Sponsored

Quick release bolts for hard top?

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S, 2021 Gladiator 80th
I am not sure about the T-handle ones, but I am not happy with the lessor expensive GP-Star LITE ones GPCA sells.

While technically it might be the correct size/pitch they are a very sloppy fit and come loose very easy. My top creaked all the time when using them and I had to tighten them often.
I swapped back to the regular bolts.

Jeep Wrangler JL Quick release bolts for hard top? GP-star-M8-thumb-screw-gpca-10-600x600
Sponsored

OP
OP
Albany

Albany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willy's Sport 2 door manual
So it seems like the gpca ones are the way to go if doing by hand.

One question about them...is there a nut that I have to catch everytime I remove them? Or do they screw into the existing bolt hole only?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So it seems like the gpca ones are the way to go if doing by hand.

One question about them...is there a nut that I have to catch everytime I remove them? Or do they screw into the existing bolt hole only?
No nut, just a washer that helps spread the clamping force over a larger area.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone using aftermarket bolt to hold on their hard top? Looking for a recommendation. Would like something that fits the thread of the JL holes. As in I don't want to worry about replacing the nut underneath. (JL is on order so I'm assuming it's same set up as jk)

I plan on using the top lift pro to take the hard top on and off a lot so looking for a simpler solution.

Thanks for any help.
Another vote for the GPCA T-Handles. I order them with my GPCA Pro cover. I remove the cover and still use them.

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I don't have time to dig up pictures, but I made some custom gib lock bolts for my shop machinery that would be perfect here. The top is a knurled knob that is cross-drilled and has a length of 1/4" drill rod fitted. You can spin them pretty fast, get them quite tight by hand, and they are essentially impossible to break by hand.

I may make a set of those sized for the Jeep. Sounds like an interesting shop project. I'd still have to use the torx bolt for the two at the front though, where the Freedom Panels overlap the rear top.

Hmmm.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

@Albany

Long ago I had some bolts with a T handle, that supposedly allowed for quick removal but they were more of a pain then anything.... slower to remove then me removing the stock bolts with a battery powered removal tool..

I use a battery powered tool now... use the stock bolts and D rings... With the battery powered tool the bolts with D rings come off fast fast...

Also, I wanted the much wanted D rings so I could use them with a net in the back.. or use the D rings to secure items..

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-take-your-jeep-hard-top-off.3706/post-236224

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076SCRTTJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ou-do-to-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/post-1623266

This is the way

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I have the GPCA T-Handles and ended up switching back to the factory bolts since I got a cordless ratchet. The main reason for switching back is that they rubbed on my HotHead headliner.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I have the GPCA T-Handles and ended up switching back to the factory bolts since I got a cordless ratchet. The main reason for switching back is that they rubbed on my HotHead headliner.
How/where did they rub the liner? I have the same liner and don’t have any rubbing at all that I’m aware of. Now I will have to go check it when I get home.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
How/where did they rub the liner? I have the same liner and don’t have any rubbing at all that I’m aware of. Now I will have to go check it when I get home.
Honestly, I can't remember if it was the actual T head that rubbed on the HotHead side window liners or my hand when twisting the head. Either way, it is quicker to use the factory bolts and cordless ratchet (even factoring in the time to dig out the cordless ratchet ;)).

Sponsored

swflfireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
I'll chime in with my support for a battery-powered tool. Even a cheap harbor freight one will work wonders. I take my hard top off a lot in the early summer, since I can steal 2-3 days before it rains cat and dogs. Using a pair of ratchet straps and a battery-powered tool, I can remove the top quickly.

OP
OP
Albany

Albany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok I'm a little embarrassed to ask this but...

If I got a tool to do the work what bit would I need? Is there a specific size (clearly I'm not very handy)

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Ok I'm a little embarrassed to ask this but...

If I got a tool to do the work what bit would I need? Is there a specific size (clearly I'm not very handy)
The best tool for the job would be a cordless ratchet and a set of torx bits. There are many brands of cordless ratchets...from a cheap Husky brand one from Home Depot to higher end models like those made by Milwaukee.

The added bonus to having one is that it makes taking the doors off much easier, too.

OP
OP
Albany

Albany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The best tool for the job would be a cordless ratchet and a set of torx bits. There are many brands of cordless ratchets...from a cheap Husky brand one from Home Depot to higher end models like those made by Milwaukee.

The added bonus to having one is that it makes taking the doors off much easier, too.
Thanks so much. I think this is way I will go.
Sponsored