Questions for those who purchased from Gupton who live outside TN

Steve123

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non yet
Are you serious? Mass doesnt recognize any temp plate from the other 49 states?
Mass doesn't recognize Mass residents using temporary plates from other states. I believe they recognize out of staters using those temp plates.
Sponsored

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
It's so awesome to see the great experiences people are having when they pick up their new rides from Gupton.

In all honestly I was scared to death at first. No signed document from the dealership with pricing, just an Email. Sending a grand into the ether on a car salespersons verbal word (I was dealing with Renee for that part as Daniel was leaving for vacation) was a bit unnerving. I'm past that now seeing all the great posts and soliciting others on their pickup experiences.

I just want to go to all the local dealers and have them go to Guptons for sales training. 🤣

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
Man, kudos to all who get great deals from gupton. It is tempting but I feel the hassle and run around and taking a few days off to fly/drive down and then drive back isn't appealing to me. I may have not got a deal as good as others, but I didn't have to go on a mini road trip to get the jeep of my dreams. I bought local and my drive time is 20 min....simple and easy. I just paid a lil more and Im ok with that ....

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
For those who fly in, is Nashville (BNA) pretty much the only choice? Also, do you take an Uber/Lyft to Springfield? Any other advise is greatly appreciated.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

@rent

We flew into BNA (Nashville). They offered to pick us up, but I wanted to get there right when they opened (8a), so we could get back on the road more quickly and have a leisurely drive back, so we took an Uber out to the dealership. It was ~$37 from the Courtyard Marriott near the airport.

We landed at ~midnight, so we just stayed at the Courtyard Marriott near the airport. If you're coming in at a decent time, you could probably split the ride when you land and stay somewhere closer to downtown. We've been to Nashville a few times so didn't feel the need to hang out this time around. I definitely agree that if you've got the time, Nashville is a fantastic town with tons of great food, music, nightlife, daytime activities, etc.

There's not much around the dealership, though. It gets real country, real quick, lol.

@Cowboy from hell I feel that. We flew in late on a Friday and were home by Sunday afternoon. I was lucky to get free "buddy passes" on Southwest from a friend who works there, and we used CC points to book hotels in Nashville and Little Rock to save a little. If you lived further or didn't have connections, the travel portion could definitely add up quick and destroy any savings you might be getting.

Assuming I had paid cash for flights, hotels, food, etc, the whole "travel" part of the purchase would have cost ~$1,000, which is roughly equivalent to 2% off invoice. So if I could have gotten a local dealer to even give me 6% off invoice, I'd have come out equal. Unfortunately, the best deal I could get from any of the local dealers that I pinged was 1% off invoice. For me, all-in, I saved ~$6.5K buying from Gupton vs local.

Sponsored

Steve123

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non yet
@rent

We flew into BNA (Nashville). They offered to pick us up, but I wanted to get there right when they opened (8a), so we could get back on the road more quickly and have a leisurely drive back, so we took an Uber out to the dealership. It was ~$37 from the Courtyard Marriott near the airport.

We landed at ~midnight, so we just stayed at the Courtyard Marriott near the airport. If you're coming in at a decent time, you could probably split the ride when you land and stay somewhere closer to downtown. We've been to Nashville a few times so didn't feel the need to hang out this time around. I definitely agree that if you've got the time, Nashville is a fantastic town with tons of great food, music, nightlife, daytime activities, etc.

There's not much around the dealership, though. It gets real country, real quick, lol.

@Cowboy from hell I feel that. We flew in late on a Friday and were home by Sunday afternoon. I was lucky to get free "buddy passes" on Southwest from a friend who works there, and we used CC points to book hotels in Nashville and Little Rock to save a little. If you lived further or didn't have connections, the travel portion could definitely add up quick and destroy any savings you might be getting.

Assuming I had paid cash for flights, hotels, food, etc, the whole "travel" part of the purchase would have cost ~$1,000, which is roughly equivalent to 2% off invoice. So if I could have gotten a local dealer to even give me 6% off invoice, I'd have come out equal. Unfortunately, the best deal I could get from any of the local dealers that I pinged was 1% off invoice. For me, all-in, I saved ~$6.5K buying from Gupton vs local.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I totally get not wanting the hassle. For me, the flight down, seeing Nashville, getting the new jeep, and driving back, is the part I’m looking forward to. Just need to figure out this Massachusetts plate thing, which is annoying. My jeep is built and is supposed to ship this week so I’ll try to post anything I learn about the process for those Mass residents doing the same.

