Rancho RS9000XL vs. Fox vs. Lifts

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
looking to upgrade my suspension on my DD JLU Sport. Mostly on road with occasional moderate off reading. I am mostly interested in the Rancho, but I don’t think I want 3.5”. I’m interested in 2.5 inch, but want to see 3.5. Post your photos of your Sports or Sahara, and what lifts you guys like.
Sponsored

PiroJeep96

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
can I get a lift from Rancho for my non rubicon for 2,5 inches rather than 3.
I am also mainly looking at the Rancho Kits. Thinking the RS9000 adj shocks. I have only seen a 2” and 3.5” lift. Now i have had a hard time finding a non rubicon lift for my JLU Sport. But i am actually just considering running the Rubi lift. From my understanding it would just net around 1” more than a sport lift? So a 2” lift designed for a rubi would net around 3” on a Sport? I know i added more questions to the thread but this is closest ive come to finding some information on the delema

PiroJeep96

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
can I get a lift from Rancho for my non rubicon for 2,5 inches rather than 3.
Also i found a thread from 2018 by RanchoShocks that states the biggest difference between Rubi and Non Rubi kit is the bump stops? Wich makes sense with the high line fenders of a Rubi but he never said the springs where necessarily different. Lots of confusion surrounding this lol

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Rancho 2.0 w/RS9000's on my JLUR, I netted right around 2"s. So I think on a a sport you're going to get around 2.5"'s. it's a nice setup. no major complaints about the components. it does ride a little stiffer but the adjustability of the shocks help tremendously.

Sponsored

PiroJeep96

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I have the Rancho 2.0 w/RS9000's on my JLUR, I netted right around 2"s. So I think on a a sport you're going to get around 2.5"'s. it's a nice setup. no major complaints about the components. it does ride a little stiffer but the adjustability of the shocks help tremendously.
Great looking rig i love the color! Thanks for the reply ive heard good things about the Rancho but i have heard it makes them a bit stiff. Personally i think my 18 JLU Sport S rides a little soft.. so maybe that wont be a bad thing. We do alot of camping and hunting i was hoping the adj shocks would help with some of the load bearing

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Great looking rig i love the color! Thanks for the reply ive heard good things about the Rancho but i have heard it makes them a bit stiff. Personally i think my 18 JLU Sport S rides a little soft.. so maybe that wont be a bad thing. We do alot of camping and hunting i was hoping the adj shocks would help with some of the load bearing
Thanks I love my "Greycie". From the 1 camping trip I've done with the lift. it definitely helped I run day-day on setting 3, with the back end loaded I adjusted the rear to 5 and didn't notice the load in the back. It's a nice set-up, I love getting off the beaten path but by no means a true "rock crawler", I know the rig can take it but my wallet wouldn't like the repercussions of slipups on the trail. I say that because the down travel is not as good as some of the other lifts but better than the stock Rubicon suspension also had I replaced 2 shocks/2 different occasions for leaking issues. It has helped me keep my belly off of some of obstacles and I was able to keep a near stock look w/35's and a similar wheel gap, which I like!

one note: I did add the longer Mopar LCAs $60 extra to raise my caster back to 6ish degrees with the lift.

PiroJeep96

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Thanks I love my "Greycie". From the 1 camping trip I've done with the lift. it definitely helped I run day-day on setting 3, with the back end loaded I adjusted the rear to 5 and didn't notice the load in the back. It's a nice set-up, I love getting off the beaten path but by no means a true "rock crawler", I know the rig can take it but my wallet wouldn't like the repercussions of slipups on the trail. I say that because the down travel is not as good as some of the other lifts but better than the stock Rubicon suspension also had I replaced 2 shocks/2 different occasions for leaking issues. It has helped me keep my belly off of some of obstacles and I was able to keep a near stock look w/35's and a similar wheel gap, which I like!

