First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Student
Not a post I wanted to make this week but I came here for some advice, being my first major accident in my seven years of driving

During the rains last night, I ended up being involved in a collision with a Grand Cherokee. I end finals this Weds and plan to bring the Jeep back home to NJ.

Anything I should watch out for during the 500 mile trek back home with a deployed airbag and stuck seat belt? I plan to switch to the spare because there are chunks missing out of my right front tire. The bumper ended up bending and the removable ends were pressing against the tire and the firefighters pulled it back out from the tire.

Does anyone have any reputable shops they recommend in the NJ/Eastern PA/NYC area?

And what is the likelihood that this will be totaled out? I checked Copart and the forums and there are a number of JLs with similar damage there. :(

As always, thanks for all your help and responses

Updated 5/6: Got in contact with insurance and they're sending an appraiser sometime this week to my school address and will send it back to NJ if it needs to be repaired.

Was walking out of the house today and noticed that the rear bumpers definitely are misaligned

NS3QlHj.jpg

ooZhzGq.jpg

5oyspVX.jpg

o8UNz1d.jpg

7ETVBvz.jpg

BthakAk.jpg

4DddMJZ.jpg

KreJigq.jpg

S0GtjBR.jpg

vfg474p.jpg

IMG_1125.jpeg

IMG_1127.jpeg

IMG_1128.jpeg

IMG_1129.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Huskywrangler

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
That really sucks man any injuries?. Does your insurance not offer rental? Totally wouldn’t drive it around like that...

wordslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grand cherokee
I wouldn't drive that thing to the demolition derby. Let the pros handle it from here on out.

I don't think it looks totaled out, but then again, I'm not an expert. I'm not even a good forum poster. I do spell well and have decent grammar skills, so I have that going for me. If you need any advice on the wording/spelling of a custom sticker or something, I'm your Huckleberry.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Not a post I wanted to make this week but I came here for some advice, being my first major accident in my seven years of driving

During the rains last night, I ended up being involved in a collision with a Grand Cherokee. I end finals this Weds and plan to bring the Jeep back home to NJ.

Anything I should watch out for during the 500 mile trek back home with a deployed airbag and stuck seat belt? I plan to switch to the spare because there are chunks missing out of my right front tire. The bumper ended up bending and the removable ends were pressing against the tire and the firefighters pulled it back out from the tire.

Does anyone have any reputable shops they recommend in the NJ/Eastern PA/NYC area?

And what is the likelihood that this will be totaled out? I checked Copart and the forums and there are a number of JLs with similar damage there. :(

As always, thanks for all your help and responses

NS3QlHj.jpg

ooZhzGq.jpg

5oyspVX.jpg

o8UNz1d.jpg

7ETVBvz.jpg

BthakAk.jpg

4DddMJZ.jpg

KreJigq.jpg

S0GtjBR.jpg

vfg474p.jpg
So sorry for your accident!!! My first thought is for your health. Are you injured? I urge you to see a chiropractor and get checked. No other profession can assess and correct the biomechanical changes that may have occurred in your accident. Also, if the other driver is at fault, be sure and file a loss of value claim to the 3rd party (the persons insurance that hit you). If after you get your JL fixed, and hopefully it looks new again, it has been damaged and repaired. Now it has a diminished value.

Best of luck to you!

Sponsored

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Don’t drive it. Call insurance and they’ll take over. If you get in another accident with no airbag and seatbelt. You may not be so lucky next time.

OP
OP

marv1294

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Student
That really sucks man any injuries?. Does your insurance not offer rental? Totally wouldn’t drive it around like that...
Just a lil airbag burn on my arm, just looks like a red birthmark, thanks for asking

Insurance does, but since it happened on a Saturday, we can't get in contact with them until Monday. To add, I would need to get the Jeep home to NJ somehow as I'm done with the semester in school and won't be back in WV until classes start up again

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Glad to know your not hurt. Sucks to be in an accident. I wouldn’t drive it. Best bet is to let your insurance company take care of it. You could always pick it up after it’s repaired.

Sol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2020 JL Willys
Hope everyone is OK.

Since you’re asking for advice: Do not drive it with compromised safety systems (airbag & seatbelt) and possibly damaged front axle components. Talk nicely to and cooperate with the insurance person handling your claim (disclaimer: my daughter is in the claims end of the insurance business). Let your insurance do their job to worry about getting your Jeep repaired/replaced. Pick up a rental car, don’t put yourself at risk.

Guess over the internet: You are shook up a bit and want to keep costs of the insurance claim minimal because you’re at fault (source of guess: damage on your front/their rear). Who’s at fault for an accident shouldn’t affect how the claim proceeds or what you are due under your policy.

Sponsored

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Here’s another way to think of it.

How much worse do you think it would have been if your airbag and/or your seatbelt didn’t work? Because if it happened again on your drive home that would be the situation you’re in.

Sorry that happened, but glad your okay. Cars can be replaced, but people can’t! I personally wouldn’t drive it.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Just a lil airbag burn on my arm, just looks like a red birthmark, thanks for asking

Insurance does, but since it happened on a Saturday, we can't get in contact with them until Monday. To add, I would need to get the Jeep home to NJ somehow as I'm done with the semester in school and won't be back in WV until classes start up again
Accidents of this kind may cause injuries that are not readily apparent. I would not assume you only have a burn. I was rear ended in a TJ and thought I was just a little sore it was quite awhile before I realized I had whiplash. Needed months of PT to be able to turn my head fully...

Since the accident was severe enough to deploy the air bag I would get yourself checked out at the hospital and then fly home or rent another vehicle after your cleared. Your insurance should be able to take care of your vehicle I would not risk driving it...I also wonder if your insurance would allow/cover you driving it in that condition.

Just my two cents.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Just cut the airbag off, and do a little test drive, around the area. If everything handles normally, drive it home. Just be on the lookout for strange noises, or steering issues. . Really people, how did you ever survive, without airbags, back in the days. I remember when we didn't have to use seatbelts, and we got to ride in the bed of trucks.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Just cut the airbag off, and do a little test drive, around the area. If everything handles normally, drive it home. Just be on the lookout for strange noises, or steering issues. . Really people, how did you ever survive, without airbags, back in the days. I remember when we didn't have to use seatbelts, and we got to ride in the bed of trucks.
Me too but I also remember when dumb fucks weren't playing with cell phones. Sure, drive it that way and have a similar accident and I guarantee you that your insurance/police/other party will not be so forgiving.

My opinion, let your insurance deal with it. Unless you have some fly by night coverage, they can work it out so you get it back to your permanent address. What do you think people do when they have accidents when on vacation? Their insurance takes care of it.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t drive it. Call insurance and they’ll take over. If you get in another accident with no airbag and seatbelt. You may not be so lucky next time.
THIS!!!
Sponsored