Sponsored

Racechip piggyback tuner for 2.0 JL

DesertFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep KL
I used the JB2 piggyback on my 2008 BMW 335i coupe, it rocked. The biggest performance gain I’d ever had for such a simple install and such a low price. Had it on for two years before I sold the car, zero issues. The ECU had no trouble adjusting for the higher boost pressure. Given the severe issues with reprogramming the Jeep PCM this could be the best solution for the 2.0.

Sponsored

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I agree that it's smarter to remove the device before you go to the dealer. But the other assumptions are not true.
Just because, you could do brutish or dangerous things, does not mean that RaceChip does this! It's pretty easy to check whether your negative assumptions are true. Just watch the install video I posted above and you will see that the RaceChip does NOT connect to the O2 sensors. So, it can't manipulate them. It also does not modify any temperature signals. I did my research before I ordered this.

E.g. in following video this concern is addressed:

Agree 100%. Where do you know from that it is not water tight?

The directions say to keep it in a high and dry place.

Jnrscaping

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara
I apologize for my long absence. I am far too busy these days, but I wanted to properly test this before I give a recommendation. In the meantime, I drove more than 700 miles including some light off-roading last weekend. I must say I am more than impressed. As they told me, it took about 100 miles until the power was 100% activated. I also made sure to use some proper gas. The power upgrade even feels stronger than the 29 hp they advertise. I was going back and forth with the support and they said that it heavily depends on the fuel you use. They tested it with 91 octane and even different brands can make a difference. 93 octane will release even more power.

Even at very low rpms, the torque increase is very noticeable. Considering the fact that high torque at low rpms was the main reason why I chose the 2.0L Turbo, this is just awesome. Surprisingly, also acceleration between 60 and 90 mph improved a lot. Overall, it is very smooth. Turning the RaceChip off now feels horrible. Can’t believe how boring the stock tune feels now. I am looking forward to the dyno chart. The support said they will publish one soon.
Yea if you happen to see they’re dyno chart make sure u post it here please.

kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
@WranglerBoost which one did you end up getting? I was reading up the app reviews (apple, android) for the GTs and apparently it's terrible -- lots of folks can't get it to connect.

I'm guessing it comes in "sport" setting from factory? I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding how off/eco/sport/race settings translate to 7 fine tuning mappings they advertise on the website.

PS: Cheers for testing this out and sharing your experience!

WranglerBoost

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Turbo
@WranglerBoost which one did you end up getting? I was reading up the app reviews (apple, android) for the GTs and apparently it's terrible -- lots of folks can't get it to connect.

I'm guessing it comes in "sport" setting from factory? I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding how off/eco/sport/race settings translate to 7 fine tuning mappings they advertise on the website.

PS: Cheers for testing this out and sharing your experience!
The GTS+App. Your links are leading to the old app. The new RaceChip app:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/racechip/id1450806314
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.racechip.plus
In the past, some people seemed to have connection issues. I did not have any problems connecting the app. The trick is to connect it via the RaceChip app and not via the settings of the phone.

The fine tuning maps were preselected, e.g. Sport = 4 and Race = 6. Those selections can be changed in the settings of the app. Just follow my link to the RaceChip+ app and click through the screenshots.

Sponsored

WranglerBoost

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Turbo
I finally received a dyno chart from RaceChip. It's the 4th gear and they were using 91 octane.

The power increase looks very smooth and consistent across the whole rpm range. The performance increase at lower rpms is impressive. Just draw a vertical line below 3000 rpm and the torque gain is huge.

RaceChip Jeep Wrangler 2.0T dyno chart.png

kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
The GTS+App. Your links are leading to the old app. The new RaceChip app:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/racechip/id1450806314
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.racechip.plus
In the past, some people seemed to have connection issues. I did not have any problems connecting the app. The trick is to connect it via the RaceChip app and not via the settings of the phone.

The fine tuning maps were preselected, e.g. Sport = 4 and Race = 6. Those selections can be changed in the settings of the app. Just follow my link to the RaceChip+ app and click through the screenshots.
Outstanding, thank you!

Funny thing about the old app links is that I grabbed them from their website ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WranglerBoost

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Turbo
Outstanding, thank you!

Funny thing about the old app links is that I grabbed them from their website ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You are right, also the screenshots on the website still show the old app. I guess they did not update the website yet.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I finally received a dyno chart from RaceChip. It's the 4th gear and they were using 91 octane.

The power increase looks very smooth and consistent across the whole rpm range. The performance increase at lower rpms is impressive. Just draw a vertical line below 3000 rpm and the torque gain is huge.

Something looks fishy with the low RPM stock HP and torque graphs.... We're expected to believe below 2200 rpm stock makes no HP or torque?

To me it looks like the stock runs are displaced RPM wise. Wheel slip? Different gear? Different tire size? But something is off.

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Ive seen Dyno sheets like that, nothing fishy imho..depends on the operator setting it up, the other dyno sheets posted register at 1700 rpms and we know its making power before that. Racechips set it at STD smoothing corrections also. Typically reads 5 to 6% higher compared to SAE smoothing. Looks to be on par with Mishimoto and Madnessautowerks baseline pulls.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Something looks fishy with the low RPM stock HP and torque graphs.... We're expected to believe below 2200 rpm stock makes no HP or torque?

To me it looks like the stock runs are displaced RPM wise. Wheel slip? Different gear? Different tire size? But something is off.
Most dyno tests are done at whatever ratio is 1:1 (which is 6th gear for this transmission), and it is pretty difficult to keep the transmission from downshifting at low RPMs and wide open throttle. To me it looks like they just started the tuned test at a lower RPM, which is why the untuned reads differently down low. They should have cut off the chart at 2,500 RPM to make it read better, since everything below is likely bad data.

Both the before & after cross at 5252 RPM, which indicates that this graph wasn't faked.

DesertFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep KL
In addition, had the rpm been displaced the power would not drop off completely at redline. Since it does die at 5600 rpm it is another indication the data is not displaced.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

That is how it works when you push the accelerator in. Things have to get moving.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In addition, had the rpm been displaced the power would not drop off completely at redline. Since it does die at 5600 rpm it is another indication the data is not displaced.

That is because they took their foot off of the accelerator. I own a dynojet. Almost every graph looks just like this.

StingGreyTwitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Hydro-Blue Polar Edition | 2018 Sting Grey Rubicon

Have you noticed a change in MPG positive or negative?
Sponsored