Ram Mount for Passenger Grab Handle

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So i wanted to throw this out there

I did this for a cell phone mount for me but somehow my wife has taken this cell phone mount from me

Parts
Sheet Metal Screw 14x2
1/4" spacer that will fit in the ram mount (Not necessary if you can find a 14x1.75 Length Sheet metal screw)
Ram-B-367-UN7U Motorcycle mount with cell phone holder

OPTIONAL
If you just want the ball without the holder or extension this would be what you would need to run RAM-B-367-U

Installation
Unscrew the stock Hex screw and install the ball with the spacer inside.

4Kl1We0.jpg

75wm4r4.jpg

R2iNnBX.jpg

DdopCDQ.jpg
Sponsored

JohnP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 Yukon Denali, 2006 F350, 2006 AMG CLK55
Occupation
Troublemaker
@anotheraznguy Thanks for sharing the idea. I duplicated your effort, but with a slightly different mount. I’m also planning on modifying it so that not only can the driver mount their phone, but the passenger has a mount as well sharing the same mounting point.

B447E5EA-B8FD-4723-9BD5-E7FBAE9F24A7.jpeg
4F067B47-1A7D-4446-8785-B5BD3F09B027.jpeg
E7DA26C9-A540-47E0-951B-1B63AC4AC4A6.jpeg

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Just went to the ram mount site to buy the $8.99 RAM-B-367-U part and they want $17.30 to ship it. Screw that. Didn't come up with any better options doing some Googling. Did I miss it. How do I get this part without getting hosed on shipping?

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
JohnP
How can you attache two devices to one mounting point?

Sponsored

JohnP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Troublemaker
JohnP
How can you attache two devices to one mounting point?
In addition to the initial tutorial, you also need to purchase the extra ball kit. Then you end up with this:

20190121_112945.jpg

As you can see, you then have a second mounting ball, so you just need another arm, and holder. Then you end up with something like this:
20190121_113027.jpg

Having said all that, I have since uninstalled the second holder, and do not recommend this method for three reasons:
  1. It didn't turn out to be very convenient for my passenger.
  2. It might interfere with the airbag / be unsafe in a collision.
  3. When the passenger went to insert their phone, they constantly messed up the position of my phone.
Instead, I've decided I want to go with something like the Vector dock:

Mount bar.JPG

Unfortunately for the JL they have changed from making a standard 1" mount bar to some sort of proprietary e-track mount bar, which also requires you to purchase their exclusive mount balls. But the bad part is that it requires the ball mounts to face straight up. A tube RAM mount (like this) can angle any direction.

ALSO, in theory any motorcycle handlebar accessory mount could work on the simple 1" tube on the outgoing model, but none will work on this new "improved" variant. I have no idea why they decided it needed to be redesigned like this, but I suppose they had reasons.

Since I own a fab shop I'm going to make my own mounting bar for my JL. I'll post an update later as to how that works out...

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
In addition to the initial tutorial, you also need to purchase the extra ball kit. Then you end up with this:

20190121_112945.jpg

As you can see, you then have a second mounting ball, so you just need another arm, and holder. Then you end up with something like this:
20190121_113027.jpg

Having said all that, I have since uninstalled the second holder, and do not recommend this method for three reasons:
  3. When the passenger went to insert their phone, they constantly messed up the position of my phone.

Mount bar.JPG

Unfortunately for the JL they have changed from making a standard 1" mount bar to some sort of proprietary e-track mount bar, which also requires you to purchase their exclusive mount balls. But the bad part is that it requires the ball mounts to face straight up. A tube RAM mount (like this) can angle any direction.

ALSO, in theory any motorcycle handlebar accessory mount could work on the simple 1" tube on the outgoing model, but none will work on this new "improved" variant. I have no idea why they decided it needed to be redesigned like this, but I suppose they had reasons.

Since I own a fab shop I'm going to make my own mounting bar for my JL. I'll post an update later as to how that works out...
Thanks @JohnP appreciate the extra info, I was thinking I would to use the second ball device with my 67d driver side mount to add a dash cam but now I am thinking to mount under the rearview mirror.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd

20190121_112945.jpg

20190121_113027.jpg

Mount bar.JPG

Those are just t-slots ram mount has a ball that will fit those or just a bunch of t-slot nuts and a threaded ball

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-354U-TRA1

https://www.mcmaster.com/t-slot-nuts

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-379U-M81208

JohnP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Troublemaker
Those are just t-slots ram mount has a ball that will fit those or just a bunch of t-slot nuts and a threaded ball
Good to know. Thanks.

I'm still building my own. Worked on it today. Will share updates when I have some...

JohnP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Troublemaker
I finished my prototype accessory mount bar on Friday. Here's what it looks like. So far I'm loving it. The prototype hovers 1" above the dash. I think I could cut it down to 1/2" and clamps and stuff could still get around it. But it probably needs a little experimentation to figure out the optimal gap. That might never happen unless some other people end up wanting one or something...
Accessory Mount Bar - Front.jpg

Accessory Mount Bar - Front 2.jpg

Accessory Mount Bar - Side.jpg

Sponsored

JohnP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Troublemaker
JohnP, I'd be very interested in that setup. I agree with lowering it a bit though.
Hey @JefDuro, I'd be happy to make you one. I literally use mine every single time I get in the Jeep! The first thing I do is mount my phone, THEN I get on with everything else. :)

If anyone wants one of these here's what I'm thinking (for those in the continental US):
  • $75 for an unpainted one - that way you can do it any color you want to match your situation.
  • $100 for one painted like mine (Rustoleum Carbon Mist). It looks really nice in the dark interior.
  • $20 flat rate shipping. Because I'm going to have to find a box, and actually ship it. :)
If you want one just PM me your shipping info, email and phone number, and I'll send you an invoice via email from my company (Texas Metal Works).
Sponsored