about 18-24 miles away from me, depending on how you go. I am in Atlanta, and chose Gwinnett CDJR. They tell me it'll be $134 since that is not the closest dealer. The closest dealer is 19 miles away. I ask them why they would not cover to them since it is basically the same distance, and they just say "the system says it's not covered." They give me a list of dealers that are covered (Ed Voyles, Don Jackson, Atlanta West, Landmark). Whatever, it's late in the afternoon. I decide I'll call Ed Voyles, since they are the only in that list I remotely trust (but just barely), see how long it'll be to get to it, and have it towed the following day, Friday (10/2). I call back this morning to schedule the tow, and after having to repeat EVERYTHING (VIN, symptoms, address, etc) even though I was told I wouldn't have to, they set up the tow. I get a text and check the status. They sent a FREAKING JUMP START SERVICE. Even after I confirmed the destination address and tow with the Roadside Agent. I call AGAIN. I have to repeat everything AGAIN. Luckily, I finally get a lady that sounds like she has a brain in her head, she can't understand everything I have gone through up to this point, asks me where I want to get it taken to, and quickly gets a flatbed dispatched. 30 minutes later, it's on its way to Marietta.

If you have made it this far, thanks for reading. Ed Voyles already told me it'll likely be late next week before they can look at it, but I am so over everything at this point, and at least they are setting my expectations up front. Luckily, thanks to COVID I don't need my Jeep for work since I am working from home, and we can use my girlfriend's car for everything else. But JFC. From my original dealer scratching the vehicle and not telling me, not actually fixing it after 7 weeks, not communicating and their general lack of competence, to Jeep Care's lack of actual caring, to Roadside's inability to set up a simple tow, I am over all levels of the Jeep experience. Bring on the Bronco. I'm sure Ford's experience isn't much better, but they at least haven't given me a reason to hate them yet.

IMG_0166 (1).jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg
IMG_0239.jpg
IMG_0240.jpg
Forget FCA...take that thing to a Priest...Sounds possessed to me.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I have an auto in the truck, and after spending $6000 on a rebuild (with 100k warranty and upgrade sonnax and billet valve body) I don't think I'll own another FCA auto trans anything. The manual isn't perfect (clutches overheating etc) but I'll take the 6 speed manual. I've seen these on salvage for $1500 and a new clutch/pressure plate etc aftermarket is ~$1k.

I'm literally on dirt daily.. offroading purposely most weekends and the electronics are interesting. Fortunately with the JL Tazer I can bypass a lot of it but yes...there's a lot of sensors and nannies etc. Getting used to all the electronic issues took a while.. now I know when, what speed, all the little electronic weird kinks and how to avoid them.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
As was said, the folks who complain are the ones with problems.. (And that’s to be expected) nobody says mines perfect, never had an issue. Ive owned a LOT of vehicles over many years. You can go to the Internet forum on pretty well any brand and hear the exact same thing. Get your jeep and enjoy it. There’s time to worry and get stressed later if you’re one of the unfortunate individuals who has a problem.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

IMG_0166 (1).jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg
IMG_0239.jpg
IMG_0240.jpg
What engine are we talking about? The crappy turbo 4-cylinder or the reliable 3.6?

Sponsored

Icewater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
What engine are we talking about? The crappy turbo 4-cylinder or the reliable 3.6?
I’m in the market for a new Rubicon and have been researching between the 3.6 and 4cyl, now that the 2021s have the etorque 3.6 vs the non-etorque 4cyl, would you still say opt for the 3.6?

Icewater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
The only people who think they're crappy are those who don't own one. The rest of us think they're fabulous.
Not to derail this thread into a 3.6 vs 4cyl but The only bad thing I’ve heard so far is with direct injection and buildup(some installing catch cans to help) in the long run. It seems like I’m leaning towards the 4cyl so hoping that’s an overstated problem for long term use and not as bad as they make it sound.

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback

IMG_0166 (1).jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg
IMG_0239.jpg
IMG_0240.jpg
Ok well now you got me hooked on your netflix season 1 series. However i feel you rushed your conclusion lol. Any updates? Not to dismiss everyones fckn incompetence but its unreal imo for a vehicle so new to have this problem. I feel your pain man id lose it with all this nonsense. Anyhow i read your entire rant. Keep us updated real sorry to hear this

MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL
I had a similar experience. Jeep died, towed to dealer, radio silence. Call dealer service... they put you on hold and there you sit forever, messages never returned. Had one conversation with the service advisor, after which he never to responded to any emails/voicemails. Tried @JeepCares - trust me they don't care. Finally got my Jeep back and learned it had been sitting for days with the work completed... nobody ever contacted me. Honesty not sure I'd own my Jeep out of warranty.

Unfortunately nothing will change as long as they sell 250K Wrangles a year. It's a numbers game for Jeep, the house always wins.

