Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll preface this by saying that my mechanical skills are mediocre at best. But I feel like I must be missing something here.

Removing the bolts, no issue.

Fitting the glide plate, no issue.

Inserting control arm bolt, no issue. (used a ratchet strap to pull bottom of axle forward to align)

The problem comes when I try inserting the bolt for the shock. I can’t get the holes lined up. The shock extends and I cannot get it back into alignment. Without the glide plate in place I can do it easily by using a wooden dowel where the blue arrow is in the pic below to wedge the shock up into alignment. But that area is inaccessible with the glide plate in place.

Any tips?

00E4828F-94EC-493F-8EC2-2045F8FCB39A.jpeg

C814DC31-2C0A-4B6C-B07E-F1CD92CEDBED.jpeg
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I think I grabbed a metal punch that is much smaller diameter than the bolt, and caught the shock with it through the skid, used it to wedge the shock hole to center up with the skid hole and then slid the bolt in starting from the opposite side.

OP
OP
ConqSoft

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I think I grabbed a metal punch that is much smaller diameter than the bolt, and caught the shock with it through the skid, used it to wedge the shock hole to center up with the skid hole and then slid the bolt in starting from the opposite side.
Thanks for that. I was actually in the process of doing that very thing but chickened out because I though I might damage the shock eyelet.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I had the same issue and realized that it all goes in real easy if you use a bottle jack or scissor jack placed in the right position to give you a little lift so the shock lines up perfectly. Cant remember exactly where i placed the jack to get the desired lift but that was the solution. It may have been at the bottom of the new skid plate to prevent it from slipping down under pressure from the shock.

OP
OP
ConqSoft

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the response. I finally did end up getting them installed over the weekend by using a punch to line up the holes.

0DE05FA3-3378-4643-B163-A8E549F1F317.jpeg

E0E2D7B2-9F8B-463C-A3EC-127229D784F5.jpeg
Sponsored