YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I just need to rant, so there's a lot below. My JL is my 6th Wrangler, and may very well be my last, unless I go back to YJs and TJs. The last 7 weeks have been a huge PITA, and everyone from my Dealer to FIAT has pissed be off beyond belief. I've been so patient, but I am over it. If you care to humor me, my story is below.

7 weeks ago, I was driving and got a check engine light, as well as a "stop safely, vehicle will shut off soon" message along with CEL and ESC lights. I was a mile from home, so I got there, parked it and had it towed to the dealer where I bought it, Newnan CDJR in Newnan, GA. (8/12). It is outside my covered area, and I pay an extra $50 to get it there since i assume I will be treated ok, since I bought it there and have been there for service before. Hah.

Over the next 2 weeks, I received no to very little updates about any progress or what was being done. I had a case with @JeepCares opened from day 1. I honestly don't know what their purpose is. They can't seem to make dealers do anything. Maybe they can expedite parts, but that's it.

Anyway, those 2 weeks go by, they call me and tell me they replaced both batteries, come pick it up. I guess it takes a week per battery, whatever. I pay to Uber there ($50), and pick it up. I stop for gas a mile down the road, and when I am pulling out, CEL light, ESC light and Autopark Disengaged messages come on. I immediately take it back. Once I park it at the dealer, it won't start. Shifter flashes. Same lights and warnings. Also, while waiting for them to figure out their next move, I noticed they had scratched up my front fender in the previous 2 weeks it was there. They assure me they'll fix it. Since I am with it this time, I also get a loaner vehicle. (8/28). Side note: I did talk them into doing the steering TSB while it was up there, so at least that did get done fairly simply. I did check, too, and the steering box is the new part number and is black, so I know they did it.

2 more weeks go by. During this time, it's more of the same - JeepCares can't get in touch with my service advisor for actual updates. I get transferred until it rings too much and I get sent to a voicemail box when I call, and can't get in touch with anyone who has a clue. I have no idea what's happening. Finally, I am told that it's the starter, they're expediting one, and will install it and then fix my fender. That was a Thursday (9/10). Jeep Cares confirmed it was delivered the following Monday (9/14) I hear nothing all week. Finally, that Friday (9/18) I call and speak to the service department manager who says the starter is in route and should be there that day. I ask how that's possible since FIAT confirmed delivery on 9/14. I get no answer. Monday comes and goes, no update. On Tuesday (9/22) I call and speak to the dealer's GSM. He is transferring the case to his "most senior service advisor", tells me the part will be installed that day, and I can either pick it up, or wait for them to schedule paint to get the fender fixed. I tell them I don't want it until everything is done. It takes them another week + to get it painted, but they call me yesterday (10/1) to pick it up. Finally, it's over and I can get my jeep back. Hah.

I make it home (35 miles) with no issues. I park it for a few hours, and decide to get lunch. Go to crank it up, and it doesn't start. Same symptoms as when I had to bring it back. There's no way it's going back to Newnan at this point.

I call FIAT roadside and tell them to take it to a pretty popular dealer about 18-24 miles away from me, depending on how you go. I am in Atlanta, and chose Gwinnett CDJR. They tell me it'll be $134 since that is not the closest dealer. The closest dealer is 19 miles away. I ask them why they would not cover to them since it is basically the same distance, and they just say "the system says it's not covered." They give me a list of dealers that are covered (Ed Voyles, Don Jackson, Atlanta West, Landmark). Whatever, it's late in the afternoon. I decide I'll call Ed Voyles, since they are the only in that list I remotely trust (but just barely), see how long it'll be to get to it, and have it towed the following day, Friday (10/2). I call back this morning to schedule the tow, and after having to repeat EVERYTHING (VIN, symptoms, address, etc) even though I was told I wouldn't have to, they set up the tow. I get a text and check the status. They sent a FREAKING JUMP START SERVICE. Even after I confirmed the destination address and tow with the Roadside Agent. I call AGAIN. I have to repeat everything AGAIN. Luckily, I finally get a lady that sounds like she has a brain in her head, she can't understand everything I have gone through up to this point, asks me where I want to get it taken to, and quickly gets a flatbed dispatched. 30 minutes later, it's on its way to Marietta.

If you have made it this far, thanks for reading. Ed Voyles already told me it'll likely be late next week before they can look at it, but I am so over everything at this point, and at least they are setting my expectations up front. Luckily, thanks to COVID I don't need my Jeep for work since I am working from home, and we can use my girlfriend's car for everything else. But JFC. From my original dealer scratching the vehicle and not telling me, not actually fixing it after 7 weeks, not communicating and their general lack of competence, to Jeep Care's lack of actual caring, to Roadside's inability to set up a simple tow, I am over all levels of the Jeep experience. Bring on the Bronco. I'm sure Ford's experience isn't much better, but they at least haven't given me a reason to hate them yet.

Jeep Wrangler JL RANT - Over Jeep, their Dealers and FIAT IMG_0166 (1)

Jeep Wrangler JL RANT - Over Jeep, their Dealers and FIAT IMG_0201

Jeep Wrangler JL RANT - Over Jeep, their Dealers and FIAT IMG_0238
Jeep Wrangler JL RANT - Over Jeep, their Dealers and FIAT IMG_0239
Jeep Wrangler JL RANT - Over Jeep, their Dealers and FIAT IMG_0240
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Geez! Sorry to hear about your experience.

I see you have a 2018 JLU Sahara with 22,000 miles. I have a 2018 JLU Sahara as well, with only 5,000 miles.

I consider myself lucky that it’s been pretty trouble free, but I guess it can start developing issues at any point.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, I've only used FCA’s “Roadside Assistance” twice: in 2013 when I blew a tire near Los Angeles on my 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT, and last year when my Fiat 124 Spider with only 4,000 miles blew its water pump.

