Sponsored

marsh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 392
I thought this video was going to be awesome and help make my decision between the two. Then wtf. Would it really have been too hard for both of them to hit the gas pedal at the same time? The second run the guy in the TRX "gave him a half second or so" what kind of race is this?!

Oh and not even close to sea level?

Fail. Fail. Fail.
Maybe I can help. I sold my 2016 Raptor to my nephew and ordered a TRX from a small town dealer because they were at sticker. When I was there picking it up joked with the salesman, you don't have a Wrangler 392 do you. He asked the sales manager who checked and said there is one at the rail yard waiting for them to pick up that is not sold. I bought it thinking I would flip it. DId not like several things about the TRX and ride quality in the city was terrible. I absolutely love the 392!!! Sold the TRX and have no regrets.
Sponsored

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Maybe I can help. I sold my 2016 Raptor to my nephew and ordered a TRX from a small town dealer because they were at sticker. When I was there picking it up joked with the salesman, you don't have a Wrangler 392 do you. He asked the sales manager who checked and said there is one at the rail yard waiting for them to pick up that is not sold. I bought it thinking I would flip it. DId not like several things about the TRX and ride quality in the city was terrible. I absolutely love the 392!!! Sold the TRX and have no regrets.

The 392 is really such a fun and versatile vehicle. I am going to wear mine out driving it so much. Look for any excuse to get in it and go.

Sam

StuM

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nova, Wrangler 392 XR, TRX Ign Ed, Evora GT
Have both a TRX and 392XR. Different strokes, but both put the same grin on my face.

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited / 2023 Jeep 392 XR
The Supercharger is a bit of an advantage at altitude but the TRX has multiple runs by motortrend and others at sub 4 seconds at sea level. The 392 is still running 4.5 at sea level.
Disagree, as the 392 XR runs ~4 seconds flat at sea level.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a36561292/2021-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392-drive/

And since this C&D article, several owners have reported same 0-60 runs at sea level.

I think it would be more like a neck and neck race. šŸ˜Ž

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I had always wished TFL had spent more time racing the EcoDiesel against other vehicles. For a while there it was killing everything was put up against that was comparable. And then randomly they stopped after like two videos. Sent them an email or two about it, but they never responded. Probably because the 4xe came out and every idiot was trying to race them as if an EV wasn't going to win every time against a gasser.

TFL has gotten gimmicky in recent years. I stopped watching them a while ago.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
99% of the wold sees a Jeep and a pick up truck.
If I need speed I'll get it somewhere else.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
For those who are primarily concerned with speed and drag racing, itā€™s Rivian for the win ā€” and it isnā€™t close, at altitude or sea level, with or without a head start.

TRX v. Raptor v. Rivian

I love speed, even as an old guy, but, for me, buying a Jeep for speed is like buying a lawn tractor for speed. ;)

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I own one of each. The TRX is significantly faster than the 392, but they are both great vehicles, designed for different purposes. They were purchased just a few months apart and the MSRP for both was within $200 of being the same. The TRX is much more refined than the Jeep. It is smoother, quieter, more luxurious by far, and has better suspension, handling and more power. I couldn't help but think that someone gets more for their money with the TRX than with the 392. Despite that, for me, the 392 is the one that gets driven the most. After 17 months my TRX has 4300 miles on it, and after 14 months my 392 just turned over 10,000 miles. I have had no problems with either one.

Sponsored

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I own one of each. The TRX is significantly faster than the 392, but they are both great vehicles, designed for different purposes. They were purchased just a few months apart and the MSRP for both was within $200 of being the same. The TRX is much more refined than the Jeep. It is smoother, quieter, more luxurious by far, and has better suspension, handling and more power. I couldn't help but think that someone gets more for their money with the TRX than with the 392. Despite that, for me, the 392 is the one that gets driven the most. After 17 months my TRX has 4300 miles on it, and after 14 months my 392 just turned over 10,000 miles. I have had no problems with either one.
Is yours a 392 XR? Everything Iā€™m seeing has 392 XR and TRX neck and neck at sea level. If you have the regular 392, then I agree yours is slower.

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had always wished TFL had spent more time racing the EcoDiesel against other vehicles. For a while there it was killing everything was put up against that was comparable. And then randomly they stopped after like two videos. Sent them an email or two about it, but they never responded. Probably because the 4xe came out and every idiot was trying to race them as if an EV wasn't going to win every time against a gasser.

TFL has gotten gimmicky in recent years. I stopped watching them a while ago.

4xe does not win against a 392 XR ā€œgasserā€.

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those who are primarily concerned with speed and drag racing, itā€™s Rivian for the win ā€” and it isnā€™t close, at altitude or sea level, with or without a head start.

TRX v. Raptor v. Rivian

I love speed, even as an old guy, but, for me, buying a Jeep for speed is like buying a lawn tractor for speed. ;)
Buying a TRX or a 392 XR is not ā€œjust for speedā€ šŸ˜†, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Iā€™ve owned sport cars way faster than either of these. Youā€™ll never find a sport car thatā€™s faster than a TRX that will deliver the luxurious comfort and utility of a TRXā€¦ and similarly the capability and hilarious fun of the 392XR. Personally, I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited and a 2023 392XR. The Ram is for towing and also for comfort on long out of state trips. The 392 XR is for ā€œdaily grinningā€šŸ˜¬

Itā€™s all about what youā€™re looking for in a vehicle at any particular time in your life šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‰

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
My 392 is the XR, and it is not neck and neck with my TRX
Sponsored