Sponsored

Quick Question, how long does it take to get use to the clutch?

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
When you have the clutch pressed all the way to the floor, there's no REAL WEAR on the clutch/pressure plate---but

When you do that and I don't recommend that, you are decreasing the life of the THROWOUT BEARING and decreasing the life of the HYDRAULIC PUMP/FTG.S AND LINE--

My philosophy has ALWAYS been to use the clutch--ONLY IF/WHEN NECESSARY--

You don't have a WARRANTY on the clutch/throwout brg/system--unless of course they are deficient when new !

Ain't jeepin fun ?

w.e.

JIMBO
I agree with this. On my last Jeep my throwout bearings wore out before my clutch (but I replaced both at the same time). I used to hold the clutch in at all stops.

Now I hold the clutch in for short stops but release it fully when I think it will be a while. The guys at “Car Talk” said the same thing about the throwout bearings.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I agree with this. On my last Jeep my throwout bearings wore out before my clutch (but I replaced both at the same time). I used to hold the clutch in at all stops.

Now I hold the clutch in for short stops but release it fully when I think it will be a while. The guys at “Car Talk” said the same thing about the throwout bearings.
That works well with ESS too.

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
I drive ten and 12 speed heavy equipment in the yard at work now, had one stall. Before that I worked on jeeps from 42 to 18 and from stock to absolutely jackass extreme, plus a plethora of other 4wds, in 5 years I probably had 3 stalls. Test drove a jl manual and killed it every time I put it in 1st or reverse. I’ve been driving manual transmissions for 21 years, jl has the strangest clutch release I’ve ever felt.
Sponsored