Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I think you may be overthinking the situation. To the other's points, I'd just use the 87, then refill with 91 when your tank is empty. On a related note, my daughter's 2004 Volvo XC90 requires 91, however, we've been putting 85 in it for years. It's a 2.5L 5 Cylinder Turbo motor. Runs fine on the lowest grade. Also, my previous BMW's required premium. Of course, I liked to put premium in, but again, but have put in lesser grades. Also ran fine. My 2 cents.
You are correct. I was overthinking - but this thread was educational and I feel much better since I started this thread and getting good advice from fellow Jeepers. :)
Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct. I was overthinking - but this thread was educational and I feel much better since I started this thread and getting good advice from fellow Jeepers. :)
Glad to hear! Sounds like your feeling better about the whole situation.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I read that Torco will put an orange residue on the spark plugs.
Oh, it absolutely does. I use to run it in my Focus ST from time to time. I don’t suggest it unless your tuned and trying to reduce knock. This shouldn’t be an issue on a stock tune.

Unkle Fester

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
Don’t take advice from me, you’ll end up drunk and naked in a park somewhere across town.

AG’s ‘ 21 Jeep Wrangler

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Now a days all grades of gas use the same amount of detergents. Required by regulations (full tier gas). Also, all newer engines have knock sensors. Computer will automatically lower the engine timing if knocking is occurring.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Has anyone checked up on this guy? If 2018 was bad, I can't imagine what 2020 did to him.
Thanks to Tesla and tech stocks, 2020 turned out to be the best year - thank you for asking.

Sponsored

Deleted member 53226

The dealer filled it up with regular 87 octane gas.
What is the best option to quickly get to 91 octane?
[/QUOTE]

Quickest and safest way to get 91 octane into your jeep after that unfortunate experience with the dealer filling it up with that cheapo 89 stuff? Well, next time you gas up (yes, it has to be the next time or this plan won't work) I recommend using a credit card at the pump , and make sure you press the 91 octane button on the pump, instead of the 89 octane. I repeat, do not hit the 89 octane button! The card saves some time versus walking to the cashier and paying in cash, so I suppose that is the fastest way to full your tank with 91.

Now, you should avoid those stations with the pumps where you have to lift the handle on the pump to activate the fuel flow. That chews up valuable seconds versus just being able to just mash that big ole 91 octane button. When you are looking for the fastest way, every second counts!

Now that I've outlined the quickest way, I think the safest way is not to smoke or use your cell phone while pumping that sweet 91. And don't use a gas station in a bad neighborhood to avoid potential carjacking while your pumping.

Hope all this helps in your quest to safely and quickly put 91 octane into your jeep's tank!

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Quickest and safest way to get 91 octane into your jeep after that unfortunate experience with the dealer filling it up with that cheapo 89 stuff? Well, next time you gas up (yes, it has to be the next time or this plan won't work) I recommend using a credit card at the pump , and make sure you press the 91 octane button on the pump, instead of the 89 octane. I repeat, do not hit the 89 octane button! The card saves some time versus walking to the cashier and paying in cash, so I suppose that is the fastest way to full your tank with 91.

Now, you should avoid those stations with the pumps where you have to lift the handle on the pump to activate the fuel flow. That chews up valuable seconds versus just being able to just mash that big ole 91 octane button. When you are looking for the fastest way, every second counts!

Now that I've outlined the quickest way, I think the safest way is not to smoke or use your cell phone while pumping that sweet 91. And don't use a gas station in a bad neighborhood to avoid potential carjacking while your pumping.

Hope all this helps in your quest to safely and quickly put 91 octane into your jeep's tank!
You seem a little frustrated and bitter. But have a nice day anyway and hope life takes a positive turn for you.
And oh, here the regular gas is 87 octane and not 89. And back in 2018, the owners manual specified 91 octane only for the 2.0L. They changed the specs next year to 87 octane acceptable but 91 recommended.

Last edited:

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
As I posted on a previous thread, I got a new 2019 JLUR 2.0.
The dealer filled it up with regular 87 octane gas.
What is the best option to quickly get to 91 octane?

1. Drive around and every couple of days pump 91 octane and eventually the full tank will be 91 octane?
2. Drive around till the tank is nearly empty, and then fill the whole tank with 91 octane?

And here is a third option which may be the quickest but I want to know if it is safe to do so:
In Las Vegas, some pumps sell 100 octane. If my tank is 80% full with 89 octane, and if I add 1 gallon or so with 100 octane, (don't worry about the exact quantity - I can come up with the math to get to 91 octane), would that work? And then susequent/future fill ups can be 91 octane.
What is the current wind direction?

Deleted member 53226

You seem a little frustrated and bitter. But have a nice day anyway and hope life takes a positive turn for you.
And oh, here the regular gas is 87 octane and not 89. And back in 2018, the owners manual specified 91 octane only for the 2.0L. They changed the specs next year to 87 octane acceptable but 91 recommended.
Nah, I'm fine but thanks for asking. And thanks also for the well wishes on a positive turn in my life. It's always quaint when people say that when they really intend it as an insult. Now, my definition of "posiitve turn" may be different than yours. In fact I am sure it is, since my positive life turn involves a powerball win, a penthouse hotel room in Vegas, and Jennifer Aniston. Who knows, maybe it will happen!

I just like to have some fun with the more bizarre and frankly dumb questions that come along. Yours is very high on that list, but I am sure you figured that out already. Anyway, it sounds like maybe you resolved your conundrum about the gas. I guess you needed to float that one by a bunch of internet strangers to understand how to add new gas to your jeep.

Come back and see us soon for answers to other questions you will surely have, such as "My tires are low on air, how do I fill them up with new and different air?", or "I don't like the radio station playing in my Jeep, how do I change it to a different channel?"
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: