Racechip piggyback tuner for 2.0 JL

WranglerBoost

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Turbo
I use one in my BMW and it's awesome. Can't wait to test it in the Wrangler. The torque increase should be great.
I did some research on RaceChip and the Wrangler. The product for the 2.0L Turbo seems to be brand new, but for the Diesel I found some positive reviews from South Africa. So, they have some history with the Wrangler.

RC_Wrangler_Diesel (2).PNG
Sponsored

WranglerBoost

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Turbo
They don’t even have the production year right....2017.... it came out on 2018
It's a German company and they always use the first production year and not the model year. That's how they do it in Europe.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It's a German company and they always use the first production year and not the model year. That's how they do it in Europe.
First JL didn't come out untill January of 2018 for the V6, so 2017 is still wrong.
First 2.0L was around May, 2018.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
I use one in my BMW and it's awesome. Can't wait to test it in the Wrangler. The torque increase should be great.
I did some research on RaceChip and the Wrangler. The product for the 2.0L Turbo seems to be brand new, but for the Diesel I found some positive reviews from South Africa. So, they have some history with the Wrangler.

May I ask why you would choose them over JB4 piggyback for your BMW?

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
That said, 20% seems unlikely, if so it would be worth it.
Depends on how you look at it.
Take the following example:
Base MPG: 20
MPG+20%: 24
Avg Fuel: $3.30
Miles per year driven: 12,000
Base fuel costs: $1,980
+20% Fuel costs: $1,650
Savings: $330.00

New engine costs: $5000-7500. (at least, but lets take 6.5k)
Numbers of years needed to drive to cover the cost of the engine: 19.7
This does not scale linearly. If for example your base MPG was 24, it would then take 23.6 years to cover the costs. 30 MPG, then almost 30 years.

Sponsored

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE

This does not scale linearly. If for example your base MPG was 24, it would then take 23.6 years to cover the costs. 30 MPG, then almost 30 years.
anyone who tunes their vehicle will never see MPG benefits from tune.

Yes they are more fuel efficient under lightest driving conditions but in the real world those who modify for performance tend to use their vehicle in performance fashion which results in worst MPG overall.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
anyone who tunes their vehicle will never see MPG benefits from tune.

Yes they are more fuel efficient under lightest driving conditions but in the real world those who modify for performance tend to use their vehicle in performance fashion which results in worst MPG overall.
The intention of my post was to indicate that even such a bold claim of 20% MPG increase would, in actuality take decades to actually cover the costs of your repairs, should the worst happen.
If the fuel costs were like 7 or 8 bucks, then yeah.. it could be beneficial to take the risk, assuming your engine will last 10 years. Or if you drive 25k a year.

WranglerBoost

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Turbo
May I ask why you would choose them over JB4 piggyback for your BMW?
Because I did not want them to mess with my canbus system. I just don't trust these guys. In the past, they were automatically deleting all check engine lights of customers, so that they where not able to see that the tune was triggering it. I want a safe solution that does not mess with any systems.
JB4 has more options, you can change more parameters. But I don't need that. I just wanted something reliable that "just works". I prefer "Made in Germany" on a BMW when the alternative is a product that looks like a cheap plastic box with some wires. Don't get me wrong. Many people are happy with them, it's just nothing for me.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
In the past, they were automatically deleting all check engine lights of customers, so that they where not able to see that the tune was triggering it.
Holy crap. Is that really true?
Would be a deal breaker for me, to be sure.
In any case, it doesn't seem like a hot idea to try tuning the first model year of any engine.
The fact is that this engine has not been out long enough for anyone to reliably engineer a tuning solution. They have no idea what the weak points will be on this motor. Who knows what increasing the boost will do 4 years down the road.

WranglerBoost

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Turbo
First JL didn't come out untill January of 2018 for the V6, so 2017 is still wrong.
First 2.0L was around May, 2018.
I don't want to defend them. The way they show the data sucks.
But they write "Wrangler (JL) (from 2017)", which refers to the model and not the engine. It may look like it, because there is no other engine option next to the 2.0L right now..

Sponsored

WranglerBoost

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Turbo
Holy crap. Is that really true?
Would be a deal breaker for me, to be sure.
In any case, it doesn't seem like a hot idea to try tuning the first model year of any engine.
The fact is that this engine has not been out long enough for anyone to reliably engineer a tuning solution. They have no idea what the weak points will be on this motor. Who knows what increasing the boost will do 4 years down the road.
I was talking about JB4, not RaceChip.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

Being worth it doesn't necessarily mean financially :) It'll never cover that. Was never implying as such. For me, I'd like the additional performance and the fact that it increases the range I get on my tank makes it worthwhile for me. Those benefits are worth the price in my opinion, and probably others as well.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Reactions: aai

Jnrscaping

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara

I am really interested just want to make sure it’s reliable and won’t screw up my engine.
Sponsored