KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
As I am finishing out my build plan on my JLUR and taking into consideration the clearance I have with the garage door I keep running into one major issue. If I go with the Rhino Rack backbone can I remove the pioneer platform and the legs when it’s not needed? If that is possible how much do the brackets the legs attach on top of the Jeep stick out?
thanks for your help!
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
You can shave an inch and a half off the height by using the low profile (non quick disconnect) mounts, but then you have to undo the 6 small bolts holding the risers down to take the platform off. It's not a big deal but those bolts are in a tight spot and it adds about 15 minutes over using the QD risers. If you see @Oncorhynchus second picture above, basically that riser he is measuring at about 1.5" is gone with the non-QD setup.

Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
You can shave an inch and a half off the height by using the low profile (non quick disconnect) mounts, but then you have to undo the 6 small bolts holding the risers down to take the platform off. It's not a big deal but those bolts are in a tight spot and it adds about 15 minutes over using the QD risers. If you see @Oncorhynchus second picture above, basically that riser he is measuring at about 1.5" is gone with the non-QD setup.
You definitely get a sleeker look if you use the RCL legs and you don’t have to worry about getting the caps knocked off in the drive through car wash.

9681AEAA-4108-457B-BB4B-054FDA8ED286.jpeg

dmasini

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport Altitude
I have a Backbone system with the Vortex bars on the way and I had a question about the install. Is this Butyl ok to use? I've noticed different types and a friend had an extra tube of this one he gave me. Just wanted to be sure I use the right stuff. Thanks for any response.

Jeep Wrangler JL Questions on the Rhino Rack Backbone 20210301_155511

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I have a Backbone system with the Vortex bars on the way and I had a question about the install. Is this Butyl ok to use? I've noticed different types and a friend had an extra tube of this one he gave me. Just wanted to be sure I use the right stuff. Thanks for any response.

Jeep Wrangler JL Questions on the Rhino Rack Backbone 20210301_155511
That should be fine.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Great. Thank you, appreciate the response!
No problem. I used the same stuff but a different brand, has held up fine and no leaking. Some people have used straight silicone sealant with no issues. Warning, that that Butyl stuff is like anti seize, once you get a tiny bit on you it will be everywhere so handle with caution.
Sponsored

Last edited: