Sponsored

Quick Question, how long does it take to get use to the clutch?

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
  • Banned
Hey, how are you guys today?

Probably should of asked this in the questions that don't deserve there own thread, but also figure I'm probably not the only one whose new to the jeep experience here and there are others who've been in this boat willing to chime in.

Stated before in an earlier thread (Clutch gang) that I found the initial uptake a bit abrupt and that I'm use to my Audi, which is quicker and smoother. I'm just wondering at what point would I get use to where it'd catch and smooth it out.

As stated before, never really owned a manual Jeep before, so I haven't was use to the uptake, and other than that, really liked it.

Thanks for taking a look,

Rogue
Sponsored

GoGators353

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Funny you mention this, I was just telling my wife the other night that I don't think I could ever get this thing to shift too smoothly but it's a Jeep.

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Funny you mention this, I was just telling my wife the other night that I don't think I could ever get this thing to shift too smoothly but it's a Jeep.
Glad to see it's not just me. Plan B is a viable aftermarket clutch that's smoother, even if it engages quicker, just hopefully someone out there has been there/done that and can chime in in that regard

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Should add I've driven manual for the last 4 years, took my A4 from Jersey to NH twice, drive it around NYC and the surrounding area's for work and while it's now a weekend car, still love driving it.

This is probably blasphemous to say around here, but driven both the 2nd and 3rd gen Taco's and found their clutches a lot smoother to operate (6spds), so wonder why the JL's clutch isn't smoother when they refined it compared to the JK

NCSUSTATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
You’ll probably get used to the clutch faster than you get used to the start-stop!

Sponsored

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
I drove my manual JK for 6 years and 102k+ miles. I have no issues getting the JL to shift smoothly. The new manual is vastly better than the outgoing JK manual. Vastly. Like doesn't even compare. That said, if you're used to driving a car, the seating position is much different in the JL or any similar vehicle for that matter. I have a hard time producing a smooth ride in a manual car because I'm just not used to that seating position. My guess is that after a couple of weeks feeling it out, you'll program your brain/body to handle it just fine. Loving mine!

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I drove my manual JK for 6 years and 102k+ miles. I have no issues getting the JL to shift smoothly. The new manual is vastly better than the outgoing JK manual. Vastly. Like doesn't even compare. That said, if you're used to driving a car, the seating position is much different in the JL or any similar vehicle for that matter. I have a hard time producing a smooth ride in a manual car because I'm just not used to that seating position. My guess is that after a couple of weeks feeling it out, you'll program your brain/body to handle it just fine. Loving mine!
I agree with this completely and also coming from 2 manual JK's and the JL manual is nothing like them. I've had mine for about a week and I feel comfortable with it now. The first day took a little getting used to but I've loving the change so far. Also for some reason it feels like it has more power, has to be the transmission I guess.

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
That's good, especially since I've seen on youtube what to pull to disable s/s
I don't mind the Stop/Start on the manual to be honest as its not very intrusive. If I know the light just changed and will be a min, I'll switch to neutral and release the clutch to engage the stop/start. If the light is going to change or its just a stop sign, just use the clutch and the stop/start doesn't engage. It's great.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
less than 5 min and i haven't driven a stick in 20 years but maybe thats why i have no premuscle memory to confuse me.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
It really varies per person. I've driven numerous manuals with 3 on the tree, 4 speed, 5 speed, 6 speeds. The vehicles I've driven ranged from a deuce and a half to a Mustang GT to a 1979 IH box truck. I get used to them rather quickly. Then again, I've driven sticks about 25 years now. I've taught many people how to drive a manual and it always varies with the person. Just take the time to feel the clutch very carefully while your engaging and disengaging. It takes time but you'll get used to it..

You’ll probably get used to the clutch faster than you get used to the start-stop!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I laugh because its damn true.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I haven't driven a manual in 16 years. The last one was a Jeep YJ. While I thought that had a good transmission it was very different. The JLU shifts more like a car.

I have struggled a little bit with first. It takes up so quickly and wants you to shift so quickly it is just hard to get it smoothed out. I admit I had some stalls the first day or two trying to find the sweet spot on it.

After just 4-5 days it is already getting better. But I think the way the Jeep is tuned for off-road it will be hard to get it as smooth as a european sedan.

The other gear I am struggling with is 6th. Basically as near as I can tell I would have to be cruising over 75 for it to be even useful. Am I missing something?

I have also found the manual to be a good companion to the ESS. With the manual you can really drive the Start Stop just by using the clutch.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It won't take long, especially if you drive it every day. My JK is exactly the opposite, with LONG takeup and engagement right before the pedal is all the way out. I sometimes drive them on alternating days, so I really feel the difference. I've found it easier to transition from JK to JL than from the JL to JK, especially when going up my driveway from a stop. (The hill start assist makes the JL ridiculously easy.)

Once I got used to it, I pretty quickly decided I like the feel of it better than most clutches I've ever driven.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
:cwl:Now, that’s a “Jeep thing” for sure. :like:

TrassaE95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Porsche Macan
It took me less than my ride home from Koons to get used to it. I was previously driving everything from standard pickups to sports cars, to regular cars, but al in manuals. Other than my wife’s current car, everything has always been a manual. This one felt super natural.

That being said, I agree 100% with the poster who said seating position in the Jeep is the thing to get used to, more than the clutch. Going from a German car (an A4 I’d a beautiful vehicle btw!) to a body on frame vehicle will take some getting used to, but you will be shifting smoothly in no time!
Sponsored