Sponsored

OP
OP

wb880

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 4XE
When the temps were warmer in Oct to Nov the display would say 24-26.

My daily route of 15 miles in the morning and then another 15 miles in the afternoon, my display would say a range of 8 to 10 miles left once I returned home. It was very consistent and accurate, but temps ranged from 50 in the morning to high 70's. The few times I added in a trip to the store or what not the display was accurate within a mile. I almost never depleted the battery in my normal driving. I also use all electric mode Monday-Friday for my errands. The weekends is when I usually burn gas when I put it in hybrid mode and manual shift to get the engine good and hot to not have a fuel refresh cycle. So far I have not had a problem yet. Also love the power when the ICE is running.

As for charging and electric bills I have not noticed much of an increase. I know it went up, but once I got the 4xe I changed a few settings around the house for our normal use of electricity, so I think that helped offset much of an increase. I notice maybe about $20 more a month (after adjusting stuff around the house). I have a kinda breakdown below:

So far I have 1160miles

896 mile on electric
264 on gas.

I have burned a total of 11.8 gallons of fuel at $3.80 a gallon(my cost at my Location in the country). $44.84 total

I have logged 640 kwh for charging at 10 cents a kwh for a total of 64 dollars.

So a total combined cost of $108.84 to travel 1160 miles

If I take $108.84 and divided by $3.80 (gallon of gas) it would translate to 28.64 gallons of gas used to travel the 1160 miles or 40.5mpg.

If I break it down further I am getting 22.37 MPG when the ICE is running and 53.2MPGe in electric, again due to the cost of fuel and electricity in my location, your mileage figures will vary due to your cost.

Overall still very happy with the performance and MPG with a off-roading machine.

I dont have solar panels on my house, but if you have solar it would offset the cost even more, but...the cost of solar panel is very cost prohibitive to me since NV power is charged at 10 cents a kwh, which is pretty cheap considering I have seen CA power charged at 25 cents kwh.

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Just popping in for a quick question for owners of the 4xe.

What if any has been your electric costs gone up per month?

I'm pro electric so I'm legit asking.
Mine has gone up ~35-45% with no free or discounted charging hours. In real $$ it's been maybe 20 bucks a month. Where I am we are all hydro though, so power is cheap relative to other places.

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
I own a Pacifica hybrid and sold a Tesla for the JLUR. Cold weather will zap 30% or more of your range and it doesn’t have to be super cold to do so. If you are worried about it keep track of your daily range and the temperature high/low. If it doesn’t come back up next spring you have a solid case to show Jeep. If you know you are driving at 12PM and it takes 2hrs to charge on your charger don’t start charging the Jeep until 9:50AM. Use that charging warmth to improve your driving range. This feature is built into the Tesla app and is wonderful.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
24 miles per charge
20 miles per charge
16 miles per charge
what difference is it, these clearly are at the very lowest end of the "green" meter with any of these numbers
Then they actually get less mpg on gas than the exact same engine without the "green" features
But hey, I hear they are quite fast off the line so... who cares ?
None of us went to the Jeep dealer because we wanted to "hug the trees" or "save the planet" anyways so just enjoy the ride, if a single one of you bought a 4XE to save on fuel costs then you really need to get back to math class cause that aint gonna happen any time soon
Have fun out there guys, and quit worrying so much about the fuel economy of a $50,000 car

Sponsored

Peabody

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 Rubicon, 2021JLR Rubicon, 2006 Rubicon
I think it’s normal what you are getting.
Mine went from using 45% battery life int the summer for a 15 mile commute to 75% battery life for the same commute when it’s 35-50 degrees.
We are all in the same boat since it’s the first winter for these. What we learn now will be normal next winter for us.
But aren’t they cool as chit though?

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
24 miles per charge
20 miles per charge
16 miles per charge
what difference is it, these clearly are at the very lowest end of the "green" meter with any of these numbers
Then they actually get less mpg on gas than the exact same engine without the "green" features
But hey, I hear they are quite fast off the line so... who cares ?
None of us went to the Jeep dealer because we wanted to "hug the trees" or "save the planet" anyways so just enjoy the ride, if a single one of you bought a 4XE to save on fuel costs then you really need to get back to math class cause that aint gonna happen any time soon
Have fun out there guys, and quit worrying so much about the fuel economy of a $50,000 car
Your math is just a bit off. Buying the 4xe to save on fuel costs is very much a valid reason.

Looking at my log and as of my most recent entry I have gone 3901 miles on 76 gallons of gas. Averaging out my mpg across 5 fill ups, (19.26) I have been able to put 99 less gallons of gas in the fuel tank.

I have charged roughly 1600 kwh at a price of .095 per kWh, which has cost me $157. Adding that to the $289 I have spent on gas it has cost me a net of $447 to cover the 3901 miles. The combined cost works out to roughly 8.7 miles per dollar spent on "propellant". Currently gas is 4.09 per gallon here so I am getting the cost equivalent of 35.6 mpg.

So tell me again how that's less "green"? I'm sending less CO2 out of my tail pipe and keeping more dollars in my wallet per mile travelled. Compared to the standard 2.0, gas would need to cost under 2.59 per gallon before it was more efficient from a cost of consumption standpoint.