one note: I did add the longer Mopar LCAs $60 extra to raise my caster back to 6ish degrees with the lift.
Thanks for all the info! I also considered ordering the Mopar LCAs for the caster adj, glad to hear it works good! Im running Rubi take of 285s rn and when those wear out i will go to 35s. So for the time being the tires may be a bit small for 2-3” lift but i only have 2500 miles on them and want the extra suspension travel and fender gap for wheeling. (I eat the fenders now) Do you think the leaky shocks may have been cause by them being over extended similar to AnnDee4444 stated? I suppose itd be something to keep in mind like you said about the down travel.. but if its better than your stock Rubi itd have to be much better than my stock sport

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the info! I also considered ordering the Mopar LCAs for the caster adj, glad to hear it works good! Im running Rubi take of 285s rn and when those wear out i will go to 35s. So for the time being the tires may be a bit small for 2-3” lift but i only have 2500 miles on them and want the extra suspension travel and fender gap for wheeling. (I eat the fenders now) Do you think the leaky shocks may have been cause by them being over extended similar to AnnDee4444 stated? I suppose itd be something to keep in mind like you said about the down travel.. but if its better than your stock Rubi itd have to be much better than my stock sport
I think I may have miss spoken my leaky shocks were the OEM Rubicon shocks, after the second time, I decided to move away from them. it was all under warranty but I was sick of dealing with them. There is a few threads on here that I did after the Rancho install. BLF: I had some issues that turned out to be w/ the install and things not being torq'd correctly (lesson learned: do it myself).

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
FWIW: The Rancho 0" lift shocks actually have less travel than the OEM Sport shocks. Keep in mind, the 0" lift number is based off of Rubicon height. So if you had a stock height Rubicon and put on the no-lift Rancho shocks, it would flex less than a Sport.

The Rancho 2" shocks have 7.05" of travel. OEM Rubicon shock travel is 7.88", but obviously doesn't have the proper droop for a 2" lift. I'm not normally one to recommend shock extensions, but in this case you would get more travel with them, and save some money over purchasing the Rancho shocks.

None of this is factoring in any ride quality improvements the Rancho shocks may or may not give (I've never run them so I can't comment or ride quality).

Jeep Wrangler JL Rancho RS9000XL vs. Fox vs. Lifts JL Front Shock Travel

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW: The Rancho 0" lift shocks actually have less travel than the OEM Sport shocks. Keep in mind, the 0" lift number is based off of Rubicon height. So if you had a stock height Rubicon and put on the no-lift Rancho shocks, it would flex less than a Sport.

The Rancho 2" shocks have 7.05" of travel. OEM Rubicon shock travel is 7.88", but obviously doesn't have the proper droop for a 2" lift. I'm not normally one to recommend shock extensions, but in this case you would get more travel with them, and save some money over purchasing the Rancho shocks.

None of this is factoring in any ride quality improvements the Rancho shocks may or may not give (I've never run them so I can't comment or ride quality).

This is what I was referring to in a previous post, Thanks for the graph, I couldn't remember where it was that I saw this (I need to save this chart). I knew this Limfac(limiting factor) going into the purchase and honestly I haven't noticed an issue but again I am not a big rock crawler. if it gets to be a big issue I could always upgrade the shocks. Until that day comes this is a great entry level lift for a mild wheeler.

Thanks for the visual!

PiroJeep96

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I think I may have miss spoken my leaky shocks were the OEM Rubicon shocks, after the second time, I decided to move away from them. it was all under warranty but I was sick of dealing with them. There is a few threads on here that I did after the Rancho install. BLF: I had some issues that turned out to be w/ the install and things not being torq'd correctly (lesson learned: do it myself).
Ahh I gotcha I thought you ment from the rancho shocks and thank you so much again for all the info! Yes I figured out how touchy the LCAs can be after a install about 2 months ago on my brothers JLU we had a clunk after the install and narrowed it down to the LCA bolt on the frame not quite being tight enuff (even tho it was tight) i think spec called for 160 ft lb.. after re torquing the issue subsided.

PiroJeep96

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS

Thanks for the graph lots of info there!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Thanks for the graph lots of info there!
FYI: The different colors are my attempt at showing the different bump stop lengths required (each color section is approximately 1"). Also, this is all a guess based on gathered data, and I haven't actually tested this myself.
Sponsored