First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport Unlimited (JLU)
Occupation
Data Analysis, Photographer
I tried searching for this, but I was unsuccessful in finding a thread. I have a JLU Sport and I want to upgrade the bumper, but I had a couple questions.

The rubicon steel bumper should come with the bumper, air dam and skid plate (correct me if i'm wrong). Will all of this adapt to the JLU without a problem (assuming so)? Also, is the air damn and skid plate necessary? I have seen some for sale posts that are the bumper only, bumper and air dam and of course posts that include everything. My question is, if I buy one with just the bumper, am I missing anything major that could be a pain the ass later? Can some give me a little info on what the cons may be?

Led Fogs: if I currently have the standard fog lights, do the LEDs just plug in without an issue or is there another part or piece I will need to make the conversion, like a ballast or something?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
My Rubicon came with the plastic bumper with plastic air dam. Thee was a steel plate protecting electronic swaybar disconnect, but not sure if that comes on non-rubi models (I think it does). (EDIT: SEE VIDEO BELOW AT 5:25 THAT SHOWS REMOVAL OF THIS PLATE)

Upgrading from the plastic to steel bumper is pretty straightforward. The Mopar steel bumper comes with the steel skid plate (instead of the plastic air dam). There is no air dam used with the steel bumper, just the skid plate. Is the skid plate necessary? Probably not if you don't mind seeing all the front suspension bits that show. Or you can keep the original steel plate protecting the swaybar (if yours has the plate).

If you DO use the steel skid plate you need to install (4) rivnuts because the bracket uses different holes than the plastic air dam. Really shouldn't be a problem to add the skid plate later if that is more convenient. The video below by Trail Recon should help alot. Also covers adding a winch should that ever be in your future plans.

Can't comment on the LED fogs and best way to connect, but there are threads around here that cover that pretty thoroughly.

Good luck!

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I didn't get the skid plate when I bought my steel bumper. It was a separate purchase. I bought a JCR instead. You don't have to use anything if you don't want to.

The LED fog lights off a Sahara or Rubicon plastic bumper will work in a steel bumper but you have to use an adapter like this:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/maximus...QsHeOKoydSs6bi87CVK8pozF8VRoKa30aAnNnEALw_wcB

You have a Sport, so I don't know if it uses the same LED fog or not as the plastic bumper Sahara/Rubicon. My guess is no but not sure. The LED fog on the plastic Sahara/Rubicon is a 4-hole screw connection to mount. The wiring could be something different entirely for Sports, and you may need something like a Tazer to deal with configuration.

I will say that the steel bumper I bought from @Quadratec had LEDs already included.

I have my stock Sahara LEDs for sale with some pictures for reference, so maybe you can compare the pics to what you have on yours. The MOPAR part number is in one of the pics (upside down, sorry).

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/led-fog-lights-plus-wiring-160-shipped.27169/

OP
OP

Shakey Graves

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport Unlimited (JLU)
Occupation
Data Analysis, Photographer
Thanks for the responses so far. I wish someone who did a swap like this could give some feedback. I know there are many JL owners buying up the rubi steel bumpers, but I haven't seen anything on them yet.

Kbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU
I installed a steel Rubicon bumper on my Sport with no issues. Regarding a couple of your specific questions, the plug on the Rubicon LED light vs. the Sport halogen light is different so you would need the harness that goes from the lights to the passenger frame rail where the fog light harness plugs in.

For the steel Rubicon skid plate you need to install rivnuts in the frame horns as there aren't any installed for the Sport plastic air dam. The hex shaped hole is there, just no rivnut installed. I did not install a skidplate or air dam and am planning on trimming the lower section of the frame horn eventually to give a little more clearance.

Sponsored

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Thanks for the responses so far. I wish someone who did a swap like this could give some feedback. I know there are many JL owners buying up the rubi steel bumpers, but I haven't seen anything on them yet.
I put a Rubicon Steel bumper on my SportS - no fitment issues and the lights did “Plug and play” but I did have an issue with the fogs flickering a LOT. Dealer flash didn’t help but I got an adapter from a sponsor (if you want the contact info pm me and I’ll dig it out) 5 minutes to install and no flickering

Xpack109

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I put a Rubicon Steel bumper on my SportS - no fitment issues and the lights did “Plug and play” but I did have an issue with the fogs flickering a LOT. Dealer flash didn’t help but I got an adapter from a sponsor (if you want the contact info pm me and I’ll dig it out) 5 minutes to install and no flickering
What kind of adapter? Like a load resistor?

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

And factory programming won’t cure the flickering issue? Or using factory wiring?
Nope - tries both - no success but this worked. Tazer JL might but that’s 320

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
if you are getting the skid plate, you will need four RIVNUTS to install it. The Rivnuts do not come with the skid plate. You can find them here: https://parts.allmoparparts.com/chrysler-complete-mopar-rivnut-6511076aa

They only cost a couple bucks each. Make sure you do some research on how to install them. It can be done with a bolt, washer, and a couple nuts acting as a rivnut tool.

I'm using the Taser JL, with the latest firmware, and I did eliminate flickering from the LED fogs. Of course it does several other things beyond that and Joe keeps upgrading it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The taser is nothing more than programming saved into a storage device for the obd2
Yea but it works better than the dealership, because the dealer is more than likely an absolute moron.

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of threads with answers to many of your questions. I know, because I used them.

Here is one: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-steel-bumper-extra-parts.16508/

1. You can buy the bumper as a stubby, with extensions, or in pieces ("repair parts").
2. If you are going to reuse your tow hooks, fog lights, and don't need the covers for the winch, you can save a bit of money ($1-200, if I recall, but that was almost a year ago) by ordering the parts vs the complete bumper. You should review the schematic and required parts if you go the repair parts route. Schematic is in one of the threads.
3. You will need light brackets. I think this applies to LEDs and standard foglights.
4. The mopar skid plate is not included with either the stubby or extension bumper, as mentioned above you can buy as a kit or in pieces. Less expensive in pieces. The rivnuts are hex shaped, and do not rotate in the frame. You just need to crank down on the mounting nut to compress, back out the nut, repeat 5 times, and then mount the skid plate.

Note if you read the post above, I had intended to go the parts route. I ordered the main bumper "skin" and was actually sent a complete bumper. So I ended up selling the few other parts I acquired.
Sponsored