• Poll closed .

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I am waffling between LT285/70R17/C and LT315/70R17/C. My current set is terribly worn down after 36k miles and hums horrifically at highway speeds.
Should I go bigger, since the Rubicon allows the size, or stay the same.

I only overland, never crawl - and the majority of miles is just highway getting there. I wouldn't mind the plusher ride of a bigger tire.
Also, might trade in the vehicle soon due to absurd trade-in values, so keeping it stock might be welcome.
Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
You'll get lots of "upsize" answers but for your described usage - stock size is fine. Also, AT style tires are quieter on the highway, and that's a boon on long trips.

I never minded MT hum on the daily commute, because that's a limited time, and it fed into my daily fantasy of chucking it all and driving off into the wilderness to survive on berries and bear-meat.

But for actual trips, when I'm actually out living the life, so much of the trip (to Moab, or Death Valley, or wherever) is on pavement that I like a quieter tire.

OP
OP
xray

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
You'll get lots of "upsize" answers but for your described usage - stock size is fine. Also, AT style tires are quieter on the highway, and that's a boon on long trips.

I never minded MT hum on the daily commute, because that's a limited time, and it fed into my daily fantasy of chucking it all and driving off into the wilderness to survive on berries and bear-meat.

But for actual trips, when I'm actually out living the life, so much of the trip (to Moab, or Death Valley, or wherever) is on pavement that I like a quieter tire.
This is still for ATs. At the 24k mark the humming starts usually with the heavy concrete highway use in CA. Even with 3k rotations, big block tires are just noisy, even without the standard MT hum.

OP
OP
xray

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Watched the poll. Flipped a biased coin, and bought 4x on the 285s. Saved on a spare and kept it currently stock.
Sponsored

Last edited: