Sponsored

Radio shutting off and coming back on??

elduderino83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0l
Link to the thread below. 37 pages and counting. lots of JL owners have experienced it. I’m sure there’s a STAR case or two out there on it, but last I read there was no definitive solution from Jeep.

I believe a Ram owner with the 8.4 Uconnect was able to resolve the issue by replacing his backup camera of all things. Dealer will likely want to replace the radio, but that oddly doesn’t seem to fix it.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/audio-cutting-in-and-out.16942/
My stereo randomly reboots as well. Your posted thread is about the audio cutting out in cold weather. I read some of the thread and believe my situation as well as the OPs is very different.
Sponsored

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Mine hasn't shut off and rebooted but on one drive it would randomly bring up the volume screen. Didn't change volume or anything just show the volume bar and then go back to the standard radio screen. Did that several times until I reached destination. On restart and ever since hasn't happened again. I'm new to Jeep, are having Gremlins part of the experience?
Yes, you should definitely get used to them. Avoid spilling water.

REDDRUBI2020

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 dodge dakota 5.9 R/T , 2020 Rubicon
Occupation
State Crimelab Tech
Has anyone had any issues with the Radio just shutting down, and then re-booting? This has happened about 6-10 times.
just recheck all the fuese and push them all down until they click undo the (- ) battery cable hook back up should fix it

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Last week my radio did it, only once though, and not since.

Yesterday I got in and started my Jeep, radio came on, had sound, but had no controls and none of the climate controls worked or were lit (A/C button should have been lit and the ESS should have eventually lit up from the TAZER)

This morning my wife sent me a text telling me her Challenger is showing the time as 1 hour behind.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Since it hasn't been mentioned here yet, as a quick potential fix, anyone with this issue should pop the hood and open the fuse box. Then check that every fuse and relay is fully seated. JLs are known to leave the factory with loose fuses and relays, which causes all types of weird electrical issues.

Last edited:

Sponsored

elduderino83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0l
Just happened to me 2 days in a row. Usually it's less frequent. I think my JL knows I've been talking about it on here...

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I had mine rebooting multiple times a day, then go weeks w/out a reboot. Kept telling the dealer about it, they wouldn’t do anything, kept saying “a fix is coming”.

Then it crashed and wouldn’t reboot (eventually it did, days later). Radio was replaced, I still get a random reboot, but now it’s maybe once a month or two.

Aspaztikcolon

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I too have this issue about every other day. I chocked it up to the tazer. A while back my back up cam either gave me a blue screen or a frozen image. I just had my tire carrier put on and figured something got damage. After hours of tracing back wiring and whatever diagnostic i could think of nothing fixed it. About to call the dealer to see if they could look at it, and noticed, my rear locker is engaged? Tried for 30 minutes trying to get it unlocked, and nothing. "Ok, i have to get this to Jeep now!" But before i left, to cover my ass, i unmarried the tazer. WTF?! EVERYTHING went back to normal. So then i wrote to tazer explaining this. To which their reply was "we have never heard of this happening. What ver are you running?" It came with 11.1.0 , I had updated to 11.1.4. Then he immediately blamed it on me not having flashed 11.1.5(which was current at the time)and that would fix all my troubles even though the patch notes say nothing about fixing those issues.
Anyway, sorry for the rant but i would bet that tazers cause more issues than they know(however handy tools they are). Try taking it out, not umarrying, and see if the problem fixes itself

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

I too have this issue about every other day. I chocked it up to the tazer. A while back my back up cam either gave me a blue screen or a frozen image. I just had my tire carrier put on and figured something got damage. After hours of tracing back wiring and whatever diagnostic i could think of nothing fixed it. About to call the dealer to see if they could look at it, and noticed, my rear locker is engaged? Tried for 30 minutes trying to get it unlocked, and nothing. "Ok, i have to get this to Jeep now!" But before i left, to cover my ass, i unmarried the tazer. WTF?! EVERYTHING went back to normal. So then i wrote to tazer explaining this. To which their reply was "we have never heard of this happening. What ver are you running?" It came with 11.1.0 , I had updated to 11.1.4. Then he immediately blamed it on me not having flashed 11.1.5(which was current at the time)and that would fix all my troubles even though the patch notes say nothing about fixing those issues.
Anyway, sorry for the rant but i would bet that tazers cause more issues than they know(however handy tools they are). Try taking it out, not umarrying, and see if the problem fixes itself
While I don’t want to discount your issues, the symptoms (Except for the lockers) were all issues that earlier versions of the radio firmware experienced in the wrangler and the RAMs with this hardware. I’ve had random reboots with, and without the Tazer since my radio was replaced. Seems to happen most often if I’ve had the engine off for a brief time/running on aux and restarting in a 1-2 minute window.

It is way more stable than my original radio.

Aspaztikcolon

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
While I don’t want to discount your issues, the symptoms (Except for the lockers) were all issues that earlier versions of the radio firmware experienced in the wrangler and the RAMs with this hardware. I’ve had random reboots with, and without the Tazer since my radio was replaced. Seems to happen most often if I’ve had the engine off for a brief time/running on aux and restarting in a 1-2 minute window.

It is way more stable than my original radio.
Good to know. My jl is the only fiat in the fam, didn't know this is kind of a company wide issue

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that everyone is experiencing this concerns. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to assist you.

Alison
JeepCares

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
As mentioned previously, mine rebooted plus all the dash lights/readings blacked out the first day of ownership in April 2019. This morning while driving the radio went dark and rebooted for the first since.

No need to take it a dealer. It doesn't throw a code and since it's the 2nd time in 11 months it won't be something they can reproduce. They'd just keep the jeep for a day then shrug their shoulders since a code doesn't tell them what part to replace.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

I haven’t seen any reports of new updates, but mine has been rebooting more frequently again. Not anything like my original radio did, but I’ve noticed it’s been more frequent again.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I haven’t seen any reports of new updates, but mine has been rebooting more frequently again. Not anything like my original radio did, but I’ve noticed it’s been more frequent again.
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
JeepCares
Sponsored