Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So long as you don’t stop in the middle for an extended period of time, you should be fine. The seals on the JL doors are pretty darn good. After completing the crossing, I had just a little dribble of water make it past the weatherstripping, not even enough to drip onto the carpet. Some of the guys with olderJeeps fared a little worse, only the guy with aftermarket half doors had any considerable amount of water in his Jeep.
Thanks, I have never been in any water that deep. I was wondering how the seals did. That's good info to know.
I guess the guy with the half-doors had older Jeep and didn't mind water-filled Jeep. :like:

I would mind!!! :swear::swear::swear: :facepalm:
Sponsored

OP
OP
NewJLU2019

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The current picture in my avatar is actually from the only somewhat technical portion of the whole trail. Just a short downhill stretch that will flex your suspension pretty good, but there is a bypass (that the stock Toyotas following us took) should you choose to avoid it. One guy in our group did bend a sway bar link on this part of the trail, but it had been previously damaged/weakened and wouldn't have been an issue had he disconnected his sway bar.

Edit: Added full pic...
20200515_135344.jpg
:facepalm: Wow, that is an uneven spot !!!

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

oh man Mojave trail was amazing!. i went with @Blu bi Kong and a few other members about a year ago and it was a blast. Crossed the Mojave river, couple nights camping and telling stories. was a great place to go. Highly recommend it!. As for the black fenders i have owned my 2018 sport for a year and a half. and haven't had any issues. I used Aerospace 303 to clean them looking good. only reason i keep my plastic black fenders is if they scratch a wall while wheeling its not the end of the world to me. but if they're painted id be a little bummed to bang them up a bit. it comes down to if you ever plan to replace the fenders with some good high clearance one. and if you have the money to pay for the paint match stuff. added a couple pics from the trip. I also have a video of me crossing it on my instagram. @smokeytheJLU

Jeep Wrangler JL Questions for Fellow Jeep Owners IMG_0364.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Questions for Fellow Jeep Owners IMG_0394.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Questions for Fellow Jeep Owners IMG_0403.JPG

OP
OP
NewJLU2019

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
oh man Mojave trail was amazing!. i went with @Blu bi Kong and a few other members about a year ago and it was a blast. Crossed the Mojave river, couple nights camping and telling stories. was a great place to go. Highly recommend it!. As for the black fenders i have owned my 2018 sport for a year and a half. and haven't had any issues. I used Aerospace 303 to clean them looking good. only reason i keep my plastic black fenders is if they scratch a wall while wheeling its not the end of the world to me. but if they're painted id be a little bummed to bang them up a bit. it comes down to if you ever plan to replace the fenders with some good high clearance one. and if you have the money to pay for the paint match stuff. added a couple pics from the trip. I also have a video of me crossing it on my instagram. @smokeytheJLU

Very cool, the Jeepers stopped under that bridge and had lunch if I remember right from the video. Thanks for the feedback! :like: Something to put on my bucket list.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
I’ve had my rubicon for two years and so far the plastic fenders are holding up pretty well only thing about the plastic ones are you get a lot of road debris that knicks and chips away at them sometimes. Was thinking about swapping them out for painted fenders
But I also use some of that plastic restorer as a precaution whenever I wash it

Around the 2 year mark here as well. I haven’t tried any plastic conditioners on the fenders yet though. They do ok (unpainted) i chose that when i got mine because i liked the contrast - second time around if i get another JL or move to the JT i will probably get the painted fenders. The black/unpainted ones do ok, but it gets hard (without using a conditioner) to keep them not all faded/sun bleached looking.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I have never been that deep.
Completely unrelated to this topic but related to the quote.
You need to go knee deep in tacos with taco delite in Wylie. If you have never been, you’re missing out. Get their tacos without the lettuce. The nachos are on point. As are the beans. As is everything on their menu. You. Must. Eat.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Curtis, I hope all is well my friend. I like the Amoral protectant on the black trim better than the Mcguires. It seemed shinier and stayed nice for 6 months.
I thought about you this spring here in NYC. May was like the new March with temps right above freezing (Curtis weather). For those that don’t know my pal Curtis would drive through Siberia with the top open! Lol.
Thank God it’s 70’s-80’s here the last couple weeks.
Take care buddy and be safe.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
The first question is has anyone made the 3 Day trip down the Mojave Road to the Travelers Monument? I saw a group of Jeepers do it on a U-tube video.
If so how was it? Thinking for retirement thing to do one day.

Second question. How are the Black plastic fenders and the Black Hardtops holding up under Sun/UV?

Are they fading maybe turning Whiteish?

Going to pull the trigger soon a 2021 Rubicon or Recon and I see ton's of Rubicons with the Black fenders and Black Hardtops. Some have Matching color fenders with the Black Hardtops.

I know the matching Color Hardtops and matching color fenders are a little higher price.

Just wondering how they are holding up. Texas summers are brutal on colored plastics.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have or info.
only in the furnace of the southern sunshine you get the right faded paint job and rustic look of a real workhorse

OP
OP
NewJLU2019

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Curtis, I hope all is well my friend. I like the Amoral protectant on the black trim better than the Mcguires. It seemed shinier and stayed nice for 6 months.
I thought about you this spring here in NYC. May was like the new March with temps right above freezing (Curtis weather). For those that don’t know my pal Curtis would drive through Siberia with the top open! Lol.
Thank God it’s 70’s-80’s here the last couple weeks.
Take care buddy and be safe.
Summer starts here on June 20th. We are already having 100-degree temps and well above average temps mid to high 90's. Not looking forward to a long hot summer. I have always used Amoral inside autos and been using on the plastic around fender wells. Have not used elsewhere outside the auto. I am Still using the Bestop protectant on my Sky One top.

Stay Safe !! :like:

Last edited:

muskynut

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JLU SPORT-S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My first Wrangler was a 2015 JKS. The beast leaked like a crazy, front back soggy insulation. Now the fenders on that one was major up keep all the time, would fade. Found a product from the "Chemical Guys" that kept them looking like new, but a lot of work.

Now I have a 2018 JLSs Granite metalic with black fenders and tops, from a distance people think it is a Sahara, those fenders and tops no problems at all, no fading, very easy to keep looking like new. NO WORRIES.

Sponsored

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
I got the black plastic for several reasons:
Doesn't show scratches if you scrape something as much as painted ones will
Easier to find a used replacement if needed without having to paint it to match
I like the contrast - too much of a good color is still too much
Less to polish/wax if you are into that detailing your Jeep thing

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Eleven months here down in Hades (FL), no garage, tropical rain, humidity, and hotter than normal days up to the mid-90s. No fading. I use Maguires as well.

0C455A21-CD24-423A-AD31-1E84A669E9CC.jpeg

OP
OP
NewJLU2019

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Eleven months here down in Hades (FL), no garage, tropical rain, humidity, and hotter than normal days up to the mid-90s. No fading. I use Maguires as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Questions for Fellow Jeep Owners 0C455A21-CD24-423A-AD31-1E84A669E9CC
Hello, my friend. I take it you didn't turn the old shed into a garage you thought you might do? :jk: :sun::rain::tumbleweed:

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase