Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The first question is has anyone made the 3 Day trip down the Mojave Road to the Travelers Monument? I saw a group of Jeepers do it on a U-tube video.
If so how was it? Thinking for retirement thing to do one day.

Second question. How are the Black plastic fenders and the Black Hardtops holding up under Sun/UV?

Are they fading maybe turning Whiteish?

Going to pull the trigger soon a 2021 Rubicon or Recon and I see ton's of Rubicons with the Black fenders and Black Hardtops. Some have Matching color fenders with the Black Hardtops.

I know the matching Color Hardtops and matching color fenders are a little higher price.

Just wondering how they are holding up. Texas summers are brutal on colored plastics.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have or info.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
In 2012 I did the Mojave Road from the Colorado River to the detour to Baker. It’s fun and exciting for the first couple days. But then it becomes much of the same.

Worth doing, though. Now I can say I’ve done it. It’s one of those things you want to do once in your life.

Good luck.

Jeep Wrangler JL Questions for Fellow Jeep Owners 1591136859347

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The first question is has anyone made the 3 Day trip down the Mojave Road to the Travelers Monument? I saw a group of Jeepers do it on a U-tube video.

Second question. How are the Black plastic fenders and the Black Hardtops holding up under Sun/UV?

Going to pull the trigger soon a 2021 Rubicon or Recon and I see ton's of Rubicons with the Black fenders and Black Hardtops. Some have Matching color fenders with the Black Hardtops.

I know the matching Color Hardtops and matching color fenders are a little higher price.

Just wondering how they are holding up. Texas summers are brutal on colored plastics.

Hello my friend........ don’t have any info on the trail. But here’s pic of plastic top and fenders. We also live two doors down from hell in the summer...........:whew:.......

The day I bought it........

Jeep Wrangler JL Questions for Fellow Jeep Owners 57CF5E8F-726D-4A9B-813F-405141E73AEF
Today.........almost 2 years later....
Jeep Wrangler JL Questions for Fellow Jeep Owners 6F1E9C30-5134-4921-8E0C-3470FDFFB233

It’s in the garage when we’re not in it, and it gets wiped down with 303 every couple weeks or so.

First Name
Elgin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep rubicon jl

I’ve had my rubicon for two years and so far the plastic fenders are holding up pretty well only thing about the plastic ones are you get a lot of road debris that knicks and chips away at them sometimes. Was thinking about swapping them out for painted fenders
But I also use some of that plastic restorer as a precaution whenever I wash it

Jeep Wrangler JL Questions for Fellow Jeep Owners 89B8A041-99D4-47D9-B8B7-CA9114650E4C

Jeep Wrangler JL Questions for Fellow Jeep Owners AC92AB11-140E-4076-9C58-77674ED3F78B

Jeep Wrangler JL Questions for Fellow Jeep Owners 8323637C-06CE-475E-922A-1186D8FAB8ED

OP
OP
NewJLU2019

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
In 2012 I did the Mojave Road from the Colorado River to the detour to Baker. It’s fun and exciting for the first couple days. But then it becomes much of the same.

Worth doing, though. Now I can say I’ve done it. It’s one of those things you want to do once in your life.

Good luck.

Jeep Wrangler JL Questions for Fellow Jeep Owners 8323637C-06CE-475E-922A-1186D8FAB8ED
Thanks for the info. The video they went during maybe early or in late winter. It snowed one night few inches, One Jeep broke a sway bar bracket and one broke a shock bracket and one scraped rock and cut sidewall. It is for sure a group thing I would think. There were 5 Jeeps in the group. I was just wondering first hand from someone on the forum. Thanks for the reply.
Take Care !!
Curtis

Sponsored

OP
OP
NewJLU2019

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had my rubicon for two years and so far the plastic fenders are holding up pretty well only thing about the plastic ones are you get a lot of road debris that knicks and chips away at them sometimes. Was thinking about swapping them out for painted fenders
But I also use some of that plastic restorer as a precaution whenever I wash it

Thanks for the info. I have been wondering just how they hold up. The Maguiars Restorer looks like it does the job. Thanks!
Stay Safe !!

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I've used that same Meguiar's Black product on my plastics every six months. Everything still looks great. I've read the graying of the plastics is usually from using crappy plastic restoration products (alcohol based?) to blacken your plastics. Temporary fix which then turns them gray(er) in the long run.

Also just ran the Mojave road about a week ago. Great trip. Make sure to go during a good time of year and take as many offshoot trails to the various points of interest as you can fit into your schedule. Some cool history (and some oddities) out there in the desert. Nothing technical, but be prepared for lots of washboard dirt road.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
The current picture in my avatar is actually from the only somewhat technical portion of the whole trail. Just a short downhill stretch that will flex your suspension pretty good, but there is a bypass (that the stock Toyotas following us took) should you choose to avoid it. One guy in our group did bend a sway bar link on this part of the trail, but it had been previously damaged/weakened and wouldn't have been an issue had he disconnected his sway bar.

