Racechip piggyback tuner for 2.0 JL

WranglerBoost

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Turbo
What was the reason for the replaced motors?
Haven't herd much on engine replacement other than the one with the coolant problem.
I would be interested in an answer, too. Maybe these are the reason why Jeep increased the recommended octane to 91?
Sponsored

Jnrscaping

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara
Actually, RaceChip is the most reputable piggyback company for tuning of BMWs, Audis, VWs and Mercedes in the world (e.g. they have 270k Facebook fans: https://www.facebook.com/racechipUSA/). They opened their US office just one year ago, so they are not as well known in the US as in other countries. Especially when it comes to US cars. But in Europe, they have a long history. My shipment came directly from Germany back then.

It's important that you understand their technology. It's a piggyback system, which is installed under the hood between the sensors and the ecu. It's a simpler solution than cracking the ecu, but also safer when done right. All engine protection mechanisms remain active. Furthermore, I can remove the product in just 5 min and the car is in stock condition again. No traces left. Perfect for leased cars.
Disadvantages: an ecu reprogramming can release more power (but is of course less safe, especially if it is no reputable brand). Many people don't like piggybacks, because they think about the crap you find on ebay. But I am more than happy so far. So, I just ordered one for my Wrangler :)
Great man thanks for the input appreciate it. I guess another question I have is how experienced are they with turbos and what differences improvements have you noticed so far with your wrangler?

WranglerBoost

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Turbo
Great man thanks for the input appreciate it. I guess another question I have is how experienced are they with turbos and what differences improvements have you noticed so far with your wrangler?
No experiences on the Wrangler yet, I just ordered.
They do only turbocharged and supercharged engines. Nothing else.

Jnrscaping

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara
No experiences on the Wrangler yet, I just ordered.
They do only turbocharged and supercharged engines. Nothing else.
Nice ok good to know. Yea man definitely let us know your impressions after a bit of use. I’m super super excited.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Actually, RaceChip is the most reputable piggyback company for tuning of BMWs, Audis, VWs and Mercedes in the world (e.g. they have 270k Facebook fans: https://www.facebook.com/racechipUSA/). They opened their US office just one year ago, so they are not as well known in the US as in other countries. Especially when it comes to US cars. But in Europe, they have a long history. My shipment came directly from Germany back then.

It's important that you understand their technology. It's a piggyback system, which is installed under the hood between the sensors and the ecu. It's a simpler solution than cracking the ecu, but also safer when done right. All engine protection mechanisms remain active. Furthermore, I can remove the product in just 5 min and the car is in stock condition again. No traces left. Perfect for leased cars.
Disadvantages: an ecu reprogramming can release more power (but is of course less safe, especially if it is no reputable brand). Many people don't like piggybacks, because they think about the crap you find on ebay. But I am more than happy so far. So, I just ordered one for my Wrangler
Awesome. Interested myself, but will check back in 5 years to see if you need an engine rebuild, then maybe I’ll get one myself. :giggle:

Sponsored

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!

Disadvantages: an ecu reprogramming can release more power (but is of course less safe, especially if it is no reputable brand). Many people don't like piggybacks, because they think about the crap you find on ebay. But I am more than happy so far. So, I just ordered one for my Wrangler :)
That's all comforting, but I still haven't seen anything about how a piggyback tune accounts for the E-torque system. As far as I know there isn't even a detailed explanation of how exactly the entire system works together. Just a bunch of summaries and generalizations.

WranglerBoost

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Turbo
Update: The piggyback arrived last Wednesday, but I did not have time to install it until Sunday.
Installation was pretty easy, their installation video explains everything. Just one thing: Do not install this when your engine is still hot. It's pretty tight there and easy to get burnt.