OP
OP
MJKid88

MJKid88

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Occupation
HVAC
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I totally get not wanting the hassle. For me, the flight down, seeing Nashville, getting the new jeep, and driving back, is the part I’m looking forward to. Just need to figure out this Massachusetts plate thing, which is annoying. My jeep is built and is supposed to ship this week so I’ll try to post anything I learn about the process for those Mass residents doing the same.
Steve, I just confirmed with my insurance agent here in MA, that the temp plate will get you pulled over if an eagle-eyed state cop sees a TN temp plate. Getting MA plates in time for delivery is going to be a tremendous pain in the ass.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Steve, I just confirmed with my insurance agent here in MA, that the temp plate will get you pulled over if an eagle-eyed state cop sees a TN temp plate. Getting MA plates in time for delivery is going to be a tremendous pain in the ass.
Just a thought...not sure if this is at all possible...are you getting rid of a car? If so, can you transfer plates (thus take your current plates down with you to TN) and put them on the new Jeep? I've transferred plates before but only on dealer trade-ins.

Steve123

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non yet
Just a thought...not sure if this is at all possible...are you getting rid of a car? If so, can you transfer plates (thus take your current plates down with you to TN) and put them on the new Jeep? I've transferred plates before but only on dealer trade-ins.
Yes—this is indeed the solution for a lot of people. Unfortunately, I’m not selling a car, so I can’t do the transfer.

Steve123

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non yet
Yeah :/. The temp plates are basically a no-go. But I actually don’t think registering it prior to going down will be that bad, as long as the folks at Gupton are okay with some flexibility. My plan is to see if I can fedex them payment with a return envelope for the title. I found this pretty good explanation on the process on reddit (and confirmed it with my insurance company):

Sponsored

Canyonero02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green JLUR
I'm in Illinois and drove home on temp plates from Gupton. When I got the paperwork needed to register in IL 2 weeks later I went to the currency exchange and switched my old plates over and paid the sales tax that was due. That sucks about the temp tags in MA, sounds like a pain in the ass.

One thing I was unaware of until after I was already signing the paperwork was that Gupton will charge you sales tax and then reimburse you with a check when they mail your paperwork. It's not a big deal but that's now part of my loan. I was planning on just paying the sales tax when registering here, kind of a down payment. I'm not sure if that's part of their state law or if you can get that removed. I didn't feel like waiting around for the paperwork to be amended so I just went with it.

Steve123

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non yet
I'm in Illinois and drove home on temp plates from Gupton. When I got the paperwork needed to register in IL 2 weeks later I went to the currency exchange and switched my old plates over and paid the sales tax that was due. That sucks about the temp tags in MA, sounds like a pain in the ass.

One thing I was unaware of until after I was already signing the paperwork was that Gupton will charge you sales tax and then reimburse you with a check when they mail your paperwork. It's not a big deal but that's now part of my loan. I was planning on just paying the sales tax when registering here, kind of a down payment. I'm not sure if that's part of their state law or if you can get that removed. I didn't feel like waiting around for the paperwork to be amended so I just went with it.
Thank you. I was wondering about that tax issue, since the person in the reddit post I linked to earlier also mentioned that. Seems it is the normal process then. Good to know!

OP
OP
MJKid88

MJKid88

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Occupation
HVAC
Not transferring, I need new plates.

PHX2IAD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I ordered my 4XE from Gupton. I live in Virginia. Hands down the best car buying experience I've ever had. I am a sales manager for a dealership and use my experience as training for my own sales team.

How long before delivery did Daniel contact you to begin the paperwork/credit check process?
I reached out to Daniel for an update and he told me my Jeep had shipped and followed up with links to their online credit app. I had a rate from USAA and was also kicking around the idea of leasing but he got me a great rate through Chase so I ended up buying the Jeep.

Massachusetts insurance companies don’t recognize the TN temporary plate...How was the RMV plate process for you? Was it all done vis FedEx?
I did the paperwork via DocuSign/Fedex with Daniel. I received a Tennessee title with the Chase lien perfected a week or two after I got the Jeep. They also sent me a check for the tax/tag fees they setup on the deal. I set an appointment with the Virginia DMV and walked out with tags a half hour later.

As I said, I work in the automotive business and selling cars to customers in MA is a pain. You're going to need to finalize your deal, wait for Gupton to send you the title so you can take it to your insurance person to have the title/tagwork finalized. Then you'll be able to take delivery. You can also look into third party tag and title services that can handle the process for you.

I had arranged to have my Jeep shipped to my home so no recommendations for lunch. But best of luck and enjoy the new Jeep!
Sponsored