Sponsored

Radio Reception Issues

Jerpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Ever since I've had my Jeep my only gripe has been with loss of radio reception anytime I drive under an overpass or enter a parking structure. This was never an issue in any previous vehicle I've owned. Is there anything that I can add/mod to combat this problem?

I wasn't able to find any other threads on this, so if it has been addressed elsewhere I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Ever since I've had my Jeep my only gripe has been with loss of radio reception anytime I drive under an overpass or enter a parking structure. This was never an issue in any previous vehicle I've owned. Is there anything that I can add/mod to combat this problem?

I wasn't able to find any other threads on this, so if it has been addressed elsewhere I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
Radio or Sirius? Sirius is, for all intents and purposes, line of sight. Radio however, you shouldn't be losing signal that quickly from going under an over pass. To be honest, even in underground parking, unless you're talking Cheyenne Mountain, it should keep a signal.

OP
OP
Jerpy

Jerpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Radio or Sirius? Sirius is, for all intents and purposes, line of sight. Radio however, you shouldn't be losing signal that quickly from going under an over pass. To be honest, even in underground parking, unless you're talking Cheyenne Mountain, it should keep a signal.
I'm aware of the issue with satellite radio, but I'm talking about regular AM/FM.

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Stock antenna or stubby?

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
I'm aware of the issue with satellite radio, but I'm talking about regular AM/FM.
Strange, I don't think this is a common issue. My Jeep with a stock antenna can still get signal two underground parking levels down.

Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Even w/ a stubby antenna, my AM/FM reception is still decent.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

First of all, if you have a stubby antenna your ability to tune in weak stations will be significantly compromised. That's regardless of how good the the stubby antenna is (it's a matter of physics). The first place you'd notice that is in the situations you describe.

If you don't have a stubby antenna and you're not way out in the boonies, it sounds like a bad antenna connection. Take your antenna off and make sure the connection is clean. If it's not that then it may be the cable between the antenna and radio, in which case you're probably best off taking it to a dealer for warrantee repair.

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

It's always been common to lose AM when under an overpass or a parking garage, FM generally still works. Satellite is the same, as above, needs line of sight to the south sky.

Bswift60

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I have a 2018 JL with the same type issue. On AM or FM, it sounds like it's not picking up the stations well and volume will not go up. Turn it all off and back on, will sometimes fix it. This is very intermittent, but very anoying. Does not happen when using bluetooth or usb. Just the AM/FM. Replaced antenna, mout and cable, Nothing helps. Maybe there's an issue with the unit itself?
Sponsored