brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
saw that "18sport" asked for some pics.....didn't see that any were posted yet.

Mine came yesterday. Ordered directly from Rampage web site last week......(unfortunately the wind-jammer was Out of Stock).

Yes - I have the JTOPS tonneau also (the magnets can be seen in the pics LOL) but am not yet won over by it. It is a quality product. sleek and seems manufactured with care but it just seems a bit on the thin (??) side if that makes sense. The Rampage cover does feel more substantial (at least it is thicker/heavier plus the velcro tabs that seal it around the roll bar is a nice back-to-the-80's look and feature).

Install does require using the tailgate bar from the soft top; as a result there is no need to remove those rear soft top corner wrap around things. It fits right over top of them nicely. My soft-top is the Bestop NX fast back (that thing kicks %#$) and it slid onto the tailgate bar they use like a glove. I did drive for a little bit at some highway speeds (65-70 MPH) with no issues. the tail gate opens/closes without any issues. The fit is like any soft top (i.e. snug if you install it correctly) and it reaches almost to the back side of the rear seats.....

IMG_1297.jpg
IMG_1296.jpg
IMG_1295.jpg
That looks better than the GPCA cover I got. I don't have a soft-top, so I am not sure what the "tailgate bar" is. Can you post a picture of it? Does anyone have a part number for it? I am assuming its a dealer-order item.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Farmdawg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
That looks better than the GPCA cover I got. I don't have a soft-top, so I am not sure what the "tailgate bar" is. Can you post a picture of it? Does anyone have a part number for it? I am assuming its a dealer-order item.

Thanks!
Quadratec has the tailgate bar, and the bar keepers in stock for the JL. They list the MOpar part number in the item description.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Quadratec has the tailgate bar, and the bar keepers in stock for the JL. They list the MOpar part number in the item description.
Well thatā€™s a crazy price. Guess I modify GPCA to work better. Thanks.

3D461959-C9B0-47F7-ACA6-B623C9F229B3.png

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Ouch. When you already have a soft top and its parts, that makes it easier to use the Rampage one.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ouch. When you already have a soft top and its parts, that makes it easier to use the Rampage one.
Yup. Clearly marketed and priced for soft top owners. That doesnā€™t include ends either.

Sponsored

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Well thatā€™s a crazy price. Guess I modify GPCA to work better. Thanks.
I've been using the GPCA tonneau cover for the past couple months (after becoming completely disgusted with Rampage's repeated delays). As far as keeping the sun off the back and keeping objects IN the back of the Jeep, the GPCA cover (combined with their windbreaker) works just fine. I would note I did modify the GPCA with grommets (since the original Velcro attachments are just not secure enough), and it works for me- pics in post #30 of this thread.

Of course, beyond keeping objects in the back I also want to keep rain out. The workaround that has worked for that has been the Mopar cab cover. If it is going to rain, I just throw the cover on and the Jeep is high and dry at the end of the day (unfortunately, most days my Jeep just takes me to work and back).

I have a Bestop, so I already have the tailgate bar, but at this point I'm avoiding Rampage on principle (plus, they probably don't have the 2 door version in production yet anyway). The JTopsUSA sunshade combined with the GPCA tonneau and the Mopar cab cover seem to be working for now. I can drive along at 90mph and even light stuff (like towels) doesn't fly out, and there's been a couple rainstorms where the cover kept things dry. Driving in the rain might be problematic, but haven't run into that situation yet.

tumblr_pxa00hff8r1tkp167o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pxa00hff8r1tkp167o1_1280.jpg

drewhenderson13

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Factory maintenance tech
I got my rampage tonneau cover in the other day and found out that it doesnā€™t come with the tailgate bar. I went ahead and ordered the Mopar tailgate bar and hooks which ended up costing more than double what the tonneau cover itself cost.

I contacted rampage and they said I would need their tailgate bar which is for a JK but I would need to order the hooks from Mopar.

There are several aftermarket JK tailgate bars available and are significantly cheaper than the Mopar JL tailgate bar. Has anyone tried it compared a JK tailgate bar to the JL?

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I received my Rampage tonneau cover Friday, and I've had it on since. It is really nice, especially for the price. I have verified that I can unattach the back part, stuff it in the tub a little, then lock the soft top down. The front of the tub is covered by the cover, back half by the top. Works out well. I also picked up some longer velcro straps to secure the top without having to remove the back of the cover. Either way should work, guess it depends on how I'm feeling at the time.

