Sponsored

Quick! Dealer made mistake. what to do

ttsquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Just took JLUR to dealer for first service. It is the dealer where I purchased my Jeep. Getting oil changed and tires rotated. Also looking at Uconnect because maps were saying I was 3 hours away from where I actually was.
First issue- service department did over fill my oil. When they gave my receipt to me, it said 6 qts. I asked if they put in 6 qts and they confirmed that. I then told them the manual says 5 qts so I asked him to explain why the manual says one thing but they do something else. He then looked at something on the computer, excused himself, and went to talk to someone. When he came back, he stated I was correct and it did call for 5 qts. At this point service manager come up and a tech goes and checks the dipstick. The oil level is about 3/8 inch past fill mark on the cable part of dipstick. The tech asks if I would like him to drain some of it and I state I do. Manager apologizes while tech drains some oil out.
At this point no big problem. I was aware of this potential mistake, caught it and they fixed it. Yes, they are supposed to be professionals, but we are all human. No need to get my blood pressure all worked up.
I get in vehicle and check Uconnect. First time connecting, it did put me in the desert, 3 hrs away! I immediately unplug iPhone, shutdown Waze and maps and reconnect. It appears that it is working. It shows me on the map right where I should be. I do this a couple more times even shutting off the Jeep and it works good every time.
Ok! Now leaving for home, which is 40 minutes away. I’m going thru the instrument cluster looking at oil pressure, which is fine and then look at tire pressure. On the service receipt, it stated that tires were rotated and set to 35psi. The tires are still not up to normal temperatures so I’m not too concerned but as I keep driving, the pressure is the same as it was before I had the car service! While driving to dealership, I looked at pressure and driver rear tire was 37 while other three were 42,42,41. Now that tire are normal operating temp, I have the same pressures in the same place!
Those aholes!! They didn’t touch my tires!
Now I’m mad. It’s not a safety issue or anything but what else is the dealer not going to do that they say they did??
I should have turned around and let them have it, but I’m trying to get home and traffic is heavy on the freeway now so I wait to call till I’m home.
Here’s the kicker now

I get home and am getting things out of my Jeep that I left in the Jeep while being serviced and notice a long scratch from middle of rear driver door over rear fender to almost the brake!
WHAT THE HELL!?!

I’ve called three times for the owner, who I saw there while I was there, with no call back yet.

Other than just chewing out his service department, what can I do and say to him to make this right?

Sorry for long post. Just want you guys to get the whole story.

TTS
Sponsored

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I'll be honest...and this is just MY personal opinion. The only thing I would probably be truly aggravated at would be the scratch. And even then, I would have to be sure that it wasn't there before (and I just didn't notice it). As long as the oil level is correct now, that one was corrected. As for the tire pressures, honestly....I would just go set them where you want them. I just wouldn't allow myself to get upset over that one. And certainly wouldn't have made me want to go back to the dealer. Now, the scratch is a different story. If I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt they did it, I would let them know, and let them know you are taking it to a detailer to polish out (assuming it's not down to the metal). If it's down to the metal, and again...I knew they did it...I would speak to the manager about fixing. If you don't know for sure that they did it, and it's not down to the metal, I'd just take it to a detailer. And I would find me a new dealer for future work to save you the stress and worry.

It's these kind of things that I avoid dealers whenever possible and do most maintenance work myself.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Recommended tire pressure is 36 psi COLD, dude, so of course the pressure will increase due to friction as you drive.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I'll be honest...and this is just MY personal opinion. The only thing I would probably be truly aggravated at would be the scratch. And even then, I would have to be sure that it wasn't there before (and I just didn't notice it). As long as the oil level is correct now, that one was corrected. As for the tire pressures, honestly....I would just go set them where you want them. I just wouldn't allow myself to get upset over that one. And certainly wouldn't have made me want to go back to the dealer. Now, the scratch is a different story. If I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt they did it, I would let them know, and let them know you are taking it to a detailer to polish out (assuming it's not down to the metal). If it's down to the metal, and again...I knew they did it...I would speak to the manager about fixing. If you don't know for sure that they did it, and it's not down to the metal, I'd just take it to a detailer. And I would find me a new dealer for future work to save you the stress and worry.

It's these kind of things that I avoid dealers whenever possible and do most maintenance work myself.
I agree if he is saying that they just didn’t adjust the pressure ...but if the tire pressures are the same in the same locations then they didn’t rotate them. That would be an issue for me.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I agree if he is saying that they just didn’t adjust the pressure ...but if the tire pressures are the same in the same locations then they didn’t rotate them. That would be an issue for me.
Ahh....I missed that he saying that they didn't rotate the tires. Yes, I would have an issue with that as well. Find a new dealer is my suggestion.

Sponsored

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Recommended tire pressure is 36 psi COLD, dude, so of course the pressure will increase due to friction as you drive.
It will, but it won't jump from 36 to 42.

OP
OP

ttsquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Thanks for your response guys.
Update to the navigation situation- first time I plugged in iPhone, it put me 3 hours away. Unplugged and turned off Jeep. Restarted and everything shows normal. This means issue is not fixed
CAlling dealer this morning to complain and try to get scratch buffed out.
I’ll keep you updated.

TTS

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I'm at a point in car ownership where I'm finding it hard to take my vehicles to any dealer honestly. I'm even thinking of forgetting about my free oil changes and just do it myself. Apparently with the 3.6 its a piece of cake with Oil Filter being up top.

I'd be furious if my jeep got a scratch at the dealer.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I'm at a point in car ownership where I'm finding it hard to take my vehicles to any dealer honestly. I'm even thinking of forgetting about my free oil changes and just do it myself. Apparently with the 3.6 its a piece of cake with Oil Filter being up top.

I'd be furious if my jeep got a scratch at the dealer.
Yep...it's my luck to go in for something free and come out with additional headaches. As such, I will change the oil myself. I know it is done right and with synthetic oil and a good filter.

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I had my dealer rotate my tires and the rear came back like this, I don’t remember if that line was there when I brought it in. Why is that line there? Or is that from the factory and they didn’t rotate it.

C9B463D0-7876-400B-AA66-6F2B2A44680C.jpeg

C0430F1B-98B9-444F-9171-177F0323D860.jpeg

Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
It looks like they did a four tire rotation and left the spare as is. That would account for the line.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Free isn't free when they f it up :(
Factor in the time to take it in, the wait, and the potential for mishaps, DIY is almost always the winner. Plus you get to inspect your vehicle on a semi regular basis, never a bad thing.
G'Luck OP, bummer about that!

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Wanna bet?
No way to prove of course, but what weather have you see that much of a jump? Granted, I've never lived in the desert or in an extreme temperatue climate.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Yeah, they didn't adjust all the tires the same and forgot one. They shouldn't increase 6 psi to 42 hot...it's not a track car.

Having said that, I have had dealers (BMW or others) as well as tire shops mess up rotations, tire direction, inflation. I'd be annoyed by it, but not worried. In fact on the first JL oil change, I got a rotation and didn't rotate the spare as I asked, so I took it back so they could learn. Although sounds like they may have gotten 3 strikes with you in one visit and you try the next dealer for a while.

GL!
Sponsored