Quietest Rock Crawler/ High Tuck Exhaust

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
While I know the choices are limited, any rock crawler exhausts out there, or coming to the market, that are as quiet or quieter than stock. Not a fan of a V6 with a loud exhaust. Every V6 I have heard sounds like a ricer with most aftermarket systems, so honestly just looking for something that makes it as quiet as possible.
Sponsored

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
While I know the choices are limited, any rock crawler exhausts out there, or coming to the market, that are as quiet or quieter than stock. Not a fan of a V6 with a loud exhaust. Every V6 I have heard sounds like a ricer with most aftermarket systems, so honestly just looking for something that makes it as quiet as possible.
Nothing so far. Dynomax has a quiet crawler system for the JK but its still not available for the JL. That would be the best bet. Borla makes a climber exhaust that does not drone but it can be loud. I have asked them to offer their touring muffler or a quieter option for their climber and they said its not in the cards.

I think whatever vendor comes out with a quiet JL rock crawler catback first will dominate the segment. Too many people want it IMO. @Lisa@Borla @DynoMax Exhaust @Flowmaster Exhaust

Last edited:

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
Just pick whatever quiet muffler you want and have someone install it after the resonator. Then get a muffler delete tail pipe. Stock pipes are 2.5" just like all the aftermarket stuff. It does get a little smaller by the axle but not much. No point it changing 2.5 for 2.5 IMO.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Just pick whatever quiet muffler you want and have someone install it after the resonator. Then get a muffler delete tail pipe. Stock pipes are 2.5" just like all the aftermarket stuff. It does get a little smaller by the axle but not much. No point it changing 2.5 for 2.5 IMO.
I would but my mechanic tossed my factory setup so I have no resonator. I have a exhaust guy lined up to install a new muffler that is quieter than what I have but keeping the same piping. The issue not is finding a quiet muffler that fits rough the same spot as the Magnaflow muffler. Right now I am looking at a few Dynomax models. I need a straight-line 2.5/2.5" muffler to avoid having to scrap the existing piping. Cross over entry/exit mufflers are quieter but they trash my setup.

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
How about the Pypes Touring Model??? I've been waiting for sound clips or reviews, but nothing so far?

Sponsored

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
How about the Pypes Touring Model??? I've been waiting for sound clips or reviews, but nothing so far?
There is a video clip on youtube and from what I recall it still sounds a bit loud. There also have been some comments about them droning in certain RPM ranges. Right now Borla and Corsa are the two brands that have a rep for not droning. Corsa does not make a rock crawler catback and Borla is not budging from only using the S-Type muffler on their climber exhaust.

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
I would but my mechanic tossed my factory setup so I have no resonator. I have a exhaust guy lined up to install a new muffler that is quieter than what I have but keeping the same piping. The issue not is finding a quiet muffler that fits rough the same spot as the Magnaflow muffler. Right now I am looking at a few Dynomax models. I need a straight-line 2.5/2.5" muffler to avoid having to scrap the existing piping. Cross over entry/exit mufflers are quieter but they trash my setup.

Dynomax Model 17218 is a center/center 2.5 to 2.5 and measures 4.5H x 14L x 9.75W.... Please let us know when you upgrade and what it sounds like.

I really don't want too much of an increase in sound, but a little low rumble is ok.... No Ricer sounds.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Dynomax Model 17218 is a center/center 2.5 to 2.5 and measures 4.5H x 14L x 9.75W.... Please let us know when you upgrade and what it sounds like.

I really don't want too much of an increase in sound, but a little low rumble is ok.... No Ricer sounds.
Thanks. I am also looking at this model which is a little longer. My guy can cut some of the rear piping to fit it. That said with me adding in a race muffler as a sort of resonator it may need a shorter main muffler. Here us what I am thinking:

https://www.amazon.com/Dynomax-1722...00029J38O/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HD1C6E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CO46H0G/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The other option is to put an S-type Borla system in there instead of the Dynomax. Borlas do not drone and with a race, resonator attached I should take the edge off the volume.

https://www.borla.com/products/proxs_25_centercenter_14x4x95_muffler_part__400496.html Just the muffler.

https://www.borla.com/products/jlu_wrangler_4_door_climber_catback_exhaust_stype_part__140747.html Catback climber system which I know will be a bit loud but with no drone. I could do this as well unless the ProXS is quieter. Then I would just pull out my MF muffler, put in the XS, the dynomax race resonator and call it a day.

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I am also looking at this model which is a little longer. My guy can cut some of the rear piping to fit it. That said with me adding in a race muffler as a sort of resonator it may need a shorter main muffler. Here us what I am thinking:

https://www.amazon.com/Dynomax-1722...00029J38O/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HD1C6E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CO46H0G/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The other option is to put an S-type Borla system in there instead of the Dynomax. Borlas do not drone and with a race, resonator attached I should take the edge off the volume.

https://www.borla.com/products/proxs_25_centercenter_14x4x95_muffler_part__400496.html Just the muffler.

https://www.borla.com/products/jlu_wrangler_4_door_climber_catback_exhaust_stype_part__140747.html Catback climber system which I know will be a bit loud but with no drone. I could do this as well unless the ProXS is quieter. Then I would just pull out my MF muffler, put in the XS, the dynomax race resonator and call it a day.

Looking forward to hearing about what you end up with and how it sounds.....

Sponsored

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Looking forward to hearing about what you end up with and how it sounds.....
I spoke to Borla and the told me the ProXS universal muffler is quieter than the S-Type that comes with the climber exhaust system. However bc they tune each of their vehicle-specific products to the car they cannot guarantee it won't drone at certain RPMs. Even with the race can added in for good measure.

So I either go for quiet and deal with some quiet droning or I go with no drone and have to manage the volume down with extra parts as the race resonator?

In other words is quieter worth drone risk?

It is cheaper to just swap in a ProXS for my MF can and start there. Add in 60 bucks plus labor for a race can if needed. All that can be figured out in an afternoon.

I guess its time to call my guy and get his professional opinion. :)

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I spoke to Borla and the told me the ProXS universal muffler is quieter than the S-Type that comes with the climber exhaust system. However bc they tune each of their vehicle-specific products to the car they cannot guarantee it won't drone at certain RPMs. Even with the race can added in for good measure.

So I either go for quiet and deal with some quiet droning or I go with no drone and have to manage the volume down with extra parts as the race resonator?

In other words is quieter worth drone risk?

It is cheaper to just swap in a ProXS for my MF can and start there. Add in 60 bucks plus labor for a race can if needed. All that can be figured out in an afternoon.

I guess its time to call my guy and get his professional opinion. :)

I decided to go with the Borla ProXS universal muffler and a Dynomax Race Bullet Resonator. Ideally, we can skip the latter but I got one in the even that the universal Borla has any drone or is too loud. Again Borla said the ProXS is quieter than the S-Type on their Climber exhaust but they could not guarantee zero drone at all RPMs bc they tune their mufflers to the car.

My hope is given that the MF muffler and the Borla are the same lengths that the Borla will fit without any issue. If we have to add the race bullet then we will need to cut some pipe.

The whole thing will be welded so it should be tight and fingers crossed mellow with no drone. I will post Youtube clips once it's done.

OP
OP
VolCntry73

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I decided to go with the Borla ProXS universal muffler and a Dynomax Race Bullet Resonator. Ideally, we can skip the latter but I got one in the even that the universal Borla has any drone or is too loud. Again Borla said the ProXS is quieter than the S-Type on their Climber exhaust but they could not guarantee zero drone at all RPMs bc they tune their mufflers to the car.

My hope is given that the MF muffler and the Borla are the same lengths that the Borla will fit without any issue. If we have to add the race bullet then we will need to cut some pipe.

The whole thing will be welded so it should be tight and fingers crossed mellow with no drone. I will post Youtube clips once it's done.
Looking forward to seeing the results.

tiltz

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru STI
This is what I did with my old JK and it was basically about as quiet as stock. I plan on doing the same with my JL eventually. This is just a Magnaflow Muffler installed after a Vibrant Resonator. I don't have any pics, but I did put a turn down tip so the exhaust wasn't pointed at the rear coilover.

20141102_102059.jpg