thadius65

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
What kind of clips did you get attached to the straps? When I bought one I was thinking I was going to get the high quality black nylon / metal ones, but got the extremely cheap metal ones instead.
Not having anything to compare to, here is a picture of what I got. Seems solid?

20200403_111016.jpg
Sponsored

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
That's it! I have no idea why mine were so cheap and crummy, I ordered off of their website. Clearly NOT ideal to have this metal flinging around scratching paint up. I contacted customer support several times but got absolute no responses. I ordered replacement clips and replaced them all myself. Super annoying, cool product with high quality, major points lost for customer service.

IMG_9552.jpeg

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I haven't been able to find anything online that works exactly how I want it to for this situation. This definitely comes close, but I am trying to convince my mom to start making some and selling them. Once quarantine is over and she can come visit and measure my Jeep I plan to see if she can sew something up.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
That's it! I have no idea why mine were so cheap and crummy, I ordered off of their website. Clearly NOT ideal to have this metal flinging around scratching paint up. I contacted customer support several times but got absolute no responses. I ordered replacement clips and replaced them all myself. Super annoying, cool product with high quality, major points lost for customer service.

IMG_9552.jpeg
Yeah, something is not right there. Their clips are one of their selling points. Hard to believe those came on one ordered directly from Rain Gear. Maybe they ran out of the usual clips and supplied those for a bit to keep production going? Still hard to believe, I would have guessed it was a knock-off...

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting this about the rain gear covers. I just want a quick back up if it rains but want to keep the soft top on, mostly in the down position. The "cat thing" is also a problem! So it looks like the "trail cover" does not fit with the soft top down. Do we know if the "half cover" will go over the soft top in the down position? It looks like they changed the plating spec on the clips or had a hard time getting the old ones from China. It also sounds like they used to use the plastic ones.

Over all, are you guys happy with these covers? They are a little more expensive but I do not mind paying extra for extra quality.

Sponsored

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Thanks for posting this about the rain gear covers. I just want a quick back up if it rains but want to keep the soft top on, mostly in the down position. The "cat thing" is also a problem! So it looks like the "trail cover" does not fit with the soft top down. Do we know if the "half cover" will go over the soft top in the down position? It looks like they changed the plating spec on the clips or had a hard time getting the old ones from China.

Over all, are you guys happy with these covers? They are a little more expensive but I do not mind paying extra for extra quality.
I've got the "half" coming, but hasn't arrived yet. I'll let you know right away as soon as it shows up. You and I are in the exact same use case (minus the cat lol), so feel free to use me as a guinea pig.

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Nick, it sounds like they do not reply to emails. I thinking the "half" also. The extra material in the back is ok for when the top is down. Looks like it is good to go in safari.

Looking forward to hearing how yours works out. I hope it is exactly what you wanted! Good luck!

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I know that the half cover is designed for situations when the hard or soft top is on to cover when the doors are off, but will this same half cover work when the hard or soft top is not on?

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Half cover will work with the top down. The half cover just has a little more material in the rear and a little more room around the roll bars. One pic is with the soft top down and the other in Safari mode. If the soft top was not installed, you would just have extra material in the back.

A6164922-434A-4A73-8AE5-99891AD90F5F.jpeg

8A10E216-1111-42C5-B1B4-31BD3DC75B43.jpeg

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Cool, thanks Garry! I would think the extra material on the half cover for the 4 door would be about the same extra material on the 2 door half cover. Thanks again!

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Half cover will work with the top down. The half cover just has a little more material in the rear and a little more room around the roll bars. One pic is with the soft top down and the other in Safari mode. If the soft top was not installed, you would just have extra material in the back.

A6164922-434A-4A73-8AE5-99891AD90F5F.jpeg

8A10E216-1111-42C5-B1B4-31BD3DC75B43.jpeg
Excellent. Are you able to get into the driver’s seat with the half cover on so you can wait out the rain? If yes, that would be helpful if caught in the rain in the middle of the woods, beach or other place that doesn’t have cover.

Last edited:

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Excellent. Are you able to get into the driver’s seat with the half cover on so you can wait out the rain? If yes, that would be helpful if caught in the rain in the middle of the woods, beach or other place that doesn’t have cover.
You can, but to get in, you would have to unfasten the side straps and lift up the side of the cover and get in. You could not refasten the straps. As long as the wind was not bad, it would be no problem.

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Were there any discounts available? I think we are going to order a half cover.

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I looked and did not find any discounts. I went ahead and ordered the half cover. Maybe they can take the full price profits and improve their email communications! ;) Their web site said they were working a limited schedule and I don't want to wait too long. Hot weather will be here sooner than later. I did get a spiderweb shade and had 2 sunny warm days to find out it works I will post some 2dr pictures when the rain gear half top comes in. Thanks men and stay safe. I think I am going to go social distance and ride around in the jeep!
Sponsored