Raise Spare?

Brock9281

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I added 35s on my JLUR with steel bumpers. The spare is very slightly rubbing against the bumper when opening. Is there a way to have spare raised?

50AC354C-5F7B-4E8F-828E-4F03898E7248.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Brock9281

Brock9281

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Is there enough wire for 3rd brake light to move up 3-4”?

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
A more flexible, albeit more expensive, alternative is the Teraflex Alpha HD Adjustable Spare Tire Mount Kit w/ Brake Light & Camera Mounts. It's not only height adjustable, but adjustable for wheel offset, so you can snug your spare tire against the rear gate bump stops.

If you use the simpler, non-adjustable relocation brackets and need longer bump stops, the JK had longer ones that fit the JL, too.

Sponsored

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
With 35s on there and then raising the spare, you may want to look at a tailgate reinforcement kit.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Is there enough wire for 3rd brake light to move up 3-4”?
Rough Country is all you'll need. Yes there is enough wire to move the light. Most likely no you don't need to reenforce the tailgate.

RC is a simple install and the wiring is a cake walk.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I added 35s on my JLUR with steel bumpers. The spare is very slightly rubbing against the bumper when opening.
"Slightly rubbing". I don't think that is a problem. The bumper can help support the weight of the spare.

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
Mine did the same thing and you can either leave it as is and let the bumper help support the tire or as stated earlier for an inexpensive route go with Rough Country’s tailgate reinforcement tailgate piece and relocation bracket. I ultimately went this route due to changing my bumper. There is enough wire and this option worked out great without breaking my account.

JuzaMe

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vmcrugbychairs.com
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ, 2005 Duramax, 2022 JLURD(ordered 1/17/22)
Occupation
Working on being a burden to my children.
As Jeepney Johnny mentioned, the Tereflex unit is adjustable from stock size to 37" tires along with adjustable depth to match your wheel offset. I installed mine yesterday and I call tell you that it's a stout unit. It relocates the brake light to a quick release bracket that slides on and off the camera snout. It's a little pricey but very well designed and constructed.
Only thing additional you'll need is 16" or so of flexible wiring housing to protect the loose wiring.
Be sure you have a T8 torx and 1.5mm hex driver fot the tiny camera screws.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brock9281

Brock9281

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Mine did the same thing and you can either leave it as is and let the bumper help support the tire or as stated earlier for an inexpensive route go with Rough Country’s tailgate reinforcement tailgate piece and relocation bracket. I ultimately went this route due to changing my bumper. There is enough wire and this option worked out great without breaking my account.
Think I would be good with just the RC Relocation Bracket? This JL will not see much off-road. Picture of yours? How high does the bracket raise as I really only need an inch

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

As Jeepney Johnny mentioned, the Tereflex unit is adjustable from stock size to 37" tires along with adjustable depth to match your wheel offset. I installed mine yesterday and I call tell you that it's a stout unit. It relocates the brake light to a quick release bracket that slides on and off the camera snout. It's a little pricey but very well designed and constructed.
Only thing additional you'll need is 16" or so of flexible wiring housing to protect the loose wiring.
Be sure you have a T8 torx and 1.5mm hex driver fot the tiny camera screws.
I have my eye on the Teraflex unit with the hinge replacement as well. They actually advertise up to a 40” tire with the full combo!

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
Sorry don’t have a picture readily available of it but definitely will work. It will raise it over an inch. I could fit a 37 on it and still have the clearance I need. Yeah if you don’t plan on doing a lot of off road stuff the raise bracket will work perfect

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Another vote for the Teraflex Alpha HD adjustable carrier. It's the option that fully and properly supports the spare. Those relocation brackets only trade one issue with another. They will help clear the bumper, but also cantilever the weight of the spare further away from the tailgate, which amplifies the stress on the tailgate. After spending good money on a nice set of wheels and 35's, is another $300ish to properly support them really that big of a deal?

JuzaMe

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vmcrugbychairs.com
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ, 2005 Duramax, 2022 JLURD(ordered 1/17/22)
Occupation
Working on being a burden to my children.
One comment I'll add regarding the Teraflex unit, in order to remove your spare, you must first loosen the cam lock thumb lever to allow removal of the brake light, which also requires disconnecting the electrical connector from the bottom of the light which isn't ideal. I am planning on adding a small disconnect plug in the wiring that will tuck into the wiring opening in the camera snout.
Sponsored