Random Thoughts from a new Jeep Owner

runningshoes

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
By way of background bought a 2019 JLU Sahara 2T about a year ago, to be used as a daily ride plus off road when the opportunity came up. Put about 8k miles on it in a year and another 3k miles in the last 10 days going out to Colorado from Chicago and back. Did my first off roading a lifetime ago in the military and over the last few years got back into it with friends, rentals, etc., nothing fancy, but enough to get me to buy one of my own. Read a lot of stuff here, but some of it really only sinks in after you're sitting in the vehicle for a while. So with that...

Lesson #1 - treating the purchase in a rational way like any other car which is why I ended up with the Sahara. Should have bought the Rubicon
Lesson #2 - how in the world has Jeep not figured out how to sell an integrated topo map package with the NAV system? Interestingly enough, once we got to most of the trails (Ophir, Engineers, Argentine, etc.) they show up on the regular NAV system and are almost good enough to use on their own if you plan on staying on a single trail. If Jeep has a Lurker on site, call me - we'll work out a commission deal :)
Lesson #3 - had a 2.5" TerraFlex / Falcon lift kit installed before we left, but kept the stock tires thinking the extra clearance and improved suspension would be a good first step for the moderate trails we hit. The 2 - 3 spots I needed to think about how to get over were more a reflection on my capabilities and not the Jeep's.
Lesson #4 - driving through Illinois, Nebraska and parts of Kansas for 4 days to get 4 days of off roading in is simply painful.... (by day 3 the dog was looking for a new family)
Lesson #5 - most important one - the off road community is awesome! People were really great out on the trails, answered questions, provided advice about spots that don't show up anywhere and are worth visiting, so on.

Thanks to all for the advice provided here - hope to be able to contribute as well going forward - Eli
Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
For #2, if you have an iPhone, you can actually project Gaia to the 8.4 NAV system. Androids are SOL because Google won't allow anyone else's NAV app to be projected.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
#4.... I’d guess you mean 2 days out and 2 days back?

Guess it depends on where in Colorado you went. From Southern Indiana I have driven to route to MB SC MANY times in one day. Easy!!!!

Denver for example which is centrally located is under 19 hours from southern Indiana. Easy 2 day. Possibly you stopped at every “what’s that” location which would of course take you longer.

Like said by another member.... “sprint”. Use your “runningshoes”. Lol.

Welcome aboard!!!! Enjoy!!!!!! We love pics!!!!

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
For #2, if you have an iPhone, you can actually project Gaia to the 8.4 NAV system. Androids are SOL because Google won't allow anyone else's NAV app to be projected.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but I have an Android phone and a 2018 GC with the 8.4 nav. Mine will display Google maps on my GC's nav screen via a USB cable.

I haven't tried it yet on my wife's JL Recon but don't see that there would be any difference.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but I have an Android phone and a 2018 GC with the 8.4 nav. Mine will display Google maps on my GC's nav screen via a USB cable.

I haven't tried it yet on my wife's JL Recon but don't see that there would be any difference.
Google Maps and Waze works, but not any others as far as I know. @plex was pointing out an off-road oriented maps app called Gaia, works with Apple Carplay.

OP
OP
runningshoes

runningshoes

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Regarding the driving, it was 2 days out and 2 back, plus another half day each way to/from Denver/Ouray. It was painful, but definitely worth it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Can you take a photo of that? I'd love to see how it looks. I'm up for a new phone and am pretty solid in the Android camp, but if this is appealing enough, it might make me pause for a minute and reconsider.

OP
OP
runningshoes

runningshoes

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
#4.... I’d guess you mean 2 days out and 2 days back?

Guess it depends on where in Colorado you went. From Southern Indiana I have driven to route to MB SC MANY times in one day. Easy!!!!

Denver for example which is centrally located is under 19 hours from southern Indiana. Easy 2 day. Possibly you stopped at every “what’s that” location which would of course take you longer.

Like said by another member.... “sprint”. Use your “runningshoes”. Lol.

Welcome aboard!!!! Enjoy!!!!!! We love pics!!!!
Couple of pics - the red jeep was coming up as we were going down, and the deer were right on Main in Ouray by the Inn we were at.
Jeep Wrangler JL Random Thoughts from a new Jeep Owner Colorado.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Random Thoughts from a new Jeep Owner Ouray
Sponsored