My experience with Roadside Assistance in 2013 was similar to the OP’s: it was nonstop arguing with the customer representative about what was covered and what wasn’t (she claimed a tire blowout wasn’t), how far they could tow it and how much I’d have to pay for them to send a truck.

After I had my Challenger towed and a new tire mounted, I gave my CDJR Service Manager an earful. I told him: “FCA either include a spare tire or roadside assistance for flat tires; as it sits, I have no use for this car if I have no way to get home.” That dealer had a lot clout with FCA. He got them to refund me for the tow truck, and an extra $400 to go buy an aftermarket spare tire kit for the Challenger!

FCA should rename its service “Roadside Squabbling.” :CWL:

OP
OP
YippieKiYayMrFalcon

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, I've only used FCA’s “Roadside Assistance” twice: in 2013 when I blew a tire near Los Angeles on my 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT, and last year when my Fiat 124 Spider with only 4,000 miles blew its water pump.

My experience with Roadside Assistance in 2013 was similar to the OP’s: it was nonstop arguing with the customer representative about what was covered and what wasn’t (she claimed a tire blowout wasn’t), how far they could tow it and how much I’d have to pay for them to send a truck.

After I had my Challenger towed and a new tire mounted, I gave my CDJR Service Manager an earful. I told him: “FCA either include a spare tire or roadside assistance for flat tires; as it sits, I have no use for this car if I have no way to get home.” That dealer had a lot clout with FCA. He got them to refund me for the tow truck, and an extra $400 to go buy an aftermarket spare tire kit for the Challenger!

FCA should rename its service “Roadside Squabbling.” :CWL:

That's terrible. At least my Jeep was at home. I'd hate to be stuck on the side of the road arguing with these people.

I spoke to 4 different people there between yesterday and today, and the last lady was the only one that seemed like she cared and could do what she was actually supposed to do. I told her they need to hire more people like her. She laughed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
YippieKiYayMrFalcon

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you seat your fuses? ;)
Definitely. It was the first thing I checked. I also pulled all of the ones I thought could be related to start /stop, ECM, PCM, security gateway, etc, and actually checked each one to make sure none were blown. I also eyeballed all the grounds i could see in the engine bay. Nothing out of the ordinary.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I actually winced at one point in your story... That kind of treatment makes my skin crawl :puke:

OP
OP
YippieKiYayMrFalcon

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
so its not just UK dealers then :mad:
I guess not. It's the entire system that's F'ed. Dealers are all independent, so FIAT can't force them to do anything. Dealer's didn't design or build the vehicle, so they don't always know what's going on. The entire system is a mess and everyone is blameless and can't make the other do anything. Even within FIAT, going between Customer Care, roadside, etc, all the departments are so far removed from each other, they don't give a crap about your overall experience, as long as they can quickly get you out of their part of the process and make you someone else's problem.

OP
OP
YippieKiYayMrFalcon

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I actually winced at one point in your story... That kind of treatment makes my skin crawl :puke:
It's ridiculous. It's to the point when someone actually does what they're supposed to do, I am so amazed and thankful, when really they just met bare minimum expectations. The bar is so low.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I guess not. It's the entire system that's F'ed. Dealers are all independent, so FIAT can't force them to do anything. Dealer's didn't design or build the vehicle, so they don't always know what's going on. The entire system is a mess and everyone is blameless and can't make the other do anything. Even within FIAT, going between Customer Care, roadside, etc, all the departments are so far removed from each other, they don't give a crap about your overall experience, as long as they can quickly get you out of their part of the process and make you someone else's problem.
While this is true, indeed, I find that the way dealers treat customers is, to a large extent, just a reflection of how the automaker treats dealers.

If FCA keeps changing its story, making arbitrary decisions and pulling shit out of its ass —as we all know FCA is capable of doing— dealers won’t trust FCA. And if dealers don’t trust FCA, it becomes very difficult for us customers to trust our dealers —and, by extension, to trust FCA.

As the saying goes: shit rolls downhill.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Definitely. It was the first thing I checked. I also pulled all of the ones I thought could be related to start /stop, ECM, PCM, security gateway, etc, and actually checked each one to make sure none were blown. I also eyeballed all the grounds i could see in the engine bay. Nothing out of the ordinary.
I was half tongue in cheek, but good to know - while it doesn't always correct issues it only takes a minute to rule out.

Sucks to hear about your experience, stories like this are why I'm hesitant to take anything in for service anymore.

I suspect that the original dealer only replaced the main battery, even though they said they replaced both. And that the aux battery is bad and drained the main while you were getting gas. Then I suspect they charged or jumped it to get it started so you could leave again, and when you got home the aux drained the main again.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
In before "lemon law it".

Sorry you're having such troubles. Hopefully you get this sorted out completely, correctly, and quickly.

Sucks that roadside is incompetent. Subaru had no issues towing my wife's Forester back to the dealer when it sprung a massive oil leak after their mechanics cross-threaded the drain plug. The roadside support guy got me a flatbed within ~45 minutes and warned me that because we're out of the "free" 1 or 2 year coverage period that the cost would be on me if it wasn't a dealer service issue. But I never got a bill because the dealer messed up and they were able to remove and replace the entire oil pan in a week, despite it being a massive PITA because of the turbo.

Hopefully it's going to a competent dealer.

OP
OP
YippieKiYayMrFalcon

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In before "lemon law it".

Sorry you're having such troubles. Hopefully you get this sorted out completely, correctly, and quickly.
unfortunately, while it is still under factory warranty, I bought it certified pre owned and GA’s lemon law (from what I could gather) only applies to first owners, regardless of warranty status.
Sponsored