Sponsored

Quick Poll II - Why Are You Not Taking Your Top Off? Hardtop/Soft Top/Freedom Tops??

Why Are You Not Taking Off Your Top?

• I dont know how to take them off (no judgement)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JoFoCoCo

First Name
Josef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Metallic hardtop
Camping with habituated bears...

JL doors are easier to open vs JK if you lack opposable thumbs. But soft top are like popping open a Pringles can

Middle St. Vrain near Nederland, CO 2019-08-19

20190820_063556.jpg
Sponsored

spud

First Name
DW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler rubicon

johnrb3b

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeeps-folbots-etc.epizy.com
Vehicle(s)
'54 CJ-3B '57 Station Wagon 2019JL
Occupation
retired
I'm old with sensitive eyes. Glare is a really big problem for me. The only time I go topless is in my 1946 CJ-2A for parades. All my other Willys and modern Jeeps keep their tops to protect my eyes. I wear a wide brim hat and sunglasses while inside the Jeep with the top on and use the sun visors a lot.
In 10 years, the only time the top has been off of the JK was to install the Hot Head headliners.
So
I take the doors off whenever I can. One nice, dry summer I drove to work with no doors for two months. It was awesome. Tube doors, yeah.
And the best part, my old tube doors from the JK fit the new JL. Woohoo!

side_view_800.jpg

tube_door.jpg

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Where's the poll choice for "it's pouring out"? (Pacific Northwet). I get maybe three months of clear skies in a good year. Also, yeah, driving to work and parking outside, I won't take the time to futz with the top... But I would on the way home.

Maz7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My Tj got stolen back in the days in 2005. Ever since , I always keep the hardtop on. I do take it off , but rarly. Only for special occasions and no more than one night.

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
LOL, I can't even pretend to take credit for that one. There is even a "Jeep hair, don't care" expression :)
Now that I have my Jeep when it is not 100 and 110 Heat Index I run my Sky Power top open. You mentioned Jeep hair. I have even gone as far as to Get a HIGH & Tight hair cut now. I got tired of hair blowing all over my head. Hats bother my head so don't wear them much. One already blew off going 75 on the freeway. Poof, it's gone. :rock: Can't wait till Texas Winter !! Our normal high for today is 88 it's 98 today. Too hot for Sept 17th

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Truck Driver
I take the top and doors off on the weekends. I would love to leave them off all the time but where I work it sits in the open and I canā€™t see it, and the one time I did take it to work naked I had a coworker tell me that someone was sitting in the passenger seat taking selfieā€™s

4FA4571A-DC37-4835-8CA9-87874AFFFF25.jpeg

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Had a hard top TJ. Top was too heavy so I only took it off for one summer. When I had people help me lift the top back on a family of spiders built a home underneath it. I had arachnophobia back then.

I knew I would get another wrangler one day and I told myself I would never buy a hard top again. I didnā€™t enjoy my TJ because I never took the top off and since I donā€™t off road the Wranglers are all about being convertibles for me.

Soft tops are not easy to find so I ordered one. I love my Sunrider soft top!! First thing I did when I brought it home was yank the windows out. Iā€™ve been driving safari mode the entire two weeks Iā€™ve had it with the exception of a few days I had to put the windows back in because of rain. The windows are currently in now because it will rain here till Friday so I am blue.

I hate the sun on me so Iā€™ll pull the top back only during summer nights. Iā€™m throughly enjoying safari mode right now! I get open air and still feel like I have privacy. Oh and the windows are ridiculously easy to take in and out.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
We have a hardtop for our 2013 JKU. It has been in storage for Eight years at least. We run a premium Trektop NX on it and it spends allot of time down just not as often in winter. We have another Hardtop from our 2015 JKUR that has been hanging in the garage for Six years. That Jeep was totaled with the Trektop pro. (loved that top).
Our 2018 JLUR was purchased with only the premium soft top. we didn't need another hardtop hanging around somewhere. Just ordered my wife a JLR with premium soft top only. Had I thought about it a bit more, would have ordered it with just the standard and purchased a Trektop pro for it.
In all cases we run top down as often as practical here in Texas, then completely remove it on long weekends. We carry Rain Gear jeep covers in those cases.
I will say though we learned a hard lesson doing a Pollo Duro jeep jamboree 10 years ago. We ran topless and to this day I can root around under the carpet and still find red dust from that adventure.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
My hope is to run tube doors and a safari top in the summer. Until then, the top stays fully on along with the doors.