Stepping further back I paid 53k for my Rubicon 4xe, and with the tax credit it will end up costing 45.5k. Currently the cheapest similarly equipped non hybrid near me is 57k. So based on the deal I got in May and the current market, I actually saved 12,500 which at 8.7 miles per dollar works out to a savings equivalent of 108,750 miles. Taking the fuel economy of the standard 2.0T (22.5 combined) and the traveling the equivalent miles above it would take ~4800 gallons to cover that distance, which at 4.09 a gallon is damn near 20k. So yeah...

Last edited:

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Your math is just a bit off. Buying the 4xe to save on fuel costs is very much a valid reason.

Looking at my log and as of my most recent entry I have gone 3901 miles on 76 gallons of gas. Averaging out my mpg across 5 fill ups, (19.26) I have been able to put 99 less gallons of gas in the fuel tank.

I have charged roughly 1600 kwh at a price of .095 per kWh, which has cost me $157. Adding that to the $289 I have spent on gas it has cost me a net of $447 to cover the 3901 miles. The combined cost works out to roughly 8.7 miles per dollar spent on "propellant". Currently gas is 4.09 per gallon here so I am getting the cost equivalent of 35.6 mpg.

So tell me again how that's less "green"? I'm sending less CO2 out of my tail pipe and keeping more dollars in my wallet per mile travelled. Compared to the standard 2.0, gas would need to cost under 2.59 per gallon before it was more efficient from a cost of consumption standpoint.

Stepping further back I paid 53k for my Rubicon 4xe, and with the tax credit it will end up costing 45.5k. Currently the cheapest similarly equipped non hybrid near me is 57k. So based on the deal I got in May and the current market, I actually saved 12,500 which at 8.7 miles per dollar works out to a savings equivalent of 108,750 miles. Taking the fuel economy of the standard 2.0T (22.5 combined) and the traveling the equivalent miles above it would take ~4800 gallons to cover that distance, which at 4.09 a gallon is damn near 20k. So yeah...
Sounds like my math might be a tad off indeed
Been paying $2.79 for gas here vs your $4.09 and our electric is 11 cents per kwh vs 9.5 cents so there does seem to be some regional variations for these units which could be even much more both directions depending on our local costs
Sounds like your on top of your cost so I'll agree but I still think I'd buy one just for the performance upgrade which I've seen is pretty extreme, not 392 extreme, but still pretty awesome - Happy wheeling

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Sounds like my math might be a tad off indeed
Been paying $2.79 for gas here vs your $4.09 and our electric is 11 cents per kwh vs 9.5 cents so there does seem to be some regional variations for these units which could be even much more both directions depending on our local costs
Sounds like your on top of your cost so I'll agree but I still think I'd buy one just for the performance upgrade which I've seen is pretty extreme, not 392 extreme, but still pretty awesome - Happy wheeling
Yeah we have some of the highest gas prices in the country courtesy of damn near 80 cents per gallon in state tax. There are a ton of regional variables that need to be factored for each individual and their situation. For me the factors here locally were just too compelling. I traded in my '16 Rubicon Hard Rock with 70k miles on it for 5k less than I originally paid for it, so buying the 4xe at the price I negotiated + the tax credit was a no brainer that I couldn't walk away from. The performance boost was a secondary benefit.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
If you know you are driving at 12PM and it takes 2hrs to charge on your charger don’t start charging the Jeep until 9:50AM. Use that charging warmth to improve your driving range. This feature is built into the Tesla app and is wonderful.
I think this works

Charge just before driving, I used to charge up the night before, and the range just seemed to melt away, now I charge up just before I head out and range appears to hold up better, I also avoid over using the heated seats and steering.

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I drove through Vegas yesterday. It was cold af. Cold affects EV range.
Technically cold will affect any vehicle's range. Yes, it is the temperature change that is affecting your range. The battery pack is relatively small, and the jeep is a brick.

fogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
We went to grocery store today and left the 4xe sitting for about 30-45 minutes in 20 or so degrees. On the ride back, with 1/2 charge available, it wouldn't run on full electric - would switch to hybrid and the ICE would come on. Anyone else experience this?

milesjj_20

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I was dealing with a similar problem when I picked up my 4xe a few weeks ago. Initially the battery seemed to drain way too fast before I could even reap its benefits (not using gas). Lately, the dashboard has been showing 27 miles of battery which seems to be accurate based on my drive. In total I drive about 20 miles and by the time I get to my destination, if I keep everything in check (windows, temp, speed), I still have about 6-7 miles left according to the dashboard.

I too was concerned and even made a similar post here asking if I should get it checked. But the range has been improving for me with more driving. I only have 400 miles on it thus far and loving every one of it!

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
We went to grocery store today and left the 4xe sitting for about 30-45 minutes in 20 or so degrees. On the ride back, with 1/2 charge available, it wouldn't run on full electric - would switch to hybrid and the ICE would come on. Anyone else experience this?
That’s pretty standard. The ICE kicks on to bring the battery and cabin back up to temperature. Best to just keep it in Hybrid and let it do it’s thing.

HeidiHoForTheHills

First Name
Heidi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Hi,

Even cold the electric mode is still enough for me to do what I need to do. I was just worried that something may be going wrong with the battery loosing power and range so quickly.

-
I live in sunny California. Just returned from a road trip to British Columbia, Canada. The first thing I noticed was that my electric range was nearly cut in half with the -10 degree celsius weather. I was not expecting the cold to cut the range like that but it certainly did! Boo!
Sponsored