Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
im looking at getting a set. was pretty much set on the JKS till i saw you have to cut a tab on the axle. wasnt really looking to do any permanent modifications and that's pretty permanent. once you go JKS, there's no going back lol.
I felt the same way at first. The other links use extension tabs to avoid cutting that tab off. I'm done with extending things, I want the full length. That tab confuses me because there is no structural reason for it to be there that I can find. I believe JKS came to this same conclusion because having you cut off a tab that would be needed structurally is a law suit in the making. On top of all that they are solid (I have them on my LJ) and a great reputation.
Whatever you decide to get talk to John @OffRoadWarehouse, he will get you a good deal and answer any questions you may have on all the different options.
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
did you install them yourself? seems pretty straight forward... unfortunately no videos that i can find..
Yeah I did, pretty simple. But like others have said you have to cut the little “ear” off on the passenger side for it to work. Just used a sawzall cut it enough and painted it. The hardest part was getting the bracket that holds them up when disconnected bolted up cuz there is like no room. And then just adjust the length on them so theres like a 5-10 degree incline to them when hooked up.

mer43

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 ZJ 5.9, '18 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
FYI,
My RK's on my 2.5" RK lift started to rattle badly before 5000 miles. I've since removed them and am using the stock rear links in the front position, until I see a better solution. The rear are still silent. Since it's a rubi, I can use the disco, but see more articulation manually disconnecting the sway bar. Not much, but it's there.

G Man

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport 2 Door
I ordered and received the Rancho disconnects. They look to be of solid build, but I had issues on the install that prevented me from completing the project. I followed the instructions and it seems pretty straight forward. I got the 2 relocation brackets on the axle mounted and went to install the links and realized they are way too long. I cannot shorten them enough to fit between the sway and axle. The relocation brackets actually raise the connect point which in turn shortens the link. The Rancho links at their shortest point are 3/4" longer than the OEM links. I don't see how that will work.
I've emailed tech support and hope to get a resolution soon. Of coarse it was a PITA because I had to take everything back apart and re-install factory parts. I was so looking forward to not have to wallow in the dirt to disconnect this weekend.
BTW, my local Jeep shop highly recommended the Rock Krawlers. I did like the Rancho solution for holding the links out of the way vs. a strap so i ordered the Rancho's instead. Maybe I should listen to the experts. :)

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
FYI,
My RK's on my 2.5" RK lift started to rattle badly before 5000 miles. I've since removed them and am using the stock rear links in the front position, until I see a better solution. The rear are still silent. Since it's a rubi, I can use the disco, but see more articulation manually disconnecting the sway bar. Not much, but it's there.
Don't the rear links put the front sway bar way above level? I looked at putting the rears up front after I put my 2.5" RC budget lift on and it would have put the front sway bar way above level which I didn't like.

Sponsored

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
FYI,
How were they rattling bud? There is not a metal to metal connection with them. Give us a shout and we are sure we can help you figure out what the issue was.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How were they rattling bud? There is not a metal to metal connection with them. Give us a shout and we are sure we can help you figure out what the issue was.
I'm not the OP but I do have a question. Don't they use Johnny Joints? In which case they could make clicking sounds.

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
I'm not the OP but I do have a question. Don't they use Johnny Joints? In which case they could make clicking sounds.
No sir. They use a thermoelastomer (rubber style) ball with a sleeve. A dull thud would be a sign of a worn one, not a loose rattle. A loose rattle would typically indicate a loose connection...

RanchoShocks

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gorancho.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Did Tech get you straightened out? I think you reached out to me on Facebook and I referred you to them, since I hadn't heard of this before and wanted it on the record.
Matt

I ordered and received the Rancho disconnects. They look to be of solid build, but I had issues on the install that prevented me from completing the project. I followed the instructions and it seems pretty straight forward. I got the 2 relocation brackets on the axle mounted and went to install the links and realized they are way too long. I cannot shorten them enough to fit between the sway and axle. The relocation brackets actually raise the connect point which in turn shortens the link. The Rancho links at their shortest point are 3/4" longer than the OEM links. I don't see how that will work.
I've emailed tech support and hope to get a resolution soon. Of coarse it was a PITA because I had to take everything back apart and re-install factory parts. I was so looking forward to not have to wallow in the dirt to disconnect this weekend.
BTW, my local Jeep shop highly recommended the Rock Krawlers. I did like the Rancho solution for holding the links out of the way vs. a strap so i ordered the Rancho's instead. Maybe I should listen to the experts. :)

mer43

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 ZJ 5.9, '18 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I threw them in a pile of garage trophies. PM me an address and I'll send them to you for your inspection, when I get a chance. Those god-awful straps are still bolted onto my jeep.

Sponsored

mer43

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 ZJ 5.9, '18 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Don't the rear links put the front sway bar way above level? I looked at putting the rears up front after I put my 2.5" RC budget lift on and it would have put the front sway bar way above level which I didn't like.
You SHOULD like them above level. It prevents them from over-rotating around and binding up, and blowing apart using the rubi disconnects, and you'll get more down travel than up travel on all these suspensions.

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
I threw them in a pile of garage trophies. PM me an address and I'll send them to you for your inspection, when I get a chance. Those god-awful straps are still bolted onto my jeep.
PM sent.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You SHOULD like them above level. It prevents them from over-rotating around and binding up, and blowing apart using the rubi disconnects, and you'll get more down travel than up travel on all these suspensions.
OK, I was always told and saw on all of the Jeeps on the lot that the sway bars were set to level and could be anywhere up to 15 degrees above level. I don't have a Rubi so my discos will be manual when I put them on. I understand what you are saying about binding but I thought that only occurred on low sway bars.
I will set mine a little above level when I do it and take advantage of the extra articulation.

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
OK, I was always told and saw on all of the Jeeps on the lot that the sway bars were set to level and could be anywhere up to 15 degrees above level. I don't have a Rubi so my discos will be manual when I put them on. I understand what you are saying about binding but I thought that only occurred on low sway bars.
I will set mine a little above level when I do it and take advantage of the extra articulation.
Definitely go a little up over level if you have a suspension with a lot of droop!

G Man

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport 2 Door
Did Tech get you straightened out? I think you reached out to me on Facebook and I referred you to them, since I hadn't heard of this before and wanted it on the record.
Matt
I don't have a resolution yet. I'm going to return them for credit. I will send in some pics for your R&D team next time I pull the tire. I bought the Rock Krawlers and they fit a they should. I would have liked the Ranchos simply for he fact of the retention bracket vs. the strap. But it seemed the resolution was going to take longer than I wanted to wait. I'm tired of getting on my back to hard disconnect the end links. Good luck Rancho!
Sponsored