Rack Installation Hole Was Off

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Hello! I finished the installation of my RhinoRack yesterday but ran into an issue with the very last hole that I drilled. It's the hole that is on the drivers side front, right behind the freedom tops and the bolt to an interior casting which goes through the roll bar.

When I drilled it, my rhino hardware casting piece wasn't flush against the side of the roof, causing the hole to be somewhere about a quarter to 1/8" off. I ended up moving that hardware casting piece and using a file to shave a little bit more so that it's properly mounted flush. So now the hole looks kind of like a figure 8 instead of an 'O'. Mind you, this is one of the holes where that spacer bushing goes through.

I ended up filling in part of it with some JB Weld's "WaterWeld" that I had laying around and put a decent dollop of butyl on it.

I was wondering what everybody's opinion is of this. Do you think this is sufficient, structurally? I'm not as worried about water getting in, but more of having the caster hardware piece move around because now it's more of an elongated hole. Thanks!
Sponsored

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
You’re talking about a hole you drilled in the hard top, right? The fiberglass of the roof is just a pass-through; the rack is structurally mounted to the roll bar. So long as it’s attached tight and secure, you won’t have any issues structurally. Even if the hardware wallows out the hole a bit through normal driving shimmies and shakes, the worst outcome would be a leak path that you’d need to seal up again with some more butyl.

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’re talking about a hole you drilled in the hard top, right? The fiberglass of the roof is just a pass-through; the rack is structurally mounted to the roll bar. So long as it’s attached tight and secure, you won’t have any issues structurally. Even if the hardware wallows out the hole a bit through normal driving shimmies and shakes, the worst outcome would be a leak path that you’d need to seal up again with some more butyl.
Thanks for the reply and information. Yes, you are correct, it was the hole I drilled through the hard top. As you put it, I was thinking that wallowing the hole would cause the rack to jiggle and fail...or have something break off. As you mentioned, everything is attached tight and bolted down. I was thinking of pulling the bolt and using some loctite on it just to be sure. Maybe that's overkill. :)

I won't worry about it then and just continue driving on. As you said, worst case, I can just put more butyl on. I'm sure it would be a mess and a headache, but lesson learned.

Thank You!!!!

Ranger1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited 2019
I'm currently driving around roofless with the Rhino rack on, and it doesn't budge in the slightest. Theres no play at all with the bolts so I imagine you'll be fine. I have the Maximus 3 mount for reference.

IMG_5649.JPG

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm currently driving around roofless with the Rhino rack on, and it doesn't budge in the slightest. Theres no play at all with the bolts so I imagine you'll be fine. I have the Maximus 3 mount for reference.
How is there no lateral movement in that thing!?! That's something that I've also wondered about, how is it stable when you turn when it anchors a foot or two to the body?

Ranger1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited 2019
How is there no lateral movement in that thing!?! That's something that I've also wondered about, how is it stable when you turn when it anchors a foot or two to the body?

I have 2 ladders on mine as well, which gives it 12 anchor points to the roll bars and body. It's absolutely solid
Sponsored