Sponsored

bradcrc

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I just don't have the headspace in the garage. I have a 2 car garage but the second spot is where I have all table saw, work bench, and other tools set up. If I had a garage with a taller ceiling, it would come off all the time. And she ain't getting parked outside.
I know this is an old post, but that's not an insurmountable issue. I have a very low ceiling in my garage -- only about 3 inches of headspace above my jeep.

I back into the garage, use ratchet straps to lift the top about 2 inches, and then drive out. Then I just drive nose-in while the top is off. The top is nearly touching the ceiling, suspended from the straps and the jeep is parked under it the other direction.

When it's time to put the top back on, just back under it again, and lower it onto the Jeep, quick and fairly painless.

I'm on my 4th Jeep in this same garage over the past 20 years, and have been doing it the same way for each of them. Only difference is that hard tops have gotten a ton lighter now than they used to be back in the YJ days.

Maybe not ideal, maybe wrong to do that, I dunno, but it's worked for me for years, and my garage is very small and short. One time I drove in too far and a bit crooked and scratched my hood on the top, but that's not bad for 20+ years of doing this.

I can't even imagine owning a jeep and not having the top and doors off when it's gorgeous outside. I get sad thinking about it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
When I want to drop the top, this is my go-to vehicle for that. It literally takes three seconds to lower and raise the top.

Jeep Wrangler JL Quick Poll II - Why Are You Not Taking Your Top Off? Hardtop/Soft Top/Freedom Tops?? 90C84F2C-A125-4F4B-9051-0325CB77D28A

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I know this is an old post, but that's not an insurmountable issue. I have a very low ceiling in my garage -- only about 3 inches of headspace above my jeep.

I back into the garage, use ratchet straps to lift the top about 2 inches, and then drive out. Then I just drive nose-in while the top is off. The top is nearly touching the ceiling, suspended from the straps and the jeep is parked under it the other direction.

When it's time to put the top back on, just back under it again, and lower it onto the Jeep, quick and fairly painless.

I'm on my 4th Jeep in this same garage over the past 20 years, and have been doing it the same way for each of them. Only difference is that hard tops have gotten a ton lighter now than they used to be back in the YJ days.

Maybe not ideal, maybe wrong to do that, I dunno, but it's worked for me for years, and my garage is very small and short. One time I drove in too far and a bit crooked and scratched my hood on the top, but that's not bad for 20+ years of doing this.

I can't even imagine owning a jeep and not having the top and doors off when it's gorgeous outside. I get sad thinking about it.
My post didnā€™t age well. I now have a much bigger garage and 13 foot ceilings and have no desire to remove the top now. Itā€™s to windy in Nebraska to drive without the top. I did with my old TJ and absolutely hated all the cross winds. With all the humidity we have in the summer I donā€™t care to sweat in my car sitting at a stop light.

bradcrc

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
have no desire to remove the top now. Itā€™s to windy in Nebraska to drive without the top. I did with my old TJ and absolutely hated all the cross winds. With all the humidity we have in the summer I donā€™t care to sweat in my car sitting at a stop light.
We are very different people. šŸ˜

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
I don't want to take my top off. I might take the doors off, but I have had skin cancer 6 times, and get stuff frozen on me every three months, so the sun is not my friend. Plus, I don't have the room to store the removed parts in my garage.
Sponsored