Sponsored

Range Depleting Fast in my 4XE

wb880

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 4XE
Hi,

All of this is in Electric mode only: in my 4XE Rubicon. Still stock.

I have had my 4xe since last week of October. I was usually getting 24 to 26 miles of electric range from the battery at the time.

I am a creature of habit and do the same errands and routes everyday with only deviations on the weekend.

The last 3 weeks the range will display 21 to 23 miles, and I barely get 16 miles out of the battery doing the same route.

Climate control is off, windows up.

My trips are 4 miles out, return, and then 3.5 miles and return for a total of 15 miles, then repeat in the afternoon.

The first month I would have 8 to 10 miles left from both the morning trips and afternoon trips. Recently I almost do not make it home on only battery power.

The only change is temperature going from 50s to 70s spread to 40s to maybe 60. I live in Las Vegas, so usually hot temps. I do park it in the garage which stays above 50 degrees even with morning temps going down to 30.

So far my habits have not changed, climate control is always off ( my drives are less than 8-10 minutes), always charge with a level 2 charger in my garage. Only thing I can think of is the outside temps have dropped, but still well above freezing when operating the vehicle. Maybe some heater for the battery is on due to the temps?

I did have one check engine light come on the 2nd day of ownership. A battery coolant line was not installed properly from the factory and caused a coolant leak. The newly trained 4xe tech was able to secure the line and refill/purge the system of any air. Fixed in about 2 hours at the dealer. No issues since.

Everything appears to be fine other than the range depleting fast. I am hesitant to take it in as I dont want to be charged a diagnostic fee of $100 just for them to tell me it is in spec.

Should I just suck it up and maybe wait for spring and warmer temps to see if the range returns ( not sure if it will help as I am in a warmer climate), of should I just try to take it into the dealer?

Not complaining, still very happy with my 4xe. I have 1100 miles on it now and have only put in 10.8 gallons of fuel.
Sponsored

OP
OP

wb880

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi,

Yes Saturday, Sunday, and today are colder than normal. We then bounce back to the 60's starting tomorrow. I can understand the last 3 days, but not sure about the last 3 to 4 weeks?

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I'd chuck it up to even that slight change in temp. The battery compartment is climate controlled as well, so I'd think the Jeep is working a little harder to keep the battery good to go.

I'd expect to see it go back up come spring.

Sponsored

bossboy302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Actually, it isn't an EV at all. It is a Hybrid, designed and engineered to act like a hybrid. That means the small displacement ICE can have it's power output augmented by battery driven electric motors. Sometimes. When needed. It isn't an EV. Isn't meant to be one. Sorry...

Jfk3674

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4XE Rubicon
If you start the car up while plugged in to warm the car up does that help the cold situation? Or is it just the general operation in cold?

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, it isn't an EV at all. It is a Hybrid, designed and engineered to act like a hybrid. That means the small displacement ICE can have it's power output augmented by battery driven electric motors. Sometimes. When needed. It isn't an EV. Isn't meant to be one. Sorry...
I believe @Low_Spark was making a point. In the summer we can enjoy higher mileage out of electric mode and we accept that in the winter we'll be mixing more ICE driving than the pure electric mode we enjoyed in the summer.

I concur and am also ok with that.

Still having a blast. Over 11,000km now.

OP
OP

wb880

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi,

Even cold the electric mode is still enough for me to do what I need to do. I was just worried that something may be going wrong with the battery loosing power and range so quickly.

I love having a plug in hybrid to save lots of gas for errands, and to just go on a longer drive and use it like a normal vehicle with the ICE. Plus, even after paying for eletricity for charging this 4XE is saving me almost $150 a month in fuel compared to my Lexus GX I replaced it with.

Sponsored

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I believe @Low_Spark was making a point. In the summer we can enjoy higher mileage out of electric mode and we accept that in the winter we'll be mixing more ICE driving than the pure electric mode we enjoyed in the summer.

I concur and am also ok with that.

Still having a blast. Over 11,000km now.
Thank you, and yes that was my point. I said for me it's a good EV, my driving routine is such that in the summer I was getting nearly 1k miles per tank and nearly all of the ICE miles were from excursions into the woods.

jimmym1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Our other car is a Tesla. Rated at about 291 miles per charge. Summer time I get about 220-240 and winter time I get a solid 180-220 depending on the city vs highway driving. This is definitely all weather related. I've noticed over the past few years that any temperature below 70 starts to affect the range on the battery because the car has to continually use energy to keep the pack at temp. I would assume the 4XE is doing the same.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I'm in Toronto, Ontario Canada, 33f today I got about 15 miles with 7% remaining after a round trip

I turn on the e-save at times if I have to go on a highway that is moving, to save the battery for city stop and go.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Just popping in for a quick question for owners of the 4xe.

What if any has been your electric costs gone up per month?

I'm pro electric so I'm legit asking.

ras815

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
All types of motors - whether EV, PHEV, regular hybrid or ICE - are adversely affected by colder temps. Unless you're seeing a major dip in range (beyond 30%), then it is likely operating normally.

To clarify: was your range indicator saying 24-26 before winter (versus 21-24 now), or were you actually getting 24-26 miles (versus 16 now)? I'd expect a 10-20% drop due to temps, but not a 40-50% drop.
Sponsored