I did not have a chance to drive much, but I can share my first impression: I can definitely feel a difference. Not only at lower speed, but also at 60 mph it pulls better. However, I expected a little bit more to be honest. Maybe, I am biased due to my previous experience with RaceChip in a BMW (where they by the way promise much higher gains).
Anyway, RaceChip states that it takes up to 100 miles until the full performance upgrade gets released. So, I'll drive more until I review it.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Update: The piggyback arrived last Wednesday, but I did not have time to install it until Sunday.
Installation was pretty easy, their installation video explains everything. Just one thing: Do not install this when your engine is still hot. It's pretty tight there and easy to get burnt.

I did not have a chance to drive much, but I can share my first impression: I can definitely feel a difference. Not only at lower speed, but also at 60 mph it pulls better. However, I expected a little bit more to be honest. Maybe, I am biased due to my previous experience with RaceChip in a BMW (where they by the way promise much higher gains).
Anyway, RaceChip states that it takes up to 100 miles until the full performance upgrade gets released. So, I'll drive more until I review it.
Well their first bullet point states to let it cool before working on it.

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase

Would you have anymore feedback that you could share? much appreciated

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

We must remember that as a piggyback all they can do is manipulate the sensor values to trick the ECU. The power increase comes from tricking the engine to run higher boost - they plug into the boost/map sensor for a reason.

Other tricks will include modifying the O2 sensors input to the ECU to modify the a/f ratios; as well as maybe coolant temps and such.

This doesn't mean it can't work but it's pretty brutish approach. The good news is if you remove it the dealership service will see the historical sensor values but not know why. If you blow up your engine I strongly suggest you remove the device before it gets towed to the dealer.

Last edited:

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
We must remember that as a piggyback all they can do is manipulate the sensor values to trick the ECU. The power increase comes from tricking the engine to run higher boost - they plug into the boost/map sensor for a reason.

Other tricks will include modifying the O2 sensors input to the ECU to modify the a/f ratios; as well as maybe coolant temps and such.

This doesn't mean it can't work but it's pretty brutish approach. The good news is if you remove it the dealership service will see the historical sensor values but not know why. If you blow up your engine I strongly suggest you remove the device before it gets towed to the dealer.
It's actually the best and most common way to tune every turbo BMW since the N54 hit the streets. They work, and they work very well.

One thing that does give me a bit of pause with the RaceChip is that the module is not water tight. In a Jeep application I think this is a must.

WranglerBoost

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Turbo
I agree that it's smarter to remove the device before you go to the dealer. But the other assumptions are not true.
Just because, you could do brutish or dangerous things, does not mean that RaceChip does this! It's pretty easy to check whether your negative assumptions are true. Just watch the install video I posted above and you will see that the RaceChip does NOT connect to the O2 sensors. So, it can't manipulate them. It also does not modify any temperature signals. I did my research before I ordered this.

E.g. in following video this concern is addressed:

It's actually the best and most common way to tune every turbo BMW since the N54 hit the streets. They work, and they work very well.

One thing that does give me a bit of pause with the RaceChip is that the module is not water tight. In a Jeep application I think this is a must.
Agree 100%. Where do you know from that it is not water tight?

WranglerBoost

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Turbo
I apologize for my long absence. I am far too busy these days, but I wanted to properly test this before I give a recommendation. In the meantime, I drove more than 700 miles including some light off-roading last weekend. I must say I am more than impressed. As they told me, it took about 100 miles until the power was 100% activated. I also made sure to use some proper gas. The power upgrade even feels stronger than the 29 hp they advertise. I was going back and forth with the support and they said that it heavily depends on the fuel you use. They tested it with 91 octane and even different brands can make a difference. 93 octane will release even more power.

Even at very low rpms, the torque increase is very noticeable. Considering the fact that high torque at low rpms was the main reason why I chose the 2.0L Turbo, this is just awesome. Surprisingly, also acceleration between 60 and 90 mph improved a lot. Overall, it is very smooth. Turning the RaceChip off now feels horrible. Can’t believe how boring the stock tune feels now. I am looking forward to the dyno chart. The support said they will publish one soon.
Sponsored