Sponsored

OP
OP
YippieKiYayMrFalcon

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
@YippieKiYayMrFalcon let us know about Ed voyles
At this point, I am beyond satisfied with the level of service they've given me so far. They don't have it fixed yet, but here's my experience so far.

Was towed up there Friday morning (10/2). They told me it would be Monday (10/5) before they could look at it. I called Monday evening, they said they started to look at it, but no diagnosis yet. They just called me today (Wednesday, 10/7) and said codes are pointing to a bad transmission control module. They have one ordered, it should be there this Friday 10/9. They will install Monday and test and hopefully have it ready to go Tuesday. Keep in mind this jeep was at the original dealer 7 weeks, and they never got close to this diagnosis. I actually believe this is correct, based on the codes my OBDII scanner read when this whole thing began. I am beginning to think the original dealer didn't bother reading the codes. I don't know if / how that's possible, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Here is also why I am ready to sing their praises even through my jeep is not ready yet (knock on wood). My Service Advisor has his own voicemail box with his name. Whenever I call, I either speak with him or reach this VM box and he gets back to me within an hour. When I called my old dealer, I was continuously bounced around and then sent to a generic box where my message likely went to die. I never got return calls from them. He's up front with the status and what they're doing and sets my expectations up front.

Whenever I decide (IF I ever decide) to get another Jeep vehicle again, it will be from them. I will also likely continue to go to them for any service I don't do myself.

OP
OP
YippieKiYayMrFalcon

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
3.6, but the issue was with the transmission control module.

This is my 3rd Jeep with the 3.6. My first 2 were JKs. I won't hate on the turbo because I have never driven one, but I'll stand by the 3.6 any time. It is a solid motor. People complain about missing the straight 6 4.0, but the 3.6 is better as far as performance goes, and I think is likely just as reliable. The issue now is just all the damn electronics that control it.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
This may be too late.

But, when I was installing some rock lights, I unplugged a connecter up under the passenger front wheel well, to make it easier to route wires.

I ended up forgetting I had unplugged it, and got the same warnings and lights you are getting. I was about to have it towed to the dealership (It was only 2 weeks old at the time). I racked my brain for a good hour.

Finally decided to UNDO everything I had done, and began removing the lights, thinking I crossed something and was causing a short. As soon as I pulled the wheel well I saw the connector, and smacked myself in the head.

Plugged it in and all was well.

Possibly yours is loose, causing the issue?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...when I was installing some rock lights, I unplugged a connecter up under the passenger front wheel well, to make it easier to route wires.

I ended up forgetting I had unplugged it, and got the same warnings and lights you are getting. I was about to have it towed to the dealership (It was only 2 weeks old at the time). I racked my brain for a good hour.

Finally decided to UNDO everything I had done, and began removing the lights, thinking I crossed something and was causing a short. As soon as I pulled the wheel well I saw the connector, and smacked myself in the head.

Plugged it in and all was well.
When there's trouble in the air, one of the things pilots are trained to do is to undo the most recent action they performed (as circumstances may dictate). Sometimes, this solves the problem in a straightforward manner. This advice came to me from two classmates who are now jet pilots; one commercial, one military.

The foregoing M.O. saved me a lot of aggravation when I was chasing a gremlin after a marathon maintenance & accessory installation session on one of my motorcycles. Glad to read that this approach worked for you, also. :)

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
At this point, I am beyond satisfied with the level of service they've given me so far. They don't have it fixed yet, but here's my experience so far.

Was towed up there Friday morning (10/2). They told me it would be Monday (10/5) before they could look at it. I called Monday evening, they said they started to look at it, but no diagnosis yet. They just called me today (Wednesday, 10/7) and said codes are pointing to a bad transmission control module. They have one ordered, it should be there this Friday 10/9. They will install Monday and test and hopefully have it ready to go Tuesday. Keep in mind this jeep was at the original dealer 7 weeks, and they never got close to this diagnosis. I actually believe this is correct, based on the codes my OBDII scanner read when this whole thing began. I am beginning to think the original dealer didn't bother reading the codes. I don't know if / how that's possible, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Here is also why I am ready to sing their praises even through my jeep is not ready yet (knock on wood). My Service Advisor has his own voicemail box with his name. Whenever I call, I either speak with him or reach this VM box and he gets back to me within an hour. When I called my old dealer, I was continuously bounced around and then sent to a generic box where my message likely went to die. I never got return calls from them. He's up front with the status and what they're doing and sets my expectations up front.

Whenever I decide (IF I ever decide) to get another Jeep vehicle again, it will be from them. I will also likely continue to go to them for any service I don't do myself.
Good to know! I’ll go to them when needed since they’re much closer than MalloGA (also good experience there).
Sponsored