Sponsored

Questions for those who purchased from Gupton who live outside TN

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I ordered my 4XE from Gupton. I live in Virginia. Hands down the best car buying experience I've ever had. I am a sales manager for a dealership and use my experience as training for my own sales team.

How long before delivery did Daniel contact you to begin the paperwork/credit check process?
I reached out to Daniel for an update and he told me my Jeep had shipped and followed up with links to their online credit app. I had a rate from USAA and was also kicking around the idea of leasing but he got me a great rate through Chase so I ended up buying the Jeep.

Massachusetts insurance companies don’t recognize the TN temporary plate...How was the RMV plate process for you? Was it all done vis FedEx?
I did the paperwork via DocuSign/Fedex with Daniel. I received a Tennessee title with the Chase lien perfected a week or two after I got the Jeep. They also sent me a check for the tax/tag fees they setup on the deal. I set an appointment with the Virginia DMV and walked out with tags a half hour later.

As I said, I work in the automotive business and selling cars to customers in MA is a pain. You're going to need to finalize your deal, wait for Gupton to send you the title so you can take it to your insurance person to have the title/tagwork finalized. Then you'll be able to take delivery. You can also look into third party tag and title services that can handle the process for you.

I had arranged to have my Jeep shipped to my home so no recommendations for lunch. But best of luck and enjoy the new Jeep!
Out of curiosity? What brand does your dealership sell?
Sponsored

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
One thing I was unaware of until after I was already signing the paperwork was that Gupton will charge you sales tax and then reimburse you with a check when they mail your paperwork. It's not a big deal but that's now part of my loan. I was planning on just paying the sales tax when registering here, kind of a down payment. I'm not sure if that's part of their state law or if you can get that removed. I didn't feel like waiting around for the paperwork to be amended so I just went with it.
It's interesting that they roll your state vehicle sales tax into your loan. You are essentially paying interest on that sales tax. I'm curious if the loan doc specify any pre-payment penalty. If not, and since you were planning on paying the sales tax outright, you can pay down your loan to avoid the unnecessary interest charge.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I am interested to hear if everyone is paying them sales tax at signing. I have never done that before and have been buying cars out of state for a long time, tho not TN.

I received this from the dealership before I purchased, but I assumed it meant I would pay when I went to get my license plate in my home state, like I always have.

I am paying cash this time, so I don't know if that makes a difference or if you don't finance through them, but your own provider.

Screenshot_20210802-221254_Chrome.jpg

Canyonero02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green JLUR
It's interesting that they roll your state vehicle sales tax into your loan. You are essentially paying interest on that sales tax. I'm curious if the loan doc specify any pre-payment penalty. If not, and since you were planning on paying the sales tax outright, you can pay down your loan to avoid the unnecessary interest charge.
I know, I pay extra every month anyway but it was still something I was unaware of until I was there. I don't know if it's a requirement or just something they do. A friend of mine, also in IL, bought an F-350 from WI and the dealer did the same thing. He got a check in the mail a couple weeks later reimbursing him.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Same here, but I preferred that. My interest rate was only 2.59%, so interest on $3K in taxes is ~$80. If I'd had to pay the sales tax out of pocket, it would have come out of my "Jeep Budget", which obviously would be undesirable.

Sponsored

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Same here, but I preferred that. My interest rate was only 2.59%, so interest on $3K in taxes is ~$80. If I'd had to pay the sales tax out of pocket, it would have come out of my "Jeep Budget", which obviously would be undesirable.
Depending on the term of your loan, without pre-payment, the amount of interest you end up paying on that $3K:

* 7-year: ~$280
* 5-year: ~$200
* 3-year: ~$120

Of course, it's your money and spend it however you like. I just want to point out the true cost so people can make rational decisions.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Depending on the term of your loan, without pre-payment, the amount of interest you end up paying on that $3K:

* 7-year: ~$280
* 5-year: ~$200
* 3-year: ~$120

Of course, it's your money and spend it however you like. I just want to point out the true cost so people can make rational decisions.
Thanks for the math - I always forget about that dang compounded interest, lol. And yes, it's good to have correct numbers so you can make a good decision.

For me, it'd be either pay an extra $120 over the next few years, or pay $3K out of my $5.5K "first mods budget" right now. Easy decision.

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Ya, gonna be awhile for me. XR package but I def prefer to pay my taxes when I register in Arkansas. I need to find out from Daniel if this is required that I pay at the dealer when signing. I sold my truck June 26th. Arkansas gives you 45 days to get a new rig to take advantage of the tax credit. Either pay 6.5% on $55k or $19k the difference between what I sold my truck for and sales price. The tax credit is something I need to get and I will. Of course my Jeep won't arrive until way past 45 days. No big. Talk to the DMV and I can use my sold order as my purchase date. So I'm good. It will just work a lot simpler if I can do all of this at my DMV. Trying to explain and convince Guptons finance guy that I don't owe $3,500 in taxes, I owe $1,200. No way they get it right mailing me a check two weeks later. I get it. Have to use their financing to get the full discount. The more we roll into the financed price, the happier the finance company is. It will just work cleaner if I do taxes back home. I guess I need to find out.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Ya, gonna be awhile for me. XR package but I def prefer to pay my taxes when I register in Arkansas. I need to find out from Daniel if this is required that I pay at the dealer when signing. I sold my truck June 26th. Arkansas gives you 45 days to get a new rig to take advantage of the tax credit. Either pay 6.5% on $55k or $19k the difference between what I sold my truck for and sales price. The tax credit is something I need to get and I will. Of course my Jeep won't arrive until way past 45 days. No big. Talk to the DMV and I can use my sold order as my purchase date. So I'm good. It will just work a lot simpler if I can do all of this at my DMV. Trying to explain and convince Guptons finance guy that I don't owe $3,500 in taxes, I owe $1,200. No way they get it right mailing me a check two weeks later. I get it. Have to use their financing to get the full discount. The more we roll into the financed price, the happier the finance company is. It will just work cleaner if I do taxes back home. I guess I need to find out.
Dealers care more about the rate. Gupton or any dealer makes money selling the loan and on the spread between the wholesale interest rate and the retail interest rate.

Its definitely worth a call to Gupton's business manager before hand. It's possible they can work out what you need on their end? They do thousands of deals a year. They have seen almost everything.

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Dealers care more about the rate. Gupton or any dealer makes money selling the loan and on the spread between the wholesale interest rate and the retail interest rate.

Its definitely worth a call to Gupton's business manager before hand. It's possible they can work out what you need on their end? They do thousands of deals a year. They have seen almost everything.
Daniel got back to me real quick. Sales tax does not have to be paid at the dealership. They actually prefer to not even mess with it but they will if the customer wants it that way. For me, I'm already at $56k OTD ($65K MSRP)after doing XR package and the required Etorque V6. I'd rather not add anything too that. So, all good......

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Daniel got back to me real quick. Sales tax does not have to be paid at the dealership. They actually prefer to not even mess with it but they will if the customer wants it that way. For me, I'm already at $56k OTD ($65K MSRP)after doing XR package and the required Etorque V6. I'd rather not add anything too that. So, all good......
That makes sense as I had specifically asked them to roll it in for my situation.

docmac

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe
I ordered a 4xe from Gupton on 7/2/21 and want to get all ducks in a row before I hear from Daniel, so just a few questions...
  • How long before delivery did Daniel contact you to begin the paperwork/credit check process?
  • Massachusetts insurance companies don’t recognize the TN temporary plate, so I was told that I need to have my MA plates at time of delivery so I can drive it home fully insured. How was the RMV plate process for you? Was it all done vis FedEx?
  • Any good recommendations for lunch nearby?
As for lunch, if you can get there, the Depot is a decent place, located beside the railroad about a 6 min drive from Gupton

Steve123

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non yet
Just got home after picking up my jeep at Gupton. Everything went just as smoothly as everyone has been saying. Daniel sent me everything needed to register the vehicle before flying down (and my insurance company did the rest). I was in and out of there in 30 min—could not have been any easier. Super impressed.

Kim2021Rubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR, 2018 JKUR, 2021 JLUR ON ORDER
Does anyone know if Gupton puts their own decal on the Jeeps?

jeeeeeeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Does anyone know if Gupton puts their own decal on the Jeeps?
They did on my girlfriend's (didn't think about it). It's an oval about 2x3". I requested they not put it on mine when it comes in and he said ok. We'll see...
Sponsored