Raising The Passenger Seat

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
My wife is short and likes the driver pump up for the seat.
The passenger side she feels she sits so low.
Has anyone tried to raise or install a pump up for the passenger seat.
Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
The passenger seat has a pump handle on it already, doesn't it?

EDITED:

I was wrong... I just checked and it turns out that it does not have the handle to pump the seat up or down on the passenger side.

Last edited:

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
0348BE1E-4519-40C9-9CE9-812B1E07D6A4.jpeg
:cwl::swear:
My wife is short and likes the driver pump up for the seat.
The passenger side she feels she sits so low.
Has anyone tried to raise or install a pump up for the passenger seat.
LOL. Same problem here. She has complained about it for a few months and we were driving home tonight and she brought it up again. She took this photo while I was driving. :lipssealed:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
:cwl::swear:
LOL. Same problem here. She has complained about it for a few months and we were driving home tonight and she brought it up again. She took this photo while I was driving. :lipssealed:
That's not *that* bad... I have worse forward visibility sitting in a Cessna 172 if it doesn't have the adjustable front seat where you use a manual crank to slowly raise the seat. And a Cessna O-2 Skymaster? LMAO... I need to crank that one all the way up to be able to see over the panel. The examiner that I had for my check ride many years ago was so short that even in a Cessna 150, he had to carry a 4" thick foam "booster" so that he could see over its panel. The 150 and 152 have a low enough panel that I don't have to do any adjustments on it. They're not as good as the various Grumman models though (e.g. AA1x, AA5x). Those planes have *great* forward visibility.

You might want to suggest that your wife get one of the aviation booster pads...

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/cata...dzJpn_GsOY1XzdBwzw0tIqXYXO0vXgl8aAm3SEALw_wcB

They make them for cars also and they are probably cheaper...

quality-Memory-Foam-Non-slip-Cushion-Pad-Inventories-Adjustable-Car-Seat-Cushions-Adult-Car-Seat.jpg

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica
That's not *that* bad... I have worse forward visibility sitting in a Cessna 172 if it doesn't have the adjustable front seat where you use a manual crank to slowly raise the seat. And a Cessna O-2 Skymaster? LMAO... I need to crank that one all the way up to be able to see over the panel. The examiner that I had for my check ride many years ago was so short that even in a Cessna 150, he had to carry a 4" thick foam "booster" so that he could see over its panel. The 150 and 152 have a low enough panel that I don't have to do any adjustments on it. They're not as good as the various Grumman models though (e.g. AA1x, AA5x). Those planes have *great* forward visibility.

You might want to suggest that your wife get one of the aviation booster pads...

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/cata...dzJpn_GsOY1XzdBwzw0tIqXYXO0vXgl8aAm3SEALw_wcB

They make them for cars also and they are probably cheaper...

quality-Memory-Foam-Non-slip-Cushion-Pad-Inventories-Adjustable-Car-Seat-Cushions-Adult-Car-Seat.jpg
She used to use on of those in my truck.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
She used to use on of those in my truck.
Unfortunately, the seats don't bolt flat to the floor, so adding a common lift is not that easy. It would be nice for a lot of people who are tall or shor if they just had the seat bolt flat to the floor and then came with a standard height lifting block for most people. Tall people could remove the lifting block to get the seat closer to the floor and short people could just add a taller lifting block.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica
Unfortunately, the seats don't bolt flat to the floor, so adding a common lift is not that easy. It would be nice for a lot of people who are tall or shor if they just had the seat bolt flat to the floor and then came with a standard height lifting block for most people. Tall people could remove the lifting block to get the seat closer to the floor and short people could just add a taller lifting block.
Or they should have put the height adjustment lever on the passenger side like the one on the driver side. They probably have one since it can probably be purchased in a right side driver like in Europe or for US Mail.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Or they should have put the height adjustment lever on the passenger side like the one on the driver side. They probably have one since it can probably be purchased in a right side driver like in Europe or for US Mail.
That might be good enough for the shorter folks out there, but from what I've gathered, even with the seat at its lowest level, some of the taller guys out there have a problem with the current JLs.

Not that it makes a difference to *me* since I fall within the norms of "average" height as far as FCA is apparently concerned, but I'm just commenting from an engineering perspective...

Now, the Mazda Miata retractable hardtop (RF) is a completely different story for me. If I try to get in it, the roof hits me right above my right ear. To get in it, I have to contort my body in a manner that this old body just does not want to contort these days. It's fun to drive though and that red color that they offer sure looks nice... :)

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
[/QUOTE]

;)At any height there is simply no way I could use that seat in its current orientation! I mean I could see where it wouldn't matter to your wife, but you're going to have to spin that bad boy 180 degrees in order for me to have room for...…

let's just say.....

"things";)

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

;)At any height there is simply no way I could use that seat in its current orientation! I mean I could see where it wouldn't matter to your wife, but you're going to have to spin that bad boy 180 degrees in order for me to have room for...…

let's just say.....

"things";)
Understandable... I think the idea of the portion in the back though is to take pressure off of you tail bone... Supposedly, that makes a difference... On the other hand, that portion in the front looks maybe a bit more uncomfortable that just a flat seat. Kind of reminds of a horse saddle in the front and having spent many hours in the saddle, I can say that it is only remotely comfortable for your 'nads if you have tight fitting jeans and are NOT wearing boxers. I made the mistake ONCE of wearing somewhat loose fitting fatigues. I learned my lesson VERY quickly. When the horse is trotting along and the 'nads have room to shift such that they are between you and the saddle, and you come down on them, you definitely remember it and don't do that again... :(

apprweb

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley, Toyota, Mercedes, Porsche, Ford
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
upload_2018-11-2_17-2-49.png

This is the export version of the "drivers seat" for a RH drive -