First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Ive seen Dyno sheets like that, nothing fishy imho..depends on the operator setting it up, the other dyno sheets posted register at 1700 rpms and we know its making power before that. Racechips set it at STD smoothing corrections also. Typically reads 5 to 6% higher compared to SAE smoothing. Looks to be on par with Mishimoto and Madnessautowerks baseline pulls.
Also would be interesting to see AFR for both the stock and modified pulls; as well as boost.

I still don't like how it appears on the factory pull someone delayed WOT to cause a better looking graph. If you overlay the two pulls the only difference is the top end; which we expect from a piggyback ECU that can only modify the boost and manifold pressure signals (from the installation video).
Sponsored

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
Also would be interesting to see AFR for both the stock and modified pulls; as well as boost.

I still don't like how it appears on the factory pull someone delayed WOT to cause a better looking graph. If you overlay the two pulls the only difference is the top end; which we expect from a piggyback ECU that can only modify the boost and manifold pressure signals (from the installation video).
The difference in RPM start is about 160 RPMs....

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The difference in RPM start is about 160 RPMs....
Exactly; not much but the result is what appears to be a much more aggressive and wider power band.

If we look at the green stock we can see a small drop as we come onto what's likely max power; that's pretty typical for small turbo motors that spool quickly so the boost control typically overshoots a bit. We see it cut, and then come back.

Only way to really tell is with boost graphs, but the power curve once we normalize is what I would expect from such a piggyback simply tricking the engine to run a little more boost.

In the old days on Buick GNX's we used to do this with a needle valve ;)

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase

yeah, that's an old game unfortunately when baseline pulls are posted. I did compare their baselines to Mishomoto who doesn't have anything to gain for they don't offer a tune. All 3 baseline pulls from the 3 posted on this forum seems to line up close when converted to SAE corrections. I'm just on research mode and reading thru the Mclaren engines tuned by Racechip lol, now working on BMW forum threads.

Last edited:

TexasNate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara, Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
yeah, that's an old game unfortunately when baseline pulls are posted. I did compare their baselines to Mishomoto who doesn't have anything to gain for they don't offer a tune. All 3 baseline pulls from the 3 posted on this forum seems to line up close when converted to SAE corrections. I'm just on research mode and reading thru the Mclaren engines tuned by Racechip lol, now working on BMW forum threads.
It’s only $500, you may be overthinking it.

Reactions: aai

Sponsored

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
its not $500 Im thinking about lol... just would like to see more great posts about it.

DENT1325

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Installed this Tuesday morning. Very simple install just took a few minutes. I did accidentally break off the plastic lock on the boost sensor. I just plugged it in tight and taped it up until I get a new one. No problems here but the manual says if you do have problems you can call support and they will upload a custom tune based on your symptoms. There is an optional setting in the app to delay the tune for x minutes for the engine to warm up. You can make each setting more or less aggressive with fine tune. There is a huge difference in highway passing. The jeep feels like a different vehicle. I've been driving lead footed for a couple of days trying it out and gas mileage on the console is showing around 23.5 mpg up from average of 21.5 before installation. Haven't tried eco mode yet just sport and race. Great purchase so far, just be careful with that boost pressure sensor.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
499$ is not very much money which makes me feel like it’s a scam. My guess is it does nothing, even if it delivered those promised gains those are barely noticeable. Also any tune on a new engine is stupid, some people on VWVortex told me about how their turbos failed before 10k or 15k miles with an APR tuned 2014 GTI. Volkswagen took care of their warranty claims because they found oiling issues for the turbos, I wouldn’t expect to be as lucky with anything from FCA, hell I wouldn’t expect to that lucky from Volkswagen today after they took a financial hit.

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Just ordered mine. There's a coupon code for $40-$50 off if you order the GTS. It's "GTS_USA".

I'll update once I get it!

Reactions: aai

DENT1325

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Definitely not a scam, there are tons of customer generated racechip videos on YouTube with proof of performance gains. They have a tune for just about every vehicle with a turbo from Hyundai to Porsche. I'm in no way affiliated, just happy to see that this is finally out for our jeep turbo.

Sponsored

DENT1325

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Looking forward to a real custom ecu tune with performance parts like downpipe etc.. Will likely sell this when the day comes.

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Initial impressions of the RaceChip are I can definitely tell a major difference in power on the front end in Sport and especially Race mode (I have the app control which allows me to adjust modes on the fly). I haven't fine tuned the settings but I'm working through the Eco, Sport and Race modes. Unfortunately Alaska only has 90 Octane gas so that will affect MPG results which I will post later after more time has passed.

So far I'm impressed with the drastic change in performance. I've shut off the Race Chip with the app a few times and the difference is starkly apparent. I'll be adding MPG and other details as I spend more time with the Race Chip installed. So far it's worth the money. I plan on making it water resistant by wrapping the module in a ziploc and using tape to seal it as best as possible.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
499$ is not very much money which makes me feel like it’s a scam. My guess is it does nothing, even if it delivered those promised gains those are barely noticeable. Also any tune on a new engine is stupid, some people on VWVortex told me about how their turbos failed before 10k or 15k miles with an APR tuned 2014 GTI. Volkswagen took care of their warranty claims because they found oiling issues for the turbos, I wouldn’t expect to be as lucky with anything from FCA, hell I wouldn’t expect to that lucky from Volkswagen today after they took a financial hit.
Tuning a new engine isn't stupid. Everyone's risk tolerance is different. And the $500 price point is competitive to other piggy back devices on the market for many manufacturers for the past decade. I would bet that APR had nothing to do with those turbos failing.

I can tell you from first hand experience that the gains from piggy back devices are typically VERY noticeable, but obviously before/after dyno (same dyno, same conditions) is what is needed to know with certainty.

With all of that said, I still prefer an ECU tune, but it's far easier to tell that a computer has been flashed, so the piggy back option is the least invasive.

WranglerBoost

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Turbo
RaceChip let someone do a review / marketing video and published it on their channel:

It's definitely a marketing video, but I can confirm most of the points. Before you criticize it, I suggest you make your own (independent!) review about the tune.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
RaceChip let someone do a review / marketing video and published it on their channel:

It's definitely a marketing video, but I can confirm most of the points. Before you criticize it, I suggest you make your own (independent!) review about the tune.
What a useless video! He says nothing of substance.
Sponsored