But, I finally found a use for the loops with the snap button. I know on the JK they were useful for rolling the rear window, but that doesn't really work for the JL design. Now I have an easy way to load the back with the cover still on. Takes about an extra 60 seconds, but now so much easier...
20190916_154430.jpg

Wrangler JL 360

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
There are several aftermarket JK tailgate bars available and are significantly cheaper than the Mopar JL tailgate bar. Has anyone tried it compared a JK tailgate bar to the JL?
I got the rampage coming and bought the mopar ends and have the same question of if anyone got the jk bar work in the jl ends? Iā€™m thinking a DIY project perhaps if it donā€™t work.

debandi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door Jeep Rubicon
I ordered the 2 door Windbreaker and Tonneau cover today from Rampage products.....

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Have had my rampage cover for a while and used it several times. Works perfectly and is well built. Already had the soft top so the bar was not an issue for me. Once installed and stretched, it is easier the next install.

Used it offroad with the back windows out and it kept everything dry and clean in the trunk area. Nothing blew around on the highway. Worked perfectly as designed.

debandi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door Jeep Rubicon
That's good to know. I have the best top soft top bar, so it should be fine.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
saw that "18sport" asked for some pics.....didn't see that any were posted yet.

Mine came yesterday. Ordered directly from Rampage web site last week......(unfortunately the wind-jammer was Out of Stock).

Yes - I have the JTOPS tonneau also (the magnets can be seen in the pics LOL) but am not yet won over by it. It is a quality product. sleek and seems manufactured with care but it just seems a bit on the thin (??) side if that makes sense. The Rampage cover does feel more substantial (at least it is thicker/heavier plus the velcro tabs that seal it around the roll bar is a nice back-to-the-80's look and feature).

Install does require using the tailgate bar from the soft top; as a result there is no need to remove those rear soft top corner wrap around things. It fits right over top of them nicely. My soft-top is the Bestop NX fast back (that thing kicks %#$) and it slid onto the tailgate bar they use like a glove. I did drive for a little bit at some highway speeds (65-70 MPH) with no issues. the tail gate opens/closes without any issues. The fit is like any soft top (i.e. snug if you install it correctly) and it reaches almost to the back side of the rear seats.....

IMG_1297.jpg
IMG_1296.jpg
IMG_1295.jpg
I have the rampage duster cover but only the hard top..... so I have been looking for a tailgate bar.

So no issues with there bestop tailgate bar and rampage cover fitment?

I found contradicting statements online on this.... on one website it states that the bar won't work within OEM soft top but on bestop website, it says it will....

I just want to make sure and check with you as you have first hand experience with this combo....

EDIT:

Wound up getting the Smittybilt tailgate bar and retainers 91205 for the Jeep JK and it fit with no issues....

The retainers snap on....I only have to add a small strip of velcro to help secure a corner on the rear of the tonneau cover to the tailgate bar retainer clip.

See:

What did you do TO your jeep JL today
Page 1735
Post #26024

Last edited:

Patā€™s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Hi,

Iā€™m Patrick, a newbie here!

Iā€™m about topull the trigger on the Rampage or Bestop tonneau... At this time, I only have the factory soft top during summer. I noted that most of you are running a bikini top, and only one post was not too clear about the ability to lower the soft top when this duster cover is in place - Iā€™m just looking for a way to add an extra layer of potection for stuff like the windows when stopping somewhere with the top down. Can anyone clarify any of these solutions (Rampage or Bestop) could be used in conjuction with the factory, or should it be a better solution to go with GPCA tonneau cover?

If someone has photos of Rampage or Bestop cover with the factory top in the fully retracted position would be very helpful.

Thx for the advice,

Patrick

Patā€™s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I received my Rampage tonneau cover Friday, and I've had it on since. It is really nice, especially for the price. I have verified that I can unattach the back part, stuff it in the tub a little, then lock the soft top down. The front of the tub is covered by the cover, back half by the top. Works out well. I also picked up some longer velcro straps to secure the top without having to remove the back of the cover. Either way should work, guess it depends on how I'm feeling at the time.

But, I finally found a use for the loops with the snap button. I know on the JK they were useful for rolling the rear window, but that doesn't really work for the JL design. Now I have an easy way to load the back with the cover still on. Takes about an extra 60 seconds, but now so much easier...
20190916_154430.jpg
Hi Laroo,

could you post pictures of the duster installed, top down?

thx for the help!

Patrick
Sponsored