Edit: Added full pic...
Jeep Wrangler JL Questions for Fellow Jeep Owners 20200515_135344

Last edited:
OP
OP
NewJLU2019

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello my friend........ don’t have any info on the trail. But here’s pic of plastic top and fenders. We also live two doors down from hell in the summer...........:whew:.......

The day I bought it........

Today.........almost 2 years later....

It’s in the garage when we’re not in it, and it gets wiped down with 303 every couple weeks or so.
Well Hello, my friend! Yes, I still keep my Jelly stored. :swear: Your Jeep was one of the ones I had seen with the Black Fenders and Hardtop. Lots on the forum as well as around DFW here. You use the 303 and it looks like it works well too.

I too keep my Jeep in the garage. Most of my friends use their garages to store things in and park outside. My thoughts on that are the garage is to park your autos in not store things.

Well, now that I have a few first-hand Jeep owners I have more peace of mind. I just was not sure how they hold up.

Well, thanks for the reply and keep adding your photos so I can keep my Jelly stocked. :like::swear::swear:

Take care and stay safe!
Curtis

OP
OP
NewJLU2019

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The current picture in my avatar is actually from the only somewhat technical portion of the whole trail. Just a short downhill stretch that will flex your suspension pretty good, but there is a bypass (that the stock Toyotas following us took) should you choose to avoid it. One guy in our group did bend a sway bar link on this part of the trail, but it had been previously damaged/weakened and wouldn't have been an issue had he disconnected his sway bar.
Wow, the video was 36 mins long and highlighted trip. Never saw any areas as you show. I can see why some of the Jeeps did break things. They were all Very well modified Jeeps. They did say bring complete toolsets. But looks like it would be fun to do once.

Thanks for your reply. Stay Safe!

Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Wow, the video was 36 mins long and highlighted trip. Never saw any areas as you show. I can see why some of the Jeeps did break things. They were all Very well modified Jeeps. They did say bring complete toolsets. But looks like it would be fun to do once.

Thanks for your reply. Stay Safe!
I know of the video of which you speak and have watched it a number of times. He puts together great videos. I'm not really sure how they broke parts. My only guess would be previous damage that was pushed to the point of failure by all the road vibration. Tools are always a good idea, I could have been stranded by the leaky valve core I ended up with after airing down my tires at the trailhead!

OP
OP
NewJLU2019

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've used that same Meguiar's Black product on my plastics every six months. Everything still looks great. I've read the graying of the plastics is usually from using crappy plastic restoration products (alcohol based?) to blacken your plastics. Temporary fix which then turns them gray(er) in the long run.

Also just ran the Mojave road about a week ago. Great trip. Make sure to go during a good time of year and take as many offshoot trails to the various points of interest as you can fit into your schedule. Some cool history (and some oddities) out there in the desert. Nothing technical, but be prepared for lots of washboard dirt road.
Yes, the guy who leads them had gone once but didn't stop as many places as they did this time. The Penny can that was hanging from the tree. The Garden Nomes, toy turtles, and toy Jeeps piled up at one point. They did camp at places well off-road. It looks like something to do once.

OP
OP
NewJLU2019

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well Hello, my friend! Yes, I still keep my Jelly stored. :swear: Your Jeep was one of the ones I had seen with the Black Fenders and Hardtop. Lots on the forum as well as around DFW here. You use the 303 and it looks like it works well too.

I too keep my Jeep in the garage. Most of my friends use their garages to store things in and park outside. My thoughts on that are the garage is to park your autos in not store things.

Well, now that I have a few first-hand Jeep owners I have more peace of mind. I just was not sure how they hold up.

Well, thanks for the reply and keep adding your photos so I can keep my Jelly stocked. :like::swear::swear:

Take care and stay safe!
Curtis
Quick? I watched them at the end of the road and they crossed the river. It was pretty full and they did cross slow but the water was halfway up the doors. Will water come inside doors in that deep of water? I have never been that deep.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Quick? I watched them at the end of the road and they crossed the river. It was pretty full and they did cross slow but the water was halfway up the doors. Will water come inside doors in that deep of water? I have never been that deep.
So long as you don’t stop in the middle for an extended period of time, you should be fine. The seals on the JL doors are pretty darn good. After completing the crossing, I had just a little dribble of water make it past the weatherstripping, not even enough to drip onto the carpet. Some of the guys with olderJeeps fared a little worse, only the guy with aftermarket half doors had any considerable amount of water in his Jeep.
Sponsored