Sponsored

Quick Question, how long does it take to get use to the clutch?

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Picked up my Rubicon this past weekend. Didn't get a chance to try the manual prior to purchase so I was a little nervous but it only took a few stop signs to get used to the manual. The clutch does have some take but it's smooth and feels just right.

My first manual was a 94 Camaro Z28. I almost had to grab the steering wheel with both hands and pull back to help me push in that clutch! Since then, all of my manuals seem so easy to drive. Hahaha!
Sponsored

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
like Sgt Beevis, I've driven everything from big box trucks to Ferraris....and each one has a different clutch takeup.
currently, on any given day I switch between a boxster and an old fj40.
the Porsche is gutless below 2k rpm and revs to 7k+....and the Toyota has a tractor motor that has real power at idle, hits peak torque at 1800 rpm and falls flat at 3k. each one is very very different.... you just have to feel it and practice.
I suggest you do what I do with everyone I teach manual trans to.... go to an empty parking lot and spend 20-30 mins just starting in 1st. keep your right foot on the floor and sloooowly lift the clutch with the left....NO gas pedal. do it right, and the truck will just smoothly go at walking speed. do that for 50 starts. then add a little gas as you release a little faster. by the end of the 30 mins you will be well accustomed to that clutch and starting smoothly. I promise, you wont wear it out in the 30 mins.
at speed, a clutch is just on/off... any sliding just wears it faster.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I don't mind the Stop/Start on the manual to be honest as its not very intrusive. If I know the light just changed and will be a min, I'll switch to neutral and release the clutch to engage the stop/start. If the light is going to change or its just a stop sign, just use the clutch and the stop/start doesn't engage. It's great.
I wish the ESS on manual transmission was activated by pressing the brake like in automatic. I feel that riding the clutch even for half a minute may not be good for the longevity of the clutch. I would rather shorten the life of the starter than the clutch - because clutch repair is more expensive and is not covered by extended warranty.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
My last jeep was a 2008 JKUR 3.5L/auto, my '16 Ram is an 8 spd auto----

It took me about 250 miles to learn the "TIMING/CLUTCH/THROTTLE/SHIFT--and now it's a learned (forced learn) response--

Smooth/no noise/no bog--EASY SHIFT !

W.E.

JIMBO

GoGators353

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I don’t understand, the ESS makes you hold the clutch in for 30 seconds? Why don’t you just wait until you would normally press the clutch, ESS is quick.

Other opinion is to just tap the clutch to engage ESS.

I wish the ESS on manual transmission was activated by pressing the brake like in automatic. I feel that riding the clutch even for half a minute may not be good for the longevity of the clutch. I would rather shorten the life of the starter than the clutch - because clutch repair is more expensive and is not covered by extended warranty.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I don’t understand, the ESS makes you hold the clutch in for 30 seconds? Why don’t you just wait until you would normally press the clutch, ESS is quick.

Other opinion is to just tap the clutch to engage ESS.
No, that is not what I meant.
ESS starts the car immediately, with a gentle tap on the clutch.
But ESS is activated even if I stop the car for a couple of seconds. In fact it is activated even before it completely stops. That is annoying.
My comment was based on FUBAR's post on keeping the clutch pressed for stops which may be less than a minute to avoid activating ESS for short stops. Unless you keep the clutch pedal pressed, there is no way to avoid ESS kicking in immediately.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
The NEW 6-spd manual is difficult enough to learn for a "LEAN MACHUNE SHIFT"--

Since you have to LEARN as "REFLEX" the clutch/throttle/shift sequence--just turn off the ESS when you start, or use one of the ESS "DISABLE" OPTIONS AVAILABLE--

I don't use any ofem, When I start my JLR the ESS is automatically turned off--Heh Heh--Hand control !

W.E.

JIMBO

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, how are you guys today?

Probably should of asked this in the questions that don't deserve there own thread, but also figure I'm probably not the only one whose new to the jeep experience here and there are others who've been in this boat willing to chime in.

Stated before in an earlier thread (Clutch gang) that I found the initial uptake a bit abrupt and that I'm use to my Audi, which is quicker and smoother. I'm just wondering at what point would I get use to where it'd catch and smooth it out.

As stated before, never really owned a manual Jeep before, so I haven't was use to the uptake, and other than that, really liked it.

Thanks for taking a look,

Rogue
Took me about a week and a half truth be told but I’ve driven sticks my entire life

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
its rough in the beginning (1st to 2nd), give it a month or two and you'll be smooth..... promise.

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if you have the clutch pressed to the floor you arent 'riding' it and you arent wearing it, either.
riding a clutch means keeping it partially engaged by leaving your foot on it while driving or slipping it to stay on a hill.
keep in mind how a clutch works. think of the clutch.. theres a big round disc that is attached directly to the engine that spins all the time at engine speed. now, the transmission is attached to a big round disc with a sandpaper-like grippy surface. when your foot is off the clutch, heavy springs press that grippy disc with great force against the disc attached to the motor.. and off you go. when you press the clutch, a lever is pushed which forces those springs back and separates the two. so, when the two are pressed together firmy, there is no wear. when the two are separated, there is no wear. it is when you partially press the pedal that the spring pressure is reduced and the the 2 discs can slip, causing heat and wear. THAT is riding a clutch.
so, foot off the pedal=no wear. pedal to the floor=no wear
lazy foot on the pedal while you drive=wear to all clutch components
partial clutch pressure slipping clutch to stay on a hill=wear to all clutch components
how fast you release the clutch will also affect clutch disc life. first gear you release slowly to slip it for a smooth take off. but all other gear changes are quick to increase disc life

Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
You aren't riding the clutch if you have the pedal fully pressed, or have the transmission in neutral with very slight pressure on the clutch pedal (just enough to activate switch used by ESS). In the first case, the pressure plate should be fully disengaged so you should not see any appreciable wear on the friction plate (I often sit like this at a stop light I think will be short in my VW and I have about 160k miles on the original clutch and it's still good). In the second case, there is very little load on the clutch (being in neutral) and the amount of pressure on the clutch pedal to activate the switch is so little, I don't think it is even affecting the pressure plate.

Last edited:

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Thank you both for clearing this up that fully depressed clutch on a short stop causes no wear to the clutch plate.
So I guess when pulling into my garage through an inclined driveway or backing out in reverse gear where it is impossible to fully release the clutch pedal, the best practice would be to release the pedal a little bit to give it some motion, and then fully depressing (doing this a few times) rather than partially releasing the pedal to control?

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
When you have the clutch pressed all the way to the floor, there's no REAL WEAR on the clutch/pressure plate---but

When you do that and I don't recommend that, you are decreasing the life of the THROWOUT BEARING and decreasing the life of the HYDRAULIC PUMP/FTG.S AND LINE--

My philosophy has ALWAYS been to use the clutch--ONLY IF/WHEN NECESSARY--

You don't have a WARRANTY on the clutch/throwout brg/system--unless of course they are deficient when new !

Ain't jeepin fun ?

w.e.

JIMBO

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Thank you both for clearing this up that fully depressed clutch on a short stop causes no wear to the clutch plate.
So I guess when pulling into my garage through an inclined driveway or backing out in reverse gear where it is impossible to fully release the clutch pedal, the best practice would be to release the pedal a little bit to give it some motion, and then fully depressing (doing this a few times) rather than partially releasing the pedal to control?
I wouldn't worry about it.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
It took a short while to get used to the hydraulics...about a month or so. I'm also more accustomed to shorter throws, but the JL stick kinda grew on me.
Sponsored