Sponsored

Rampage Locking Hood Latches 76337 for JL, JLU, JLUR Unboxing, Instructions, Pictures

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I got these Rampage locking hood latches for the JL, JLU, JLUR 2018 and 2019 today. They were on back order for months and finally became available. Rampage part number 76337. It is made of powder coated metal. Total install was about 15 minutes. Most of the time was spent aligning them for a maximum snug fit. Pictures below. 100% satisfied. $74.99

FYI

1. The box says 2019 and up, but the description on the websites say 2018 and 2019. I have a 2018 and it fits perfectly. The website says it is for a 2 door, but it works on both the 4 and 2 door JLs. The box says it is for a 2 door and 4 door JL. Someone at Rampage needs to hire a proofreader or someone to check these things.

2. Careful with the allen wrench and don't scratch the hood. I didn't scratch anything but it did slip a couple of times so it was close.

3. Don't tighten anything all the way initially. Snug the bolts enough to hold in place, but enough to still angle the latch and catch to get them to align up. Then tighten them all the way.

4. I stored one of the keys with the locking lug nut socket. It comes with 2 keys.

5. I plan to unlock it before bringing in for service so they don't loose one of the keys - they already forgot to put the lug nut lock back in the glove compartment and it was a wild goose chase to get it back from the dealership. It is similar to the existing hood lock where it still holds the hood down tight when the key is in the open position.

6. There was no drilling required. Fit in the existing latch holes.

https://www.rampageproducts.com/rampage-76337-locking-hood-catches

hl1.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 3.49.45 PM.png

hl2.jpeg

hl3.jpeg

hl4.jpeg

hl5.jpeg

hl7.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
At what stage do you need to put on the safety glasses for this install?

Mine is coming in a few days...

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
I'm now in the market for locking hood latches. Got to the park and ride where I catch the bus this afternoon, headed home and noticed my hood bouncing. Pulled off the highway into a parking lot and sure enough, the hood latches were undone. Took a look inside the engine compartment, did not see any damage. Don't know how far someone got into trying to get into the engine compartment. But time to get locking latches.

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm now in the market for locking hood latches. Got to the park and ride where I catch the bus this afternoon, headed home and noticed my hood bouncing. Pulled off the highway into a parking lot and sure enough, the hood latches were undone. Took a look inside the engine compartment, did not see any damage. Don't know how far someone got into trying to get into the engine compartment. But time to get locking latches.
They probably couldn't find the release catch in the center under the hood after releasing the side latches and gave up (this time).

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
For obvious reasons why, I would be very concerned installing these if my JL was going to be in locales that see freezing rain, sleet, snow.

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
For obvious reasons why, I would be very concerned installing these if my JL was going to be in locales that see freezing rain, sleet, snow.
Good point. Example - Not good if the hood locks are frozen up and the battery needs to be jumped. Reason #3,493 why I live in a warmer part of the country. :)

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 8.13.07 AM.png

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They probably couldn't find the release catch in the center under the hood after releasing the side latches and gave up (this time).
Could be. I know I had to do a google search to find out how to unlatch it. Every other car I have had has a little lever you squeeze on the hood to finish unlatching. Took a while to figure out you have to push on the hook behind the grill.

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Could be. I know I had to do a google search to find out how to unlatch it. Every other car I have had has a little lever you squeeze on the hood to finish unlatching. Took a while to figure out you have to push on the hook behind the grill.
Even though I've opened up the hood dozens of times, I STILL have to fiddle with the center latch. So that in itself is a form of security. Then again, I'm not a professional vehicle thief, parts thief, or repo man. lol

JonW

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.socallx.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8, 2006 Toyota PreRunner, Researching a JL
I like the idea of these latches, but looking close at the pics posted I don't see much of a variance in tumbler cuts on the keys. Looks like any flat object inserted will probably be sufficient to unlock these.

Sponsored

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I like the idea of these latches, but looking close at the pics posted I don't see much of a variance in tumbler cuts on the keys. Looks like any flat object inserted will probably be sufficient to unlock these.
The plastic packaging in the picture is blocking the view of the cuts in the key. There are tumbler cuts, but not as much as a typical key. So I don't think a flat object could open it. But I'll admit, anyone with a pry bar could pry apart the two main sections, just like the stock one if you didn't flip bottom section off the top section. The inside pieces sizes are about the same as the original latches, so to give you an idea, check out the stock latches and imagine how a pry bar could open it.

Last edited:

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What about the lock that goes in the grill to lock the hook down? Anyone had experience with those?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
What about the lock that goes in the grill to lock the hook down? Anyone had experience with those?
I read somewhere the Mopar or Bolt hood locks are pushed back to Oct of 2019 now. I might have to order a set of locking latches like the Rampage ones, or something similar, until the Mopar one is released.

Anyone know if Rampage is the best option for now? How about the other brands that look kind of like the Rampage?

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I read somewhere the Mopar or Bolt hood locks are pushed back to Oct of 2019 now. I might have to order a set of locking latches like the Rampage ones, or something similar, until the Mopar one is released.

Anyone know if Rampage is the best option for now? How about the other brands that look kind of like the Rampage?
I ordered the Rampage ones based on my experience with their side rails and cowl light mounts I have. I'm happy with those and they have been on the Jeep through the winter (lots of rain this year) no rusting yet. The hood latches won't be here until Thrursday, I'll let you know when I get them on...

KIMG1257.JPG

KIMG1258.JPG

Rama-Lama-Ding-Dong! Got'er done. Only comes with 2 keys, not 4 like some of the YouTube videos show. Time will tell on how the finish will hold up. Important note to consider: The Clasp is metal and if you are not careful, there is a possibility of metal to metal contact when hooking the hood shut. Just don't go slapping it shut and you should be fine. Install time 15min total. Difficulty level: 1 yawn.

KIMG1266.JPG

KIMG1270.JPG

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
At what stage do you need to put on the safety glasses for this install?

Mine is coming in a few days...
Did you get and install your Rampage locking latches yet? If you did, how do you like them? Recommend them?
Sponsored