Quietest Rock Crawler/ High Tuck Exhaust

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have not forgotten. The weather has turned frigid so crawling under the car was not looking appealing lol. I will do the recording on Friday and post over the weekend.

R.
Sorry about the delay but shortly after I posted this my Rubicon was in an accident. :( . Needs a new hardtop and glass. Once I get it back from the shop you will get a video of undercarriage plus audio at tailpipe and inside as I take it through suite of scenarios.

I can say interior volume maxes out at 74 db and it idles in the mid 50s.

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
Sorry about the delay but shortly after I posted this my Rubicon was in an accident. :( . Needs a new hardtop and glass. Once I get it back from the shop you will get a video of undercarriage plus audio at tailpipe and inside as I take it through suite of scenarios.

I can say interior volume maxes out at 74 db and it idles in the mid 50s.
That SUCKS.... How unfortunate:facepalm:

Also would like your impression after having the exhaust on it.

Sponsored

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Does this add clearance? How much louder than stock?
The most clearance comes from a catback but the Borla axle back does improve clearance in that its a smaller muffler. The flip side is the muffler has two tailpipes which could impact clearance a bit. Overall should get some more room with a small muffler axle back but it won't be night and day from the stock can.

R.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
If you want to remove any kind of rear muffler you are not going to find quiet and drone free in anything that is shipping now. Some are drone free but louder most rock crawlers apart from Borla drone and are also fairly loud. AFe is probably the best bet on a rock crawler that is not super loud but it can drone at highway speeds.

What I built isn't even perfect. It is worlds better than my Magnaflow but there is a bit of a drone in the 60-75 mph range. I may swap out the 12-inch resonator for the quiet resonator I posted above. Provided my exhaust guy says it will fit.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1141...PM8AG278SVS&psc=1&refRID=WQW03A2BYPM8AG278SVS

Again I will post audio and video of the setup this weekend.

R.
Are you still planning on posting a video with the quiet resonator? Would love to hear it..

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon

A few quick videos shot on an iPhone Xs Max. It will give you a sense of interior sounds. In the end you hear the tires and wind more than the exhaust at least when cruising. I will say over 70 is can get more noticeable so I may upgrade to the Vibrant Quiet Resonator.

parbo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I had a custom exhaust put on today which gave the quiet rock crawler I wanted. Recall I had a Magnaflow Catback Rock Crawler system. It was throaty but had too much drone and even made my Jeep feel sluggish.

In any case after looking at just about everything I decided to replace the MF muffler (it really is a resonator) with a Borla ProXS universal muffler. 2.25"/2.25" center/offset muffler. In front of the Borla (which does not drone), I put in a 12" resonator from Vibrant.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E3VHVO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.borla.com/products/proxs_225_offsetcenter_14x425x788_muffler_part__40658.html

I kept the tailpipe section and some of the connecting pipe.

My exhaust guy tig welded most of the setup but clamped the front bit coming off the y-pipe.

I will post a video over the weekend but I can tell you the early returns are excellent. Decibels are maxing out at 74 but most of the time the Jeep stays in the 60s and gets into the 50s at idle. There is no drone, it's not loud and the car moves a bit easier IMO.

So for what it is worth if you have a capable exhaust shop near you and want a rock crawler for a daily driver this could be an option.

Parts: Borla Muffler $93, Vibrant 12" Resonator $48, Misc parts/weld material $85, Labor $240 What is missing is likely another $75 in making a custom tailpipe with bends. So all in this would be ~$540-570.

I was burned by dropping $385 (Black Friday Sale) on the MF crawler, $150 on dealer install. So $535 all in.

Had I done more research on this forum :) I would have built a system I wanted and saved over $500.

If you wanted something as quiet as stock you can go with the Vibrant quiet resonator.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1141...PM8AG278SVS&psc=1&refRID=WQW03A2BYPM8AG278SVS
Just curious. Wouldn’t you use a 2.5 inch muffler instead of the 2.25?

Sponsored

Plain&Simple

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
While I know the choices are limited, any rock crawler exhausts out there, or coming to the market, that are as quiet or quieter than stock. Not a fan of a V6 with a loud exhaust. Every V6 I have heard sounds like a ricer with most aftermarket systems, so honestly just looking for something that makes it as quiet as possible.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Interior noise is annoying and sounds like a ricer. (Ha) I hope there's something out there that fits what we are looking for. Unless its the 392, it should just be quiet.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I feel Hooker's Blackheart system doesn't get enough credit. I too wanted a high clearance exhaust that's as quiet as stock but knew the laws of physics aren't gonna let that happen.

My plan A was to install the Blackheart Cat-back system BH5412 which replaces the resonator with a small muffler and deletes the stock muffler.

If it was too loud plan B was to add the Blackheart Axle-back system BH5410 and sell the un-needed muffler delete pipe BH5411 that comes with BH5412. This would add a second high-tuck muffler where the stock muffler was.

I never needed to implement plan B. the cat-back system is louder than stock but not obnoxious and has no drone.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
This is exactly what I was thinking. Interior noise is annoying and sounds like a ricer. (Ha) I hope there's something out there that fits what we are looking for. Unless its the 392, it should just be quiet.
Borla has since released the Touring Climber cat-back system that was being longed for in the first couple of pages. I've had it for the last couple of years, and it does indeed click all the boxes. Ultimate ground clearance in the rear, zero drone and any speed/rpm range, provides a subtle increase in bass tone without sounding overly loud and tinny like a ricer, and is fully constructed from T-304 stainless that won't corrode in wet/salty environments.

Here's a couple of pics to show before and after, and a couple of underside shots of the rear section that goes over the rear axle...

Jeep Wrangler JL Quietest Rock Crawler/ High Tuck Exhaust 20201223_135240_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Quietest Rock Crawler/ High Tuck Exhaust 20220806_091830_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Quietest Rock Crawler/ High Tuck Exhaust 20220616_135517
Jeep Wrangler JL Quietest Rock Crawler/ High Tuck Exhaust 20210815_122700

JLR_AEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon AEV Outfitted
Borla has since released the Touring Climber cat-back system that was being longed for in the first couple of pages. I've had it for the last couple of years, and it does indeed click all the boxes. Ultimate ground clearance in the rear, zero drone and any speed/rpm range, provides a subtle increase in bass tone without sounding overly loud and tinny like a ricer, and is fully constructed from T-304 stainless that won't corrode in wet/salty environments.

Here's a couple of pics to show before and after, and a couple of underside shots of the rear section that goes over the rear axle...

Thank you for posting this.
I just looked it up and they dont make it for the 2 dr ugh -_-

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Thank you for posting this.
I just looked it up and they dont make it for the 2 dr ugh -_-
They do make their Climber series for the 2-door now. One for the 2-door 2.0T (S-Type muffler #140861) and two for the 3.6L (S-Type #140847 and Touring #140846).

No Touring muffler for the 2.0T 2-door for some reason, though (and still fitment issues with eTorque and auto-4WD).

Borla has since released the Touring Climber cat-back system that was being longed for in the first couple of pages. I've had it for the last couple of years, and it does indeed click all the boxes.
I'd love to get this one myself, but unfortunately, their system is one of the few with a muffler/resonator too wide to accommodate the 48V eTorque battery and some part of the auto-4WD hardware. Not sure why they spent so much R&D time for a design that only works for a fraction of potential buyers and why it's been so long and they still haven't tweaked the muffler size to work.
Sponsored