Radio screen locked up and not turning back on

Kube86

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport
So, driving from Indiana to Florida for vacation, once I crossed the Florida border, my screen locked up an then turned off. I can't get it to turn back on, Checked the fuse for the radio and for the usb ports also, Noticed that they weren't charging.
Now I am in the local Jeep dealer now in the waiting room for them to see what is wrong. Anyone have this issue?

Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kube86

Kube86

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, the dealership here in Florida, told me it would take over a month to get a new radio delivered. So now I have to drive 18 hours back home with no radio or rearview camera that works., They said thereā€™s nothing they can do. And thereā€™s no way for them to get one on order and have it delivered to the dealership where I live.

OP
OP
Kube86

Kube86

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So... I went to another Jeep dealer in Florida. They came out with the same solution. Have to order a new radio. This dealer told me that it could take up to 6 months to get a new screen. @JeepCares hope you can help me!

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

So, driving from Indiana to Florida for vacation, once I crossed the Florida border, my screen locked up an then turned off. I can't get it to turn back on, Checked the fuse for the radio and for the usb ports also, Noticed that they weren't charging.
Now I am in the local Jeep dealer now in the waiting room for them to see what is wrong. Anyone have this issue?

Thanks.
This happened to me last June or July. System hung for a couple of days and came back normally. Dealership replaced it anyway. Iā€™d been having blue screens and random lockups before that, but nothing that serious.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I had some uconnect issues that the dealer couldn't figure out. I went through the fusebox and pulled every single fuse that even remotely related to radio/entertainment/USB/etc and waited 5-10 min. Plugged them back in and all was well. Sounds like you might have tried this already but I'd have another go and yank every single relevant fuse and leave them all out for a few mins.

I forget exactly which ones as I haven't had issues in awhile but if you flip the fusebox cover over there should be a good 4-5 of them that relate to the radio and USB.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Wifeā€™s Jeep had the blue screen of death today but came back after sitting awhile. I swear FCA hired some Winders engineers!

A2A328EC-BBCC-4230-9AD2-2BB1D88413CE.jpeg

Gregj

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I had the compass in my JLR telling me incorrect directions or just a dash instead of a direction. Radio replaced under warranty.

Itā€™s disconcerting that the fix so often seems to be to replace the whole thing.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I had the compass in my JLR telling me incorrect directions or just a dash instead of a direction. Radio replaced under warranty.

Itā€™s disconcerting that the fix so often seems to be to replace the whole thing.
The hardware for UCONNECT 4 is the bare minimums to run the stack. They are forcing a hardware upgrade to run UConnect 5. Of course, that means ā€œbuy a new carā€.

The UI is fantastic, and reponsive, the code and QA is horrible.

Last edited:

IanDesenberg

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL

Thanks.
I have a 2018 JL and for some reason whenever Im playing music through bluetooth and my girlfriend is charging her phone through the usb port, my screen locks up and then shuts off. The good thing is it reboots right back but I just have to reset my time. But very frustrating when I cant do both. It happens everytime I am doing both.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Unfortunately, there is no fuse to truly kill power to the radio. You can pull the fuses to kill power to the sub or the USB ports, but not the UConnect unit itself.

I haven't had quite the issues you guys have had, but I have had situations where I couldn't get any power to the USB ports and the radio software essentially crashed. I could use navigation and HVAC controls, but volume, source select, nor BT would work. There are situations where reseating the F11 fuse will restore dead USB ports, but if the UConnect radio software itself takes a massive shit, fuses won't matter.

You can try to physically disconnect power to the UConnect by taking a small portion of your dash apart. Tedious, yes, but not difficult. Keep it unplugged for a short while, plug it back in, and see what happens.

Another thing to try is a soft reset that essentially reboots the UConnect unit. Even when your Jeep is off, UConnect is still powered on and active. If the unit has taken a dump, holding the VR and Phone buttons together for 30 seconds while the Jeep is in ACC will force the unit to restart. Sometimes it'll do it instantly, sometimes it actually takes a few minutes for the reset to occur. I've actually managed to resolve more of the serious crashes with a simple soft reset than I have messing with fuses.

I can't promise this fixes anything, but it's certainly something to try and is often overlooked by the dealership. Regardless of such, if your radio keeps failing, they definitely need to replace it.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
That'd probably work, too.

I'm not entirely positive, but I've questioned if killing power to the UConnect actually resets anything when it gets plugged back in instead of keeping the radio in some kind of save state that it resumes from once power is restored. I only mention this because when I was trying to troubleshoot GPS issues on mine, I killed the power both ways before determining the issue was with the aircard.

Both unplugging the unit and disconnecting the batteries didn't totally reset the device as I had expected (where the radio has no brand-identifier on it, but just the UConnect logo and a generic blue UI theme). Plugging it back in still retained my selected theme and the last position and file of the MP3 it was playing before I killed the power. When I did the soft reset, that's when all my settings were truly cleared, theme reset, and last MP3 file/position wiped. The soft reset felt more like an actual reset than killing the power.

Again, just my experience and yours may differ.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Wifeā€™s Jeep had the blue screen of death today but came back after sitting awhile. I swear FCA hired some Winders engineers!

Jeep Wrangler JL Radio screen locked up and not turning back on A2A328EC-BBCC-4230-9AD2-2BB1D88413CE

Gregj
I have a 2018 JL and for some reason whenever Im playing music through bluetooth and my girlfriend is charging her phone through the usb port, my screen locks up and then shuts off. The good thing is it reboots right back but I just have to reset my time. But very frustrating when I cant do both. It happens everytime I am doing both.
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
JeepCares